• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Bhut Jolokia Curry in Melbourne, Aus

Hi All

I don't comment much on here but I'm always reading everyones comments and using their ideas to help with my chilli growing. :)
I just thought id share what I had found here in Melbourne Australia. I love a hot vindaloo and am always on the look out for a great indian take away with a vindaloo that is actually as hot as I like it and with my 1st wedding anniversary coming up I thought a romantic dinner for two would be a good start, I also know my wife loves a butter chicken and would be happy to go to an Indian restaurant. I wanted to find somewhere different to our local indian take away and have always wanted to try the Taj Indian reataurant in west melbourne, the smells are absolutely incredible every time I drive past it.

I was absolutely chuft to see on their menu "Bhoot Jolokia Curry" spelt wrong I know but now im more exited about this dinner. Im drooling just thinking about it.:lol:

Has any one here had the chance to try bhut jolokia curry anywhere??

I haven't tried it, but I'd like to! I wish I could find somewhere in Sydney that sold it - everywhere you go and ask for curry extra hot they make it mild, drives you nuts!

Found it... Le Taj. Do you think they'd home deliver to this side of town????? :) I might have to go for a drive one weekend.

SeeYouJimmy said:
Taj you say? Might have to look that up. Thanks.

I will let you know how good it actually is, Im going this sunday and can't wait. by the way I loved the amount of chilli you are getting at the moment Jimmy, hope thats me next year, I bought a bunch of seeds from THSC and cant wait till spring. while im at it, neil @ THSC is great, i had the seeds within a few days. Great service

Well that's where all my seeds came from too (except Cayenne...Scorpion sent me with an order) so I can vouch for the plants that you'll end up with. Please tell me you got some Yellow7 seeds.....

SeeYouJimmy said:
Well that's where all my seeds came from too (except Cayenne...Scorpion sent me with an order) so I can vouch for the plants that you'll end up with. Please tell me you got some Yellow7 seeds.....

i got yellow 7 pod?? is that the same (newbie question)

mel said:
I haven't tried it, but I'd like to! I wish I could find somewhere in Sydney that sold it - everywhere you go and ask for curry extra hot they make it mild, drives you nuts!

I know exactly how you feel, is there anywhere in sydney that does a Phal curry. supposed to be hotter than vindaloo!

Nice selection there mate, you'll read all the Northeners grow threads and by the time you start your plants you'll be an expert.... Good luck with them.

MyWifeHatesMyObsession said:
I know exactly how you feel, is there anywhere in sydney that does a Phal curry. supposed to be hotter than vindaloo!

I'm pitching in but am not from Australia. I've had the Bangalore Phal before and it is definitely hotter than the vindaloo. The waiters would go "Are you sure you can handle it?" and they'd come along with water more often than usual, funny. The usually don't have it on the menu here in Montreal but everytime I've asked, they said that they can cook it for me if I asked for it... Maybe you should just ask for it.

Hi guys I just got back from my dinner @ Le Taj indian restaurant and have to say what a great place and the Bhut Jolokia Curry was incredible, it was very hot (i couldn't finish it) and what's even better is that the chef used fresh Bhuts not dried, It even had sliced bhut chilli on top as garnishing.
I had a chat with Pat who runs the restaurant and he seems really proud of his bhut curry. he even gave me half a fresh bhut that was left over to take home :)

Hahaha, I'm glad someone found the restaurant.

I'm actually supplying the Bhut's to Pat @ Le Taj. I can safely say it's one of the hottest curries I have ever tried in my entire life, but the flavour is incredible. Seldom do you find chefs that know how to make food taste great with that much heat, but the pastes they use in combination with the Bhut's I've been supplying, it's easily my favourite curry from any Indian restaurant I've ever sampled.

I had a feeling he might have been getting them from you, I remember you'd said you were selling to an Indian restaurant and it's out your end of town. Well, 2 good reviews must mean something.

I've got some plants with absolutely huge pods this season, longer than my middle finger in some instances.

Got another 250 grams of pods to take down to Pat in the next few days to make some more Bhut paste ;)

Back