• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense *#@%$& Bhuts!!

I picked a couple last night that had some damage, a softer darker spot here and there. Decided to trim them up and save what I could. Only three of them, small too. Didn't wear gloves, took less than three minutes and I immediately washed my hands three times. I even used butter as soap on the second wash.

Couple of hours later did a small search and recovery in the nasal passages and less than a minute later the fire was lit. Still going strong half hour later as I lay in bed.

Got up this a.m. and did my thing and washed the hands again. I just opened a bottle of Blue Agave to sweeten a cup of tea and got some on a couple of fingers, very sticky. Didn't think anything of sticking the fingers in the mouth and licking the sticky off. Oh crap was that a mistake. Realized it about five seconds into it.

So here I sit a couple of minutes after, still burning and wondering if I'll ever learn. Damn things.

LOL I cut some Bhuts up last summer and froze them...didn't use any gloves either...but it didn't bother me. I was very careful not to touch a cut end of the pepper..guess I was lucky.

eeeesh! boy boy, be happy you didn't itch your eye...

I have some 7 pots for next summer, thanks for passing along your lesson.

I prefer to process peppers without gloves, this way I'm more careful and it seems I always get it worse with gloves on. Washing with soap and water won't get the heat off your hands, I use soap with grit and a good towel to coursely wipe my hands with, and then always do the finger on the tongue test:)

The problem with just washing your hands is that the capsaisin gets under the fingernails and won't wash away. Your hands will be clean but try scratching your eyes or down below and watch out. I try to clean under the nails when I wash my hands. My fingers tips always get completely numb under the skin after I chop hot peppers. Numbness can last several days and sometimes worries me.

Good thing Mrs Patrick didnt come lookin for love -- my wife still looks at me like she wants to kick me in the nuts from 2wks ago -- a night I indulged in some nice hot wings and a few IPA's-- Like you I washed my hands and my face well or so I thought.. :shocked:

LMAO!!! those thing (bhuts) are great arent they!!!!! we gonna make a video this weekend of my buddy's friend eating one...he said BS they arent that hot so wee gonn tape him
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:onfire:

lmaonw0.gif

I just know I'm going to be in your position soon, Pat...! Hands off them gonads, mate!

Dyce51 said:
LMAO!!! those thing (bhuts) are great arent they!!!!! we gonna make a video this weekend of my buddy's friend eating one...he said BS they arent that hot so wee gonn tape him
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:onfire:

You've GOT to post a link.

Paul, this is a lesson you don't want to learn. But you are right, you probably will.

Back