• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Bhuter's 2018 Glog

Hello everybody! I'm late again to the adventures of pepper growing. Seeds didn't hit the towel until March 6, so I have some still below, some hooks, and some little plants. Not too much to look at right now but how about a growlist.

2018 Growlist

Red BBG7 (Ocho Cinco 2014)
BOC (Mine)
Black Naga x Peri-Peri F2 (Mine)
Bishop's Crown
Brown Moruga (PL)
Peach Bhut (WM)
SB7J (Pex Peppers 2014)
Pumpkin Bubblegum (Ford's)
Peach Scotch Bonnet (WHP)
OrangeGum TigerMAMP (GIP)
California Reaper (Tyler Farms)
Ramirez Stinger (mpicante)
BBG Peach Ghost Jami (Mojo)
Monster Apocalisse (Mojo)
Purple Ghost Scorpion (Mojo)
Chocolate Primo (Butch T)
PDN x 7 Pot Caramel F1 (Mine)
PDN x Bonda ma Jacques F6 White & Purple (PaulG)
Purple Flower Baccatum (Mojo)
Wartryx (windchicken)
Purple Flower BBG (Mojo)
PeachGum v3 (Mojo)
Biker Billy Jalapeño (Tyler Farms)
Cappuccino Scotch Bonnet (MikeUSMC)
Peach Clavo x Pink Tiger (Ford's)
Caramel BBG7 (WHP)
7 Pot Cinder Caramel F3 (also have F2 clone overwinter)

Lots of crosses, purples, & BBG. I also air layered a clone from the Caramel Cinder F2 last year (with the help of pepper-guru...thanks, Rich) and it's been in stasis until recently. Just starting new growth and already set a pod.

8U4MXPe.jpg

And here's the whole lot. I don't have much room...just what I can fit under a card table.

Cy0FhOj.jpg

Thanks for stopping by!

PtMD989 said:
How can one tell the difference between male and female flowers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In squash and melon: The female flowers are at the end of a fruit. So you'll go from the stalk of the plant and follow to a really small or big fruit with a flower attached. The males are just a stem with a flower at the end of it.

I went out and took some rainy pics.

A crinkly Cappuccino Scotch Bonnet from MikeUSMC.
zRzRcCM.jpg

Peach Scotch Bonnet from WHP.
sJjCsdu.jpg

Peach Bhut WM from WHP.
oaJaxHw.jpg

Purple Flower BBG from Mojo.
9KkWwOd.jpg

PDN x 7 Pot Caramel F1. A cross I made last year. I like how this one is turning out so far.
4aRWoep.jpg

Haskorea from the local nursery.
zrBhKd4.jpg

Walchit said:
Plants are looking good! 

Pretty sure my cucumbers are all male flowers... Idk I want to make pickles real bad
Thank you, Andy! Your cukes are just like my melon...lots of males and females are few and far between. I think I've only pollinated about 5, with 2 set. Pickles sound pretty good right now.

Is it normal for your Cappuccino SB to have crinkly leaves?
Every thing is looking great. I saw on the weather channel app that the experts are predicting a warmer than usual July for the Great Lakes region. [emoji16][emoji106]

PtMD989 said:
Is it normal for your Cappuccino SB to have crinkly leaves?
Every thing is looking great. I saw on the weather channel app that the experts are predicting a warmer than usual July for the Great Lakes region. [emoji16][emoji106]

For some reason, every Scotch Bonnet and Habanero I've grown has had crinkly leaves. I just chock it up to a trait of theirs...since they still produce excellently. I saw the same thing on the weather. Warmer July, cooler aug, and warmer Sept.

This weather is crazy. I had to turn on my heat in the house yesterday! I'm used to working outdoors at 95F now, in 105+ heat index. Came home last night and it was 68F indoors. After an hour of shivering under a blanket I cranked the furnace to 75!!!

Bhuter said:
Thank you very much, Scott! I couldn't imagine living in your temps. Have you started your second mater crop seeds yet?

I'll start them a bit late this year; we're driving to Myrtle Beach for a parental visit in 4 weeks. I may just plant them out the day before we leave in larger pots, and hope they germ and fair well while we're on the road. I have a table on the porch that gets morning sun. I need Paul's folks around here...LOL

So yeah, it's hot here; for 90 days it's horrible. But then we have 9 months of great weather, save a few cold as hell days, which is OK. I worked outside this morning from 7AM until 11AM, that's about all I want to do nowadays. I'm a few months shy of 60 and no more sun for me after it gets hot :shh:

alkhall said:

I say that every year.

However, this year, it seems I am getting pods much sooner than expected.
Not me. I got three so far from my little overwintered clone, but it looks like mid-August for me to have ripe pods. But I guess I don't really need them right now. My tolerance is too low for most of what's out there. Lol

TrentL said:
This weather is crazy. I had to turn on my heat in the house yesterday! I'm used to working outdoors at 95F now, in 105+ heat index. Came home last night and it was 68F indoors. After an hour of shivering under a blanket I cranked the furnace to 75!!!

68° is perfect for our room indoors. We have a digital thermometer and we're dying if it gets in the 70's. Lol. But yes, when your body is used to working in a sauna, 68° is freezing. ❄️. Did you ever find that ring?

Devv said:

I'll start them a bit late this year; we're driving to Myrtle Beach for a parental visit in 4 weeks. I may just plant them out the day before we leave in larger pots, and hope they germ and fair well while we're on the road. I have a table on the porch that gets morning sun. I need Paul's folks around here...LOL

So yeah, it's hot here; for 90 days it's horrible. But then we have 9 months of great weather, save a few cold as hell days, which is OK. I worked outside this morning from 7AM until 11AM, that's about all I want to do nowadays. I'm a few months shy of 60 and no more sun for me after it gets hot :shh:
I'm with you there, Scott. Not heat tolerant at all. Yeah, Paul's plants look amazing for his being gone forever. Too bad your Chinense's didn't produce this year. I was hoping to see what the Cinder might look like this generation before mine. I'll bet your fall tomato harvest will be bigger than the first. You'll be canning all winter. Lol

Back