• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Bhut Jolokia??

Condolences :(

As to Richard's assessment of it being a Caribbean Red, I'll back that and say that the foliage is very reminiscent of my Orange Habs except it's a lot more spread out (a lot like the picture Ballzworth posted of his a few days back), and also the fruit; mine's a bit more pendant on the orange hab (basically in the same stage as yours).

This post confused me:
Is or isn't?
Sorry to hear about your dad. You friends plant as you know is not a bhut but I believe it is not a caribbean red either. Your plant I believe is a caribbean red hab. Not a disappointment at all, it's a very nice pepper with pretty crazy heat. Not like a super hot but still..............
Really sorry about your dad too.
A Bhut is all bumpy and stuff.

This post confused me:
Is or isn't?
Really sorry about your dad too.
A Bhut is all bumpy and stuff.
Sorry I read the 1st post wrong. I thought his friends plant was different than his. I thought his friends looked close to caribbean red habs but not exactly but I see both are the same and are caribbean red habs.

Thanks to all for the condolences about dad....much appreciated. I wont change the subject of this thread, but just in case anyone is curious about his death, a person ran a stop sign and he hit them in the side going about 50 mph and while pulling a 26 ft camper, the vehicles flipped, totaling all vehicles involved. Dad was on the unfortunate side of the vehicle and was killed instantly. My son was also in the vehicle, and by the grace of god, survived the accident with only a broke rib and bruised cheek.

Now, in order to keep the thread on track....I have been looking at young Caribbean Red pod photos, and it is amazing at how much it does indeed look like Caribbean Red pods. So, that is pretty cool, as I am planning to grow them next year...maybe the seeds were packaged wrong, I would like to think that my friend reieved the wrong seeds by accident and not intentionally. BTW, he said the seeds came from somewhere in San Diego Ca. but didnt give me a name of the place.

RichardK, you commented about the pods hanging down, well mine actually are shooting off to the side right now....my friends look to be hanging down, but the ones in his picture are considerably older...so, these do have that trait in common with yours as well.

AJ, it definitely doesn't resemble your Bhut, or any others that have been shown. In fact, my Fatalii looks much more like a Bhut my pods shown above do...lol.

CharlesNYC, I also have an orange, red and yellow hab and these pods different considerably on my plants, though there is a resemblance in the general shape of very young pods...I know you are not suggesting these are regular habs, but just to compare some differences in my own plants....my habs by the age of these pods are all showing wrinkles, are real dark green, and hang straight down for the most part...these are fairly light green, more smooth, and so far they all start off not hanging, but shooting off to the side.....Caribbean Red will make me happier than a regular hab for sure...heheh.

Thanks again to all. I will post more pictures here as the pods progress, more for record to show what they turn out to be than anything.

Shane

After walking out to the garden and looking at my Caribbean Red, I can now agree with others and say that is definitely what you have.

Update:

Here is a picture of one of my more mature pods...as they grow, they look more and more like the suggested Caribbean Red. RichardK, the pic you posted of your CR's is spot on for these, could be the same plant if I did not know better. You cant tell it quite as much with my pic below, but a lot of the 15 or so pods on it look very much like yours. See image.

red.jpg

Shane

Wow Sadams,
That picture of that nice shiny pepper is so clear.
Cool!
You friends plant as you know is not a bhut but I believe it is not a caribbean red either. Your plant I believe is a caribbean red hab. Not a disappointment at all, it's a very nice pepper with pretty crazy heat. Not like a super hot but still..............
It made more sense when I read this again. Sorry for the mixup.
Actually, and most people would back this up, I was the one confused at the time. I should probably have kept that comment to myself that time.
My bad. :(

Back