smokers Big Green Egg

tctenten said:
I  need to get a different thermometer…I am going to guess that the temps where in the 900f-1000f+ range.  The stone was 650f and it took just over 3 minutes.  Round 2 will be tomorrow.  the dough was only fermented for a day and was still cold.  Tomorrow I will have Danielle take it out earlier and let it warm up a bit.
Sounds like you're serious. Looking forward to the series ...

IMG_8064.JPG

IMG_8065.JPG

Set it and forget it.

grantmichaels said:

Do they poo-poo these in egg-ville? ...

I use them in the Akorn - lid up only, until it's burnt out - but the Akorn isn't porous either ...

I couldn't keep the temp low enough initially when I used the minion to start the Akorn ...

I use them. Cannot speak for anyone else.

I use them in lieu of bothering with the chimney though ..

I just put one of those in the center of the fuel, buried one layer down, but unobstructed directly about it ...

If I'm not smoking, I start the fuel with a pair or three of them ... for baking temps ...

Seems to work pretty good, I've never had to add an additional one and start over or anything ...

For me, starting coals in the chimney and then starting the fuel using those, led to an initial spike in temp, and that's the last time I want that to happen ...

I'd rather it warm and stall and require a restart than hit the raw meat with 275-300F and zip it up before it has a chance to take on any appreciable smoke ...

How many coals do you start in the chimney? ... like 6 or something? ...

I have a suspicion this is where the weight of the egg's heft comes in handy ...

I bet it can totally absorb all of the minion energy, since it's such a poor conductor of heat ...

In the Akorn, since it's metal, you have to be super careful about not getting out ahead of things, or you'll really struggle to get it down ...

I could see where the egg makes things a little simpler in buffering the temp, perhaps ...

Can you post some iGrill2 graphs one of these days showing the drop and recovery of the temp with lid up's for checking, flipping, rearranging etc? ...

I'd be curious to see that ...

Back