• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Bhut Jolokia problem??

Ok I have 13 Bhut Jolokia plants growing in my garden. I was looking at them today and picked couple of little green not yet ripe peppers to test. I popped them in my mouth and...

...boy was I surprised!!!

They were sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very Confused!!!

Are the young not ripe Jolokia's supposed to be sweet?? I am now waiting for the larger ones to ripen and test again!

Haven't tried small Bhuts but i'd imagined you'd have some heat. I knocked off a little 1.5" green jalapeno the other day by accident so i ate it expecting it to be mild and green tasting. It was green tasting but it was already hotter than most super market jals.

Sounds like they are still too imature to have produced any heat. Have patience and let them get at least close to ripe

they were a lil more than an inch long......I will wait till they get bigger and turn red......I just thought being they are immature the heat would be more concentrated

Hmmm, I've picked a few 1 inch Caribbean Reds to keep me satisfied until the bigger ones ripen and they had pretty decent heat already (probably close to habanero heat). So I would expect at least a little heat, but maybe Bhut's grow different.

Back