• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

powder-flake Best grinder for powdering chili

romy6 said:
If your dried  peppers do not crumble into pieces when you rub them between your fingers they are not ready to grind :)

Anyway :rolleyes: who wants a powder that is the fine as  flour. Not me  :drooling:

There is a lot of wisdom in both of Jamie's comments. Make sure they are dry. 8 hours at 55C is probably not enough. My cheap azz dehydrator had a 85C thermostat and it would take 8-12 hours. I've since changed the thermostat, but that is another thread topic. 

Super fine powders are really tough on the nose when they get airborne. I'm okay with a little coarser grind on the really hot powders. 

Any cheap $20 coffee grinder will work fine, or Jamie's blender idea. pepper skins are not tough to slice through. 

Scoville DeVille said:
Struggling with pod skins? Please... And I love Breville.

This chingadera has been chewing up my spices for ten years and will still powder up 5 whole nutmegs like soft butter.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/waring-wsg30-commercial-spice-grinder-120v/929WSG30.html?gclid=CJu6kNmVtrwCFVJcfgod6WsAZA

attachicon.gif
image.jpg

Thats a grinder with blades yeah? 

I use a Moulinex coffee grinder, it comes with two blades and won't start until is fully closed and locked so it's safe as well. Depending on the grinding time you can obtain flakes or very fine powder. Wait a minute before opening after a grind cycle or you'll get hot powder cloud in your face :)

Cya

Datil

arcticchili said:
Thats a grinder with blades yeah?
Yes, it comes with three stainless grinding bowls with storage lids. Each bowl has blades and are easy to clean. If "chile flakes" are desired, just pulse a few times, hold it ON and in a few seconds you will have moon dust. I cant tell you how much i love this thing. Note... You cannot use any liquids in it. It is designed and intended solely for spices, (coffee too lol).

I found a picture of the blades inside the grinding bowl.

View attachment 9304

I got one of these for $29. Stainless, so should last and it makes superfine powder, which I prefer. Mind you, it really does get into everything as you grind it. Top tip - put a damp dishtowel over the top while grinding. 

$400 ? WTF??????

$120... Max!
Yeah JHP, I went thru 2 Krupps, 2 Mr. Coffee's and a Hamilton before I found my WARING. That's over $100 on "throw-aways".

Yeah, its 400 bucks in Norway, and 160GBP in the UK for Waring. 120v on 240v doesn't really give any value for the money :) $120 and I would have bought two of them. Maybe I can research if its possible to only switch the power intake on it. I assume the bits and pieces inside is running on converted power or something. I´ll have a look around. However, I dried the chillies even further than usual today, still not fine dust powder with the Wilfa :( Even after tuning it. It grinder well with whole cumin, sea salt, black pepper and coriander seeds blended with the chillies. 

arcticmixpowder1-223x300.jpg

Oh crap, I forgot, you guys have different outlet devices than here.
I can tell you that the cord on it is 300v 3 x 18 AWG (0.824mm) with a U.S. Standard "3 prong" plug.
If you can ship one from the US, do they have adapters for the plugs? Like if i brought my curling iron on vacation with me to Norway? :rofl:

This is starting to sound complicated so I'll just shut up. But if you need any help, or have questions, just let me know.

View attachment 9310

Its using 200w and a adapter for 200w+ is around 300 bucks, so it would be the same price as buying one here :D I have not been able to figure out if the motor is running on 120v or converted voltage. But I´m looking around, sounds like a beast of a machine ;)

Holy crap! So 1 U.S. dollar = 6.22 Krones? That explains why stuff is so expensive, I guess?

I highly doubt the voltage is converted, but I am no expert on that stuff. You sound much smarter than me about all that. lol
On the bottom of the machine it says... 120v 60Hz 175W does that tell you anything?
I can tell you that the thing is loud and powerful. In fact when I bought it, they warned me that this is a commercial machine, it's loud, and not intended for home use. It has a huge cord (18 AWG) for a small appliance. The cord is bigger than the one on our meat slicer. And you can put 5-7 whole nutmegs in there at a time, just as an example of the power it has.

ok, so the difference between the 240v and 120v is 

120v: 60hz 175w
240: 120hz 200w

That being said, even more powerful then! 

I use an 20 year old Braun coffee grinder.  Nothing fancy, just on and off.  I can put whole dried peppers in there and the blades will turn it to powder in about 2-3 min of running.  Now, I wouldn't want to do high volume amounts with it like you would for selling powders commercially, but for home use its perfect and cheap.

braun-coffee-grinder.jpg

I'm always seeing used cheap blade grinders at Goodwill for a couple bucks. Might be worth trying. If it breaks, you're not out too much.

I bought a Magic Bullet about five years ago and it works like a charm for me.  I dry them in my cheapass Ronco, then rough chop in my food processor before grinding in the MB.

Back