• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding Best Large Jalapeno

I don't have any of these monster jalapeno seeds - so I hope you boys won't be cheating :lol:

Anyone down for a largest jalapeno contest 2023? I found some huge ones at my market and saved seeds, one was exactly 5" (stem not counted of course). I was thinking of trying it. @Pepper-Guru @Downriver @Bou @Sinn @Crazy Monkey @MarcV @PaulG @HellfireFarm @Pr0digal_son @midwestchilehead @Grass Snake @PollenNut @HeatMiser @Tinkerbelle099

Just FYI, that's likely an F1 hybrid, so your seeds are going to produce some plants with wacky product. You aren't going to get those peppers constantly in the next generation.

aha I think I saw some biker billy seeds in a seed train package - drat can't find them again :(

Last edited:
I'll be following but I'm not going to join the party as I'm already wrestling with space as it is... 🤷‍♂️

...Going to F7 for 2022, I had to decide between two clear and obvious champion plants from the prior year. One plant featured peppers hot as f*ck, but a bit shorter and squattier in stature. The other bore a bit longer and slenderer peppers (perfect shape I'm chasing), but only moderately hot. I want that searing jala flavor, and taste is most important, so we selected the hotter sibling for the 2022 crop.

@Fatalii Attraction, nice looking peppers. If you saved any seeds from the slenderer one, I'd be happy to give it a grow for ya. Sounds like it's going in an interesting direction as well.

Anyone down for a largest jalapeno contest 2023? I found some huge ones at my market and saved seeds, one was exactly 5" (stem not counted of course). I was thinking of trying it. @Pepper-Guru @Downriver @Bou @Sinn @Crazy Monkey @MarcV @PaulG @HellfireFarm @Pr0digal_son @midwestchilehead @Grass Snake @PollenNut @HeatMiser @Tinkerbelle099
This is the year of the Jalapeno and Poblano both for me as I will be working with genetics from both of those this year very heavily. I'm definitely not chasing the worlds largest Jalapeno, but I will have many varieties to showcase. I would love to catalog and picture the largest best phenotypes from many of them for certain, but my main goal is to continue working variegation into many of my jalapeno/poblano lines along with a strong focus on flavor which has me utilizing some unusual and rare genetics this year.

408AAD2C-AA18-4F2C-A413-F1226100D5B6.jpeg

I know I’ve posted this pic before but, here’s a “Mammoth Jalapeño” I grew from a “Bonnie” plant I grabbed at Home Depot a few years ago. I was surprised to see the lack of corking on this one, while all of the small pods on the plant were corked like a mofo, lol. I don’t remember anything exceptional about it in the flavor department or anything though; it pretty much had the “standard” jalapeño taste and heat. All I remember is it taking FOREVER to ripen. Cheers 🍻

Last edited:
408AAD2C-AA18-4F2C-A413-F1226100D5B6.jpeg

I know I’ve posted this pic before but, here’s a “Mammoth Jalapeño” I grew from a “Bonnie” plant I grabbed at Home Depot a few years ago. I was surprised to see the lack of corking on this one, while all of the small pods on the plant were corked like a mofo, lol. I don’t remember it anything exceptional about it in the flavor department or anything though; it pretty much had the “standard” jalapeño taste and heat. All I remember is it taking FOREVER to ripen. Cheers 🍻

That one is “on the money”! 😉

Back