• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

health Bhut yellowing, and brown spots. Cure please?

i'm using Nitrophoska blue, NPK 12:5:14 a few pellets and dissolving some in water and feeding that once or twice a week. the pot is about 10 litres i think.

Not sure, but that seems like a lot of nitrogen at this stage. Then again, I'm not sure how much of a dosage a few pellets is- unfamiliar w/ the fert. Ever do the epsom salt thing on her yet?

nah i haven't, have been looking at it, but wasn't sure if it was going yellow from deficiency or some sort of disease? all the new growth is a nice deep green, but as it gets bigger the color gets blotchy and fades, then the brown spots arrive... i have no idea what's going on

A pepper plant with a Magnesium deficiency can have great looking new growth, as a result from the plant eating itself from the bottom up... My seedlings got epsom salt a long time ago and they were way smaller than that plant, I'd go ahead and give them some. Even if there is no deficiency, magnesium makes for some nice healthy seedlings :)

Me, the same I'd always do. Like a Tablespoon to a gallon (1 US gallon = 3.78541178 liters)

I originally was also wondering if it was time for a new pot.

Thanks guys, will give it some epsom salts asap, and will look at potting up too. have a 50 litre pot here, is that over kill?

Grimus said:
Thanks guys, will give it some epsom salts asap, and will look at potting up too. have a 50 litre pot here, is that over kill?

That plant looks pretty good to me. Sounds like it's getting more than enough nutes, especially 2x a week. Leave it alone for a while, make sure you aren't giving it too much water. Just water it when the pot gets "light". There is no such thing as a pot too big if you can afford the soil.

I just may be too much of a good thing (fertilizer) for the brown spots and the yellow could be a similar reaction.
Here is one of my suryanki cluster, about two months ago I mixed up some tomato vegetable fertilizer, Plant Prod brand 15-15-30, granular form, thinking I would give the kids a dose for overwintering.
The suryanki is the only one to react this way, all plants are in 1 gallon containers, all are bedded with the same brand of cheap potting soil. Some plants display just tip burning.

I do use epsom salt spray regularly but once this type of damage occurs there is no bring back the leaves effected, I am thinking of just pinching the ugly leaves and see if that incorporates new growth elsewhere.

HPIM1747.jpg

HPIM1744.jpg

Hey Grimus, I agree with everyone else in regards to too many nutes. I used Nitrophoska blue this year also and found it really difficult to figure out an adequate dosage to give my plants as the instructions on the packet were in grams per square foot. I ended up over feeding my plants resulting in pod/flower drop which set me back. I then switched to a basic tomato fert at half dilution with a bit of potash thrown in and everything is sweet now. I also thoroughly recommend using a bit of epsom salts! 50L pot definitely isn't overkill, although I wonder if there is any use potting up this late in our season, as we probably only have less than a month of summer left. In fact, this week down here in Palmy North I have already noticed things starting to cool down dramatically!

Burning Colon said:
I just may be too much of a good thing (fertilizer) for the brown spots and the yellow could be a similar reaction.
Here is one of my suryanki cluster, about two months ago I mixed up some tomato vegetable fertilizer, Plant Prod brand 15-15-30, granular form, thinking I would give the kids a dose for overwintering.
The suryanki is the only one to react this way, all plants are in 1 gallon containers, all are bedded with the same brand of cheap potting soil. Some plants display just tip burning.

I do use epsom salt spray regularly but once this type of damage occurs there is no bring back the leaves effected, I am thinking of just pinching the ugly leaves and see if that incorporates new growth elsewhere.

HPIM1747.jpg

HPIM1744.jpg

Great photo's mate, thank you. they look very similar to what my plant looks like, but not as severe. and i have had trouble with fruit setting. I have pulled off all the ugly leaves, and given a descent flush out, hopefully this will stop any further damage from the nutes. it looks kinda naked now, but hopefully it will help. there's a pod on it, with a little luck it will ripen nicely and i'll have something of substance from my first season.

Thanks tomtomnz, i agree, we are running out. at the mo, its still very warm here in auckland, hopefully it will drag out till mid April... fingers crossed!!

Back