• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Best way to start bhuts?

So I'm going to start some Bhut Jolokias soon. What are your best methods? My last batch of seeds went straight into moist soil with a 100% success rate, but they were just jalapeno and peters. I'm almost certain I need something a little more to help the process. Thoughts?

Dont fix what isnt broken.

The only difference is the Bhuts will take longer. They have been known to take up to 30 days.

Do what has worked with you and start to tweak when you arent getting results. 100% is results lol.

I had great success using Jiffy pellets and a seedling tray, with a humidity dome, a seedling heat mat, and a heat mat thermostat. Moisten pellets with a spray bottle when the start to dry out

I have mine in an old refrigerator I converted into a growbox. It had 3 2' t8 bulbs rated at 4100k, a pc fan for exhaust hooked up to a thermostat set at 83, and a couple holes inthe back for passive intake. Works great for the seeds until they're ready for the tent. Right now tue dome is on he top of the light, next to my ballast.

Moist peat works great in 80-85 degrees with a dome. People say the superhots can take up to 3 months, but I haven't had that problem. I'd probably chuck em if they took longer than a month. The bhuts grow a little slower but it really isn't that bad.

I had great success using Jiffy pellets and a seedling tray, with a humidity dome, a seedling heat mat, and a heat mat thermostat. Moisten pellets with a spray bottle when the start to dry out

Same here. I got bhut seedlings roughly in a week (some sooner others later) using Jiffy pellets. Of course that's just peat with a humidity dome :) .

I start bhuts and other superhots on wet paper towels in baggies. 1 baggie for each variety. I then put them on a heating pad. They don't have the 100% germination rate many other peppers do so it works best to do it this way rather than in cells. When started in cells you are forever waiting for certain cells to sprout and they never do. Starting seed outside of soil is called chitting, as is sprouting potatoes before planting. I chit my superhots about 2-3 weeks before regular peppers since they are so slow.

I start bhuts and other superhots on wet paper towels in baggies. 1 baggie for each variety. I then put them on a heating pad. They don't have the 100% germination rate many other peppers do so it works best to do it this way rather than in cells. When started in cells you are forever waiting for certain cells to sprout and they never do. Starting seed outside of soil is called chitting, as is sprouting potatoes before planting. I chit my superhots about 2-3 weeks before regular peppers since they are so slow.

That's the only downside. They take me much longer using paper towels in baggies though. I did both for some of them. In fact, I have a few bhuts that never germinated out of 10. I'm probably gonna toss them soon. Luckily I got enough bhuts for this season started. I even got one that has three cotyledons!

Just had 1 Bhut pop that had been in 5 weeks. Don't give up on them, they come when they want to.
Mine was the Same 1 plant, but if it does grow out to be a healthy one, i will have pods and many more seeds to retry, Again Trial and Error that is what is fun of growing things, if it was too easy everyone would be growing them

So I'm going to start some Bhut Jolokias soon. What are your best methods? My last batch of seeds went straight into moist soil with a 100% success rate, but they were just jalapeno and peters. I'm almost certain I need something a little more to help the process. Thoughts?

do the same thing you did before....if something ain't broke, don't fix it....

I did this as well. I also soaked for 24 hours in a weak Chamomile/Hydrogen Peroxide solution. Just today, I got two Buht hooks out of three seeds that I planted 13 days ago. The Buhts have been one of the slowest varieties to germinate for me.

"If it ain't broke" totally worked. Got my first hook this morning, 8 days after putting them directly into a Jiffy Dome. Beats the 4'week germ time I was expecting for sure.

Back