• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding Bell pepper and Banana pepper hybrid?

Sorry if this is a dumb question but does such a thing exist? Is it possible to make?

I am interested in making the sweetest pepper possible. The idea in mind is that it can be eaten like a strawberry or pear.

Is there a more fruity/sweet variety I could use? Any tips or advice is welcome.

Does it exist? Since they are both pretty common peppers, I would imagine that it has likely happened before, either intentionally or by accidental cross-pollination.

Is it possible to make? Sure. Bell and Banana peppers are the same species after all. They are both Capsicum Annuum. So it would actually be a cross, but not a hybrid.

Fatalii.net has a handy guide to crossing here: https://www.fatalii.net/Growing_chile_peppers/Breeding There is a chart at the bottom that gives you an idea of what kinds of crosses are possible.

Very sweet pepper varieties do exist. A few examples:

Aji Fantasy
Aji Strawberry Drop
Bishop's Crown
Brazilian Starfish
Sugar Cane (PL)
Sugar Rush
Tekne Dolmasi
Venezuelan Tiger

BlackFatalii said:
Aji Fantasy
Aji Strawberry Drop
Bishop's Crown
Brazilian Starfish
Sugar Cane (PL)
Sugar Rush
Tekne Dolmasi
Venezuelan Tiger

There are so many different varieties, is there a master list somewhere of all the peppers that we know of?

pepperpen15 said:

There are so many different varieties, is there a master list somewhere of all the peppers that we know of?

Not that I know of. Wikipedia estimates 50,000 varieties in existence https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Capsicum_cultivars#targetText=There%20are%20five%20major%20species,are%20several%20%22taxonomic%20varieties%22., so that would be a helluva long list anyway.

There are a number of "favorite pepper" threads on THP. You could maybe use those or YouTube pod reviews to help narrow down what varieties you think you might be interested in. The ones I listed were just some of the sweet-tasting ones that I have tried that I thought you might want to take a look at.

Back