• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

recipe-help Best way to use rocotos?

Wandering around a local West Indian market in Queens, NY, I stumbled on some gorgeous frozen rocotos. First time ever seeing them sold in any form so I decided to buy 2 pounds worth.

I've read all about them but have had 0 experience with them. Would love some recommendations on how best to use them and what other ingredients would go well with them in a hot sauce. Should I ferment or no?

Thanks all!

1. Stuffed
2. Jam
3. Stir fry dishes, Peruvian dishes, any dish with rice and meat or veg (beef stew etc.)

Smoke dry them,coarse grind,use on everything-especially popcorn....grilled cheese and tomato soup.
Stuffed with sausage (Italian,chorizo etc.)and rice topped with cheese or ?
Stuff with crab,lobster or shrimp salad-use raw peppers.

Thanks for all the replies!

Right now I'm thinking definitely stuffing some of them for Rocoto Rellenos, also really like the sound of smoke drying a couple. But with the rest I definitely want to make a sauce. Planning on keeping the ingredients pretty simple so the rocoto flavor can shine; rocoto, onions, garlic,. I guess the biggest question now is to ferment or not to ferment for the sauce?

Thanks - I'll give him a holler.
WarrantMan said:
UnNatural,

There is a THP member here named CrazyMonkey. A hobbyist at present, but he makes the best Rocoto sauce I've ever had. He has figured it out very well. A solid dude. Give him a shout and I would imagine he could give some insight with those peppers.

Reggie

Look up the ingredients in the Tabasco Rocoto sauce. They no longer offer it. Its a blend of Tabasco, rocoto, baharat seasoning and a dash of maple syrup. VERY addictive sauce if you like a little sweet. Im using some rocoto paste to try to make a clone.
https://youtu.be/BTswv9uONag

Ah that’s a great idea! I actually have some baharat seasoning.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
Look up the ingredients in the Tabasco Rocoto sauce. They no longer offer it. Its a blend of Tabasco, rocoto, baharat seasoning and a dash of maple syrup. VERY addictive sauce if you like a little sweet. Im using some rocoto paste to try to make a clone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I loved that sauce but the price was ridiculous. It was milder than regular Tabasco too. Flavor was unlike anything i ever tasted.

Blended up my Joes Long Cayenne ferment today from Sept 15. This will be the base for mine after a few more weeks in the fridge. I already made up my own baharat and i got some really good bourbon barrel aged maple syrup.
iM39gd3.jpg

Good luck with your clone attempt! Too bad they don’t make it anymore, would have loved to try it. There’s a few commercial sauces that I really like the flavor of but wish they were hotter, so I’ve been dissolving some pure 16m capsaicin crystals in them, sounds like this would have been a great candidate for that.

With the rocotos I think I’ll do a quick 2 week ferment and play around with the baharat.

Thanks for the input!

ShowMeDaSauce said:
I loved that sauce but the price was ridiculous. It was milder than regular Tabasco too. Flavor was unlike anything i ever tasted.

Blended up my Joes Long Cayenne ferment today from Sept 15. This will be the base for mine after a few more weeks in the fridge. I already made up my own baharat and i got some really good bourbon barrel aged maple syrup.
iM39gd3.jpg

ShowMeDaSauce said:
I didn't know it wasn't being produced anymore. I saw 6-7 bottles at the Tabasco country store in jackson square (New Orleans) last week. Guess I need to go clean them out. LMAO

I bought a 6 pack of several sauces last fathers day. I got the Scorpion and Rocoto for myself. Bought pops 4 bottles of the Family Reserve which is damn good too. I didnt pay anywhere near the $15 for it. By the time i knew i liked it and went back to order me a 6 pack of just the Rocoto it was no longer offered.

Its pretty mild and not too sweet so it pairs well with lots of stuff. None of our specialty markets have frozen rocotos. I can only get the paste and canned. I got the paste just to keep it more simple.

Smoke dry,to the prune stage,halved Roma tomato and Rocoto halves.
Top tomato with spices of choice so it sucks up flavor as it dries(salt free spice from 99 cent store).
Think of your flavor profile first.Mightt want to smoke some Garlic,onion,sweet frying peppers too...
Toss in a jar,add oil of choice and let blend for a week or?
Chop up solids into something to add to ? and use oil to cook with.

Definitely go clean them out! Only place I've been able to find it online is on ebay for $30/bottle plus shipping!
peppersproutfarm said:
I didn't know it wasn't being produced anymore. I saw 6-7 bottles at the Tabasco country store in jackson square (New Orleans) last week. Guess I need to go clean them out. LMAO

Thanks, this sounds like a great method for any fleshier peppers. Will try this with some fresh fresnos I currently have in my fridge.
smokemaster said:
Smoke dry,to the prune stage,halved Roma tomato and Rocoto halves.
Top tomato with spices of choice so it sucks up flavor as it dries(salt free spice from 99 cent store).
Think of your flavor profile first.Mightt want to smoke some Garlic,onion,sweet frying peppers too...
Toss in a jar,add oil of choice and let blend for a week or?
Chop up solids into something to add to ? and use oil to cook with.

Made a sambal last night with some fermented Thai peppers, Carolina Reaper mash, maple syrup and baharat. Man, that is a winning flavor profile!
0e9abd0e77a4e3afa69665996855a026.jpg

ShowMeDaSauce said:

iM39gd3.jpg

I got 2 quarts of fermented super hot mash too. Brown Reapers, CARDI Scorpion and Death Spiral. Nothing else but salt and water. I plan on mixing some of it with mostly cayenne mash and some black garlic.

The combination of the maple syrup with barahat is very unusual in a hot sauce. Pretty damn addictive too.

Black garlic! Yes! I think that would go perfectly. You're chock full of great ingredients ideas. Lol.

I eat a solo bulb of black garlic everyday for the health benefits. I should really just take a look through my fridge and pantry and see what interesting ingredients might work in hot sauces. 
ShowMeDaSauce said:
I got 2 quarts of fermented super hot mash too. Brown Reapers, CARDI Scorpion and Death Spiral. Nothing else but salt and water. I plan on mixing some of it with mostly cayenne mash and some black garlic.

The combination of the maple syrup with barahat is very unusual in a hot sauce. Pretty damn addictive too.

Back