• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

flavor best taste

Fatalii is also my favorite chile in the very hot category. Northern New Mexico landrace chiles will always be my favorite of the medium heat types.

The Piquin is my favorite. I like it green then blistered to make sauce, red and fresh popped your mouth while eating, dried and toasted to make sauce, dried and powdered. It is the best all around chile with enough heat to get the job done with. The Chiltepin would be my second favorite it has a similar flavor.

Go with the Jalapeno. Great for stuffing, roasting or smoking. Love them pickled. AND....easy to grow.
:dance: :P :dance: :P :dance: :P

Gotta love chipotles! The only problem I have with the jalapenos is the lack of heat. I'm gonna cross em with a superhot and see what happens, hehe.

Pepperjoe.... wow, sort of got me into growing peppers! Like 10-15 years ago... sort of a tan construction paper'ish catalogue that I loved to get in the mail. I ordered quite a bit. If I remember, Timonium, MD. I'm a native Marylander who matriculated away 20+ yrs ago. Okay, sorry y'all... just good to see that image again.

Haven't tried quite a few others have mentioned but so far my personal favorites are (in no particular order):

Jamaican Hot Chocolate
Bhut Jolokia
Chiltepin
Barker's Hot
Carribean Red

...and the lowly Jalapeno. Big, juicy, delicious.

EDIT: Ooops forgot Bulgarian Carrot. Cruncy, prolific, fair amount of heat. Like a crunchier hotter Jalapeno. Great pickled.

Not sure why this is in Hot Product Reviews, and two mods posted :shame:

:lol:

Moved.

chocolate naga
chocolate 7
7pot yellow
jonah
douglah
bonda ma jaques
fatalii
tepin
pequin
thai birdsye
madame janette
scotch bonnet
tobasco
Aji lemon drop
chocolate hab
carribean red hab
just to name a few, while its true they dont have to be super hot to be delicious, it sure doesn't hurt ;)

:fire: :onfire:

Maybe it's the 4 varieties of aerated compost teas, drenchings with maxicrop and molasses, azomite since last year, varieties of hot composted manure, home-made vermicompost (worms are fun pets), and LOTS of straw for mulch, in short, amended clay soil for years, but this year's pepper crop is healthy, sweeter, hotter than years before, prolific, and turning sooner--probably weather. No orange habs this year, but am growing and using in order of less to more heat and maybe taste preference:

Harold St. Barts--really like this one for taste--smokey and sweet
Caribbean Reds--mine are hotter than orange habs, less prone/fewer lost to the gradou (black seeds etc) that orange can get inside, and MUCH sweeter, more of a candy flavor. Making mango hell jam today with these.
Fatali--wow! Mine are the yellow. Tastes like a really hot pineapple crossed with a pear.
Chocolate Habanero--hot, fruity and I think will make killer sauce and maybe jam, with figs for up-coming week. If I like that, will probably freeze figs and go with those for the sauce later as these are later in season to turn en masse.
7 Pot Yellow--kinda sweet, still nice and fruity but has that back of throat burn I don't like. BUT will make a nice sauce, I think with butternut squash and carrots. Not sure yet on bases for sauce--taste of this really amends as it gets later in season.
Naga Morich--it's HOT but I think sweeter, fruitier than the bhut.
Bhut Jolokia--smokier than the Naga, imo, as the season goes on--these are really late to mature and had to do some in a bag with apples last year to get to turn in time for sauce and powder.

(Maybe it was my soil or the plants, which seemed fine, but not a fan of Charleston Hot. Didn't grow it this year. Just seemed like a hot, bitter Cayenne. Wish had grown Mexibell again, as it makes a nice harissa mixed with others.)

For staples in garden now: jalapeno, Tabasco, cayenne, poblano, anaheim and of course the local ram's horn. Last year, ironically my best sauce was HOT red/mature Ram's Horn mixed with base of neck pumpkin. I called it a Fall Sauce--tasted like red neck pumpkin pie over coals. Tabasco is the only sauce I make pure, thick, very little vinegar--just enough to prevent botulism--and a LOT of lime juice, brown sugar, cumin.

Also, the powders--smoke a while with a little apple wood and will have tons of pepper powders. Last year chipotle Tab was my fav for flavor. Next was fatali. For pure heat--dried bhuts. In fact, used some of that powder for running off a groundhog this spring. It came it tasted a zuke, it left and never came back.

Honestly, I don't really grow for just heat any longer but for taste and heat. Would like to know more about Bonda Ma Jacques for next year, if anybody is growing it.

Bhut Jolokia--smokier than the Naga, imo, as the season goes on--these are really late to mature and had to do some in a bag with apples last year to get to turn in time for sauce and powder.

Question. When you say smokier than the naga, are you referring to Naga Jolokia? I ask because I was under the impression Bhut, and naga jolokia are the same thing. But theres always conflicting statements that confuse me. Are they the same?

Question. When you say smokier than the naga, are you referring to Naga Jolokia? I ask because I was under the impression Bhut, and naga jolokia are the same thing. But theres always conflicting statements that confuse me. Are they the same?
There's no such thing as a "naga jolokia". There's a "Bhut Jolokia", and a "Bih Jolokia", but the 'naga' is a "Naga Morich".

edit; they are not the same thing.
Very similar chillies, but not the same. All three have similar heat - I think the naga tested slightly slightly hotter though - not enough to make a difference. The main difference is size and shape IMHO.
From memory, Bihs are about 800K SHU and the smoothest/smallest. Bhuts about 1m SHU and the longest pointy pods, Nagas about 1.1m SHU and rounder in the sides, and a short taper down to the point. rather than a long taper/narrow body that bhuts have.

If anyone says naga jolokia then they are most likely bhut jolokia.
But most people meaning the bhuts will say bhuts or ghost or bhoot.
Naga morich is a different strain.

Naga jolokia are usually the dissapointing PC-1 type. Many people have been dissapointed thinking they are the superhot nagas :(

Back