• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

powder-flake Best peppers for powder???

D3monic said:

Thankfully with AZ weather you can probably start seeds in late Aug - Sept and get lots of pods over the winter before may-june heat really does a number on them. I grew up in Tempe but never tried growing chilis there but there's a few members in the area. I think they rely on shade cloth quite a bit. 

Yea, sun beats plants up from May-Sep after around 12am till 6pm. I have to place mine to get afternoon shade very early. The exception is the bed just to the north of my house. For some reason it is a coolish pocket in my yard. I cannot grow in it during winter because it is shaded, but in summer it is a beast of a bed. Peppers are in sun till like 4pm and still don't die there with no cloth or anything. If anyone is also in AZ area, I am really looking into sunken greenhouses with underground cooling tubes. Thinking of digging 10ft, then raising the glass on top by like 8 feet, then running tubes 10ft underground to circulate the cooling. That should keep the temps in the 80's all summer with no AC because the earth is around 65 degrees down there! Off topic I know, but really cool and sustainable.

Pecan smoked Bhut Orange Copenhagen was a really good single pepper powder for me and a really good mix was Murupi Amarela, Yellow Fatali with a few yellow douglah for added heat.  It turned out a nice yellow.

This is my first successful season with lots of peppers, so I will FINALLY be able to start making things. I do have some Bhut plants cuzz I saw them on sale. What is the best way to use them? Also I will be crossing my Aleppo with a Fatalii Gourmet Jigsaw this season.

Benniehanas said:
Also I will be crossing my Aleppo with a Fatalii Gourmet Jigsaw this season.
What got you interested in that particular cross? Is there another annuum x chinense that turned you on to the idea?

Back