• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

Best Heat to Flavour Ratio?

Not sure how clear the thread title is, but basically this is an inquisition on which hot sauces have the best balance of heat and flavour.

Right now I'm a noob to the scene, been messing around with different hot sauces, and I got a grasp of what I like.

I started off with Pain 100% which has an awesome habanero burn and flavour too it, and is always great in pasta sauce.

Then I got the revered Dave's Insanity sauce, and honestly, I was really disappointed in the taste.
The burn was present no doubt, but it really had a taste I found I couldn't mix properly with anything.

Then I fell in love with Mad Dog's Inferno :mouthonfire:, for me this has been the ultimate burn to date, but what I really love is the fact that besides this, it has a terrific, unique flavour to it which is great with meats, chili, even ramen noodles!

El Yucateco XXXtra Hot Habanero sauce is another personal favourite of mine, for less then 4 bucks it packs a surprising punch, and an excellent additive to all things Mexican!

Right now I'm waiting on my Jersey Death, which will be a definite graduation in pain for me, but I've heard good things about the flavour as well.

As for you guys, which sauces have not compromised taste for heat?

Bubonic said:
El Yucateco XXXtra Hot Habanero sauce is another personal favourite of mine, for less then 4 bucks it packs a surprising punch, and an excellent additive to all things Mexican!

As for you guys, which sauces have not compromised taste for heat?

El Yucateco was recommended to me a while ago, it dosen't contain extract does it? For a great taste and medium/hot heat the Snakebite PR is good.

Nope, it's all natural.
Be sure to get XXXTRA hot sauce, "salsa Kutbil-ik de chile habanero", it really has a taste like no other, has me believing it actually is an old Mayan recipe.
Some of the others in their line apparently have food colouring though.

I don't mind a bit of food colouring, I just like to know about whether it contains extract when I buy it. It's not a health issue, just a taste one.

Bubonic said:
Right now I'm waiting on my Jersey Death, which will be a definite graduation in pain for me, but I've heard good things about the flavour as well.

It has a good Cayenne flavour that makes it surprisingly tasty for an extract sauce. It is worth a try if you're into really hot sauces.

I'm curious about the Snakebite, heard so much good about it....

rainbowberry said:
I don't mind a bit of food colouring, I just like to know about whether it contains extract when I buy it. It's not a health issue, just a taste one.

Alright, that might be the root of my Dave Insanity dislike, but I do love Mad Dog Inferno very much.
So many it comes down to the crafter of the sauce.

Chiliac said:
It has a good Cayenne flavour that makes it surprisingly tasty for an extract sauce. It is worth a try if you're into really hot sauces.

I'm curious about the Snakebite, heard so much good about it....

From the reviews I've been reading, I definitely won't be sticking a spoon of this stuff into my face unadulterated :lol:

Snakebite is intriguing, but its not on my Canadian online shop.

Bubonic said:
From the reviews I've been reading, I definitely won't be sticking a spoon of this stuff into my face unadulterated :lol:

Snakebite is intriguing, but its not on my Canadian online shop.

Nah, don't. The toothpick method cames in handy. :) I had a mate and his gf over a few days ago and asked him if he wanted to try it (wasn't sure if she's into hot stuff). I dipped the toothpick into the sauce and handed it to him. He touched the tip of it with his tongue and kept sweating and coughing for minutes. He can take sth maybe it wasn't his best day. Then his gf grabbed the toothpick, licked it clean and said "it's not that hot"....

YOu can get the Snakebite on ebay or straight from the chileman.

Chiliac said:
Nah, don't. The toothpick method cames in handy. :) I had a mate and his gf over a few days ago and asked him if he wanted to try it (wasn't sure if she's into hot stuff). I dipped the toothpick into the sauce and handed it to him. He touched the tip of it with his tongue and kept sweating and coughing for minutes. He can take sth maybe it wasn't his best day. Then his gf grabbed the toothpick, licked it clean and said "it's not that hot"....

YOu can get the Snakebite on ebay or straight from the chileman.

Oh, how I wish I was still living in the dormitory, if only to test sauces on the passed out denizens!

I order from Chily Chiles, its a Canadian hot sauce place one province over from me. Saves me paying extra cross border tariffs and taxes.

I'm pretty sure the Jersey will hold me over though, depending on how hot Pain 100% is, my hottest sauce at the moment rates 90k on the scovile chart.

Apparently Jersey could be up between 700k to a million :mouthonfire:!

It is said to have 350K.

You can find a list of Scoville rankings of popular sauces here

It is based on manufacturer's information and info found on the internet.

Chiliac said:
It is said to have 350K.

You can find a list of Scoville rankings of popular sauces here

It is based on manufacturer's information and info found on the internet.

Well thanks, I'm guessing its more accurate then what I've been using?

Scott Roberts Scoville Scale

Not that I had any reason to believe this Roberts fellow was an authority on the subject, yet his site did look nice :).

Whatever the case may be, I'm pretty sure at my early stage of chileness, I probably couldn't tell the difference between 350k and 700k.

Well, I change my favourite sauces every month or two, but best total sauce I've had is CaJohn's 10. 8 on the heat scale, 10 +++ for flavour.

Best sauce which is a 10 on the heat scale is CaJohn's Z Nothing Beyond. Easily the best extract sauce I've had. Found out over the weekend that if you are out of Defcon 1 wing sauce, which I unfortunately am, it does a great job of spicing up Defcon 2...

Hot Canuck said:
Well, I change my favourite sauces every month or two, but best total sauce I've had is CaJohn's 10. 8 on the heat scale, 10 +++ for flavour.

Best sauce which is a 10 on the heat scale is CaJohn's Z Nothing Beyond. Easily the best extract sauce I've had. Found out over the weekend that if you are out of Defcon 1 wing sauce, which I unfortunately am, it does a great job of spicing up Defcon 2...

I need to find myself a new online Canadian chily shop!
I'm not getting any of these at Chily Chiles! :shocked:

The site doesn't look that bad, I wonder what his data is based on. I like the idea of including the pepper spray!!!

I meant to try the 10 for a while now, but haven't done so yet. One day.... soon...

Hot Canuck said:
http://www.unclebig.com/index.htm

The above is who I use. Good selection. You can search under CaJohns, or go to shopping and browse the Ultra Hots. UBK's Serial Killer is another good one.

I can't thank you enough for this my fellow Canuklehead!
I am so very happy, I just need to seriously browse this site in order not to purchase any stinkers!

Bubonic said:
I can't thank you enough for this my fellow Canuklehead!
I am so very happy, I just need to seriously browse this site in order not to purchase any stinkers!

http://www.hotsauce.com/

The above link is the shopping site associated with this site. Good variety and descriptions, but you pay more for shipping as it's coming from the U.S. I have used them a couple of times, with no complaints.

You can browse by manufacturer:

http://www.hotsauce.com/Shop-Hot-Sauces-by-Brands-s/2.htm

or by extra hots:

http://www.hotsauce.com/Extreme-Hot-Sauces-and-Snacks-at-HotSauce-com-s/67.htm

I am pretty partial to CaJohns and Danny Cash sauces, and Defcon and UBK for wing sauces. One who seems to be reviewed well, but I have yet to really sample, is Kato's.

Do a search under any of these producers and you should quickly come up with their website, where you can really get a good look at their products. I have over 30 sauces in my fridge, and I still feel like I've just scratched the surface. If you have any questions about a particular sauce, just post it under the sauce area, and one of us ( or probably many...lol...) will answer it.

Hot Canuck said:
http://www.hotsauce.com/

The above link is the shopping site associated with this site. Good variety and descriptions, but you pay more for shipping as it's coming from the U.S. I have used them a couple of times, with no complaints.

You can browse by manufacturer:

http://www.hotsauce.com/Shop-Hot-Sauces-by-Brands-s/2.htm

or by extra hots:

http://www.hotsauce.com/Extreme-Hot-Sauces-and-Snacks-at-HotSauce-com-s/67.htm

I am pretty partial to CaJohns and Danny Cash sauces, and Defcon and UBK for wing sauces. One who seems to be reviewed well, but I have yet to really sample, is Kato's.

Do a search under any of these producers and you should quickly come up with their website, where you can really get a good look at their products. I have over 30 sauces in my fridge, and I still feel like I've just scratched the surface. If you have any questions about a particular sauce, just post it under the sauce area, and one of us ( or probably many...lol...) will answer it.

Thanks again, I'm already loving this forum!

Just wondering how heavy I'd get hit with shipping charges, uncle big said something about up to 30$, which seems expensive for within Canada.

I'm in Montreal so I don't know how much it cost to get something like 10 five ounce bottles for either site, but they have good selection and prices.

As soon as I finish my exams and start bringing in more money I'll make the investment.

Oh, and finally, my girlfriend brought back Mega Death from Calgary instead of Jersey, but hell, I managed to burn myself a new one last night regardless!

Another good website for sauces and such is http://www.sweatnspice.com/ They are in NYC I think, so shipping to you shouldn't be too bad.

http://www.sweatnspice.com/shipping.php said:
For international orders we will ship via USPS to save you money.

On the El Yucateco, I like it as a regular table sauce, not too terribly hot. The green habanero sauce is a weird bright green, but tasty. (Note: Their website is done in Flash, and may be heavy for dialup users)

-Q

Hey Bubonic...

Keep posted on here. I usually let people know when I have sauce ready. I think you might like a few I have.

QuadShotz said:
Another good website for sauces and such is http://www.sweatnspice.com/ They are in NYC I think, so shipping to you shouldn't be too bad.

On the El Yucateco, I like it as a regular table sauce, not too terribly hot. The green habanero sauce is a weird bright green, but tasty. (Note: Their website is done in Flash, and may be heavy for dialup users)

-Q

I've only tried the reb habanero and xxxtra hot from el yucateco, and loved them both.
Yah, NYC is just a few hours away from here methinks.

DevilDuck said:
Hey Bubonic...

Keep posted on here. I usually let people know when I have sauce ready. I think you might like a few I have.

This is another aspect of the site I like, sauce makers frequent it. :)

Back