• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

recipe-help Best way to use rocotos?

Wandering around a local West Indian market in Queens, NY, I stumbled on some gorgeous frozen rocotos. First time ever seeing them sold in any form so I decided to buy 2 pounds worth.

I've read all about them but have had 0 experience with them. Would love some recommendations on how best to use them and what other ingredients would go well with them in a hot sauce. Should I ferment or no?

Thanks all!

Black garlic does work. 2-3 brands already use it in their sauces. This one is very tasty if you like hot. https://burnsandmccoy.com/products/exhorresco-dread-7-pot-primo-hot-sauce

This is the barahat recipe i use.
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
2 teaspoons coriander seeds
1 teaspoon whole cloves
½ teaspoon cardamom seeds
1½ tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon mild Aleppo pepper
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 bay leaf

The Belmont brand rocoto paste will be here today. Its just peppers, salt and citric acid but the sodium is about 1/4 the other brands. Only around 67mg per tbs. The others are around 250mg which isnt horrible but i make quite a bit of hot sauce for someone on strict sodium restrictions.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004T6KH5Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
c7c8f9e3-80bb-451e-b294-685ad7d0427e_1.386b9781ceb32e8f107dd939d13706e9.jpeg

47b176cb-a77c-490a-9150-eb36fcadc65e_1.f0c801f4285349797e4cf189400894bf.jpeg

ShowMeDaSauce said:
The Belmont brand rocoto paste will be here today. Its just peppers, salt and citric acid but the sodium is about 1/4 the other brands. Only around 67mg per tbs. The others are around 250mg which isnt horrible but i make quite a bit of hot sauce for someone on strict sodium restrictions.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004T6KH5Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Good stuff! Relatively reasonably priced too. I should check the market where I bought the frozen rocotos and see if they have the paste too.

Would love to hear what you think of this paste once you try it out.

It was pretty hot for rocoto. I tasted a small sample of it. I think i might have some frozen Aji Oro from this year i might try instead. They are milder and more fruity. I will still try the paste for some kind of sauce. Just not sure i wanna risk the mash i have because i only have a quart of it. A bottle of Tabasco is only $2.50

ShowMeDaSauce said:
It was pretty hot for rocoto. I tasted a small sample of it. I think i might have some frozen Aji Oro from this year i might try instead. They are milder and more fruity. I will still try the paste for some kind of sauce. Just not sure i wanna risk the mash i have because i only have a quart of it. A bottle of Tabasco is only $2.50

Thanks for the link.  I just ordered this rocoto paste.  

ShowMeDaSauce said:
Look up the ingredients in the Tabasco Rocoto sauce. They no longer offer it. Its a blend of Tabasco, rocoto, baharat seasoning and a dash of maple syrup. VERY addictive sauce if you like a little sweet. Im using some rocoto paste to try to make a clone.
Here it is!

1lb frozen rocoto plus a few fresh fresnos for the lacto, 2 cloves garlic, and half a yellow onion, vac bag ferment for 18 days. pH of 3.3.

Blended it all up, pushed through a strainer then added the maple syrup and baharat. Delish! Really liking the rocoto flavor as well as how baharat pairs with peppers in general.
a939032b26b602fb93edb45635cecb5c.jpg

12dec473f2416b9f0f8f842f7afd581d.jpg

b9a43adf926d3fdc86aff3b29568d90d.jpg

dcf53d3e3724d093541179e81791dcb3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another simple rocoto paste based hot sauce i just whipped up.

2 TBS Belmont rocoto paste (134mg sodium)
2 TBS Fresh lime juice
1 TBS Cider vinegar
1 TBS water
1 TBS Tabasco Original (105mg sodium)
1 TBS Lola's Reaper sauce (30mg sodium)
1/2 TSP sugar

So 269mg in the entire bottle. Just shy of 6oz of sauce. 7.5mg per teaspoon?

Now that one is tasty!! Just shake it up good in a large enough bottle.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
Another simple rocoto paste based hot sauce i just whipped up.

2 TBS Belmont rocoto paste (134mg sodium)
2 TBS Fresh lime juice
1 TBS Cider vinegar
1 TBS water
1 TBS Tabasco Original (105mg sodium)
1 TBS Lola's Reaper sauce (30mg sodium)
1/2 TSP sugar

So 269mg in the entire bottle. Just shy of 6oz of sauce. 7.5mg per teaspoon?

Now that one is tasty!! Just shake it up good in a large enough bottle.
Awesome. Thanks for sharing! I have a jar of the Peru Foods rocoto paste. I’ll give it a shot with that.

Back