• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Bhuts & Nagas and Germination...

On June 7th I planted 4 Bhut Jolokias and 4 Dorset Nagas. Nineteen days later 1 Naga sprouted. On the 23rd day one more sprouted. On the 28th day 1 Bhut Jolokia sprouted and on day 29 the 2nd Bhut sprouted. Then on day 34 2 more Nagas sprouted.
That was it until today; 42 days after planting, 1 more Bhut and 1 more Naga sprouted. I had given up and just by chance I checked my mini green-house (Tupperware container) and to my total surprise there they were.

The moral is to not give up and keep the planting medium viable. Bhuts are notoriously slow to germinate, bhut this is ridiculous. ;) Happy growing.

i've only got 1.

the tip that i could take from this thread is "to keep the planting medium viable"
i usually just leave it only even though there's moss and fungus growing. ill change tissue every 2 weeks then.

Yeah they are a pain in the Bhut! My first Bhut sprouted in 9 days, the next was a month later. I don't know if any of the others I have seeded out will, but if these things make it and I can use them, I will root some cuttings to save time and go from there.

Yeah they are a pain in the Bhut! My first Bhut sprouted in 9 days, the next was a month later. I don't know if any of the others I have seeded out will, but if these things make it and I can use them, I will root some cuttings to save time and go from there.

Thats a great idea. I cloned a couple of orange Habs because I topped the original plants (so they'd bush out). I rooted the tops in coir pucks; I kept them in a mini-green house for 10 days. They're almost a month old now and doing fine. Cheers.

AjarnV Congrats! That's super.....

This will be a little off topic ..... I'm sure you're going to use these in Thai dishes. Please share a few recipes when you do. It will interesting to see how you blend the fruity flavor of some of the chinense peppers into Thai dishes. And thanks for your answer on Kra Pao.

Peace and happy growing,
P. Dreadie

AjarnV Congrats! That's super.....

This will be a little off topic ..... I'm sure you're going to use these in Thai dishes. Please share a few recipes when you do. It will interesting to see how you blend the fruity flavor of some of the chinense peppers into Thai dishes. And thanks for your answer on Kra Pao.

Peace and happy growing,
P. Dreadie

Thanks.
Super, I was wondering if you got it. I've not done the e-mail thing here before; glad it works. Don't hesitate if any more questions.

You betcha; pad kra pao chicken look out. Recipes will be forthcoming upon harvest.

mine's also taking too long to germinate. out of the 10 seeds that i sowed 2 weeks ago only 1 had shown signs of germination the others still no signs. :)

Oh ..... I have all those basil's you named in my garden !! I thought Kra Pao was some other herb from the way my friend acted.

Peace & looking forward to any recipes you share with us.
P. Dreadie

you will find that temperature fluctuations during germination will slow the germination times down...if it is possible to keep your germination temperature CONSTANT at 86F/30C, you will get the quickest sprouts...that being said, lots of other factors come into play too...such as quality of seed stock, humidity levels, how wet you keep your sprouting media, etc....

amen to you SS...mine get 3 weeks max to germinate or else they get tossed....

2 weeks is tops for me, but most germinate within 10 days
There is a tecnique popular on other chile forums for taking stubborn seeds that won't germinate quickly and letting them completely dry out again for a week or so before re-attempting germination. I'm not sure why but it has worked for several advanced growers

Day 44; 1 more Bhut Jolokia and 2 1 more Chocolate Habanero. Astounding!
What I did do a week and a half ago was to put the wet coir pucks in the sun under shade cloth. It was a last resort kind of thing. :) :woohoo:

Back