• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

chinense Bhut Jolokia(s) - different peppers, same name

One way to categorize the red bhuts I've grown is by pre-ripe coloration. Some (most) are a dark green and some are a very pale color (like a ghost).

Another kind I'm growing seems to be both green and have the lighter coloration. Have you seen this in your Bhuts? Do you know of any named varieties that grow dark green, pale green and mixed like this?

IMG_20121031_162001.jpg

IMG_20121031_162023.jpg

Good looking pod Spice! Nice job on it.

Thanks sbaf.

Beyond personal use, these bhuts may not be classified to this degree. I have a few really pale varieties I'll be growing from seed again. There really are some substantial differences between a number of varieties all called bhut jolokia. More and more naga morichs I've seen around here also seem increasingly diverse.

I suppose without a central authority to designate something as "true" these will all just be quite differentiated.

Is anyone out there growing any "original" versions of these? (and I don't mean CPI).

SG, I have that on a couple of my Bhuts too. I havent ever seen it before and thought it may have been an issue with my plants but now that you have it too. Interesting...

SG, I have that on a couple of my Bhuts too. I havent ever seen it before and thought it may have been an issue with my plants but now that you have it too. Interesting...

Are the seeds new to you or are they from your own saved seed?

I've also noticed a difference in taste between the a) dark green, b) light green c) dark & light (in the pic).

Ive had the typical dark colors, the less normal lighter ones and the super pale green ones all from the same seed stock, then this popped up. Weird.

I'm overwintering a few and will grow the different types from seed... so if they grow consistent I'll get more serious about figuring it out...

I had light and dark green colored pods on my Indian Carbon. Early season they were dark and when it warmed up they were paler. Late season they were darker green as well. Not exactly sure why but now that you bring this up my gears are spinning. Seasonal? Nutrient? It wasn't limited to that variety either.

I had light and dark green colored pods on my Indian Carbon. Early season they were dark and when it warmed up they were paler. Late season they were darker green as well. Not exactly sure why but now that you bring this up my gears are spinning. Seasonal? Nutrient? It wasn't limited to that variety either.

Okay, so it sounds like there are two different things happening here. 1) environmental (like what you're discussing) and 2) the pods consistently stay light, dark or mixed as some of my plants are...

Back