• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

Bender's 10-pepper sauce

First off, let me start by saying I never follow recipes. Or measure ingredients. I just throw it all together and hope it comes out okay :P. I'm a fan of simple recipes and don't like adding extra frills to my food. I started by harvesting a load of peppers from the garden. Whatever was ripe at the time went into the sauce.

IMG_5679.jpg

From top left, moving clockwise: Super Chilis, Red Habs, Jalapenos, Bulgarian Carrot, Mexibelles, Poblano, Gypsy Bells, Cayenne, Purple Beauty. Black Pearls in the center.

I roasted a slew of garlic (4 full heads, to be exact, drizzled in olive oil, 45 minutes-ish), and all of the peppers (10 minutes for each side)

IMG_5680.jpg

Everything went into the blender until smooth, then simmered over low heat for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. I added a splash of white vinegar to the mix to keep it from getting to thick.

IMG_5682.jpg

The finished product.

IMG_5683.jpg

It has an excellent smoky peppery flavor followed by a pretty intense burn. I think this is probably my favorite sauce to date, and one of the simplest as well.

That sounds like it would be good Bender!
You've got plenty of garlic in there and I like my garlic!
I really like the added flavor of the peppers being roasted and toasted.... lot's of extra flavor!
Let that sit for a few days for all the flavors to meld and I bet it will be awesome.
Nice work!

Update! 5 days in the fridge has turned this into an entirely different entity. It lost some heat, but the smoky/roasted flavor has increased by a lot. This is still, by far, my favorite sauce I've ever made

This looks spectacular! I think I am going to give it a shot for my first time making my own sauce.

Can you give some more details on how to roast the peppers please?

This looks spectacular! I think I am going to give it a shot for my first time making my own sauce.

Can you give some more details on how to roast the peppers please?

Thanks! Roasting the peppers is quite easy. Set some aluminum foil over a flat baking pan and turn on your oven's broiler to high. Big peppers I cut in half longitudinally, small ones stay whole, then put them under the flame for roughly 8-10 minutes per side. You want the skin to start to blister and peel. You can also grill or smoke the peppers (and I think smoking gives the best flavor).

I actually just made a new sauce out of peach bhuts, aji lemon and mango. It has a nice fruity flavor with a good long burn afterward.

I actually just made a new sauce out of peach bhuts, aji lemon and mango. It has a nice fruity flavor with a good long burn afterward.

This is actually one of the reasons I'm attracted to this particular recipe. My friend gave me a highly recommended recipe of his, but along with many of the ones listed on this page, make use of a lot of sweet and fruity ingredients like honey, light brown sugar, apple cider, etc.

I don't want a sweet or fruity sauce, I want a savory and zesty sauce. The one change I will probably make to your recipe is adding some salt :)

I made some sauce generally true to the spirit of your recipe. I added 1 medium-sized onion, as well as a good dose of salt.

Once I blended all the ingredients until smooth, I had a frappe which only took up about half of the volume of the blender.

I had previously roasted all of the peppers I had added, but I continued to add fresh peppers until I reached a suitable volume in the blender carboy. I also added a 1:1 white vinegar to tap water solution as was required to sufficiently blend all of the ingredients

The nice thing about this step was that I used about 18 different varieties of peppers in the process, so I was able to adjust the piquance of the sauce to my personal tastes using the fresh pods as I proceeded.

Once blended, I simmered and reduced the sauce for about an hour as suggested.

I ended up with about a liter of sauce (due to my addition of extra fresh peppers in the blending process), they all sealed hermetically, taste great, and have an awesome piquance.

Considering personal taste, I would suggest adding a little more garlic, roasting the peppers a little bit longer, nudging the vinegar: water ratio a little more toward 1:3-4, and using the blending stage to optimize the piquance to your personal taste.

Otherwise, this is an awesome recipe for a savory, zesty, all-purpose hot sauce!

That picture of the cloves of garlic, did you peel them after you roasted them or did they go straight into the blender as they were? I never thought of blending the outer shells. When I am making dinner I always peel garlic before cutting it and putting it in the sauce pan. But then I basically have them raw in my dishes and thrown in at the last few seconds to heat up.

I've just followed this recipe. I had a small batch of Peter Peppers to use up as they were shriveling up on the plants. It's the first time that I've tried making a Chili sauce so for me this was a trial run.

I barely filled a half sized brown beer bottle with the same kind of plug as pictured above. It's also the first time that I have roasted any garlic. My god I didn't realise how nice roasted garlic is. I peeled the garlic before blending it. I used rice vinegar and water (about 1:1 but I added a splash more water later on when cooking). I deviated from the recipe by squeezing a whole lemon into it, well almost a whole lemon, I dropped one half on the floor after a few squeezes.

I sterilised the beer bottle in a stock pot of boiling water for 15 minutes and then realised that I needed to use an unsterilised plastic funnel to get the sauce in there. But hopefully the mix should be acidic enough to kill any bacteria. I think I'll put it in the freezer after a few days until I need it to be on the safe side. I'm going to buy a metal funnel for next year which I can easily sterilise. I don't trust plastic not to melt. Hopefully then I'll have my pressure cooker back as well.

Awesome man I love hot sauce thanks for sharing

Bender Rodriguez said:
First off, let me start by saying I never follow recipes. Or measure ingredients. I just throw it all together and hope it comes out okay http://thehotpepper.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/icon_razz.gif. I'm a fan of simple recipes and don't like adding extra frills to my food. I started by harvesting a load of peppers from the garden. Whatever was ripe at the time went into the sauce.

IMG_5679.jpg

From top left, moving clockwise: Super Chilis, Red Habs, Jalapenos, Bulgarian Carrot, Mexibelles, Poblano, Gypsy Bells, Cayenne, Purple Beauty. Black Pearls in the center.

I roasted a slew of garlic (4 full heads, to be exact, drizzled in olive oil, 45 minutes-ish), and all of the peppers (10 minutes for each side)

IMG_5680.jpg

Everything went into the blender until smooth, then simmered over low heat for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. I added a splash of white vinegar to the mix to keep it from getting to thick.

IMG_5682.jpg

The finished product.

IMG_5683.jpg

It has an excellent smoky peppery flavor followed by a pretty intense burn. I think this is probably my favorite sauce to date, and one of the simplest as well.

Back