smokers Big Green Egg

JoynersHotPeppers said:
The Weber will last you long on the gas side, my good friend has gone through 2 very expensive gas grills in the same amount of time I have had the Weber. I mean he spent 1200+ on each of them and they rusted out, bad IR and all kinds of crap, he is getting a Weber soon hahahah

Truth be told, most Webers are almost that much but worth it as far as I can tell.

JayT said:
Yeah, deep down I know that is probably what I am going to do too.

My brother convinced me to get one. His Genesis is the age of my last two grills added together and it still looks great.

Nulle said:
A Danish saying is that every sow loves its own piglets :P

We have a Primo Kamado XL and we love that.
I almost pulled the trigger on that one but went with the Akorn Kamado Grill instead.

Komodo Kamado's can be had for $6,900. At that price, might as well get two! These are supposed to be the ultimate kamado-style grill and smoker.

32-big-bad-very-dark-blueblack-pebble-a58-1423770023.jpg

I've been using the BGE for some time now. Great results on grilling and smoking....Burgers, Chops...Black and Blue Steaks.....even pizza's. 
Although, I have to agree with my friends that have the 55 gal or torpedo smokers........the BGE will not support an army at the picnic tables. Cooking area is small, but if you're making a quality item(s) for a few folks, then it's well worth it because it rocks out the results. 

Here's one of the pizza's I made yesterday.......around 850 F. 
After the pies I added some more lump wood with some soaked cherry logs then shut down the vents to obtain a temp of 225 F.

This photo was shot 1/2 hr ago.....2 pork butts put in a 7 pm last night. The temp of the smoker is still at 225 F....internal temp of roasts is at 180 F. I'll be wrapping the roasts in foil shortly until in internal temps reach 200 F.

Oddly enough when I first opened the kettle lid this morning the combo of lump and cherry wood started to flame up again !
Down boy I need to take a picture........ :fire: ............... :lol:
One last mention....clean-up is very easy and shutting the vents down right after cooking will save the lump for the next bbq. It take quite awhile to go through a bag of fuel.

(maybe I'll shoot a sandwich shot later....after I make the coleslaw...)

JayT said:
That post sums up why I want the BGE in a nutshell.

The pizza was THE reason I was torn between the weber & BGE.  I bought a Weber yesterday, should be here on friday.  I decided that I would miss the convenience of gas for everyday use.   

I like both charcoal and gas grills for different reasons.  I love the taste of charcoal smoked and grilled meats best, but I am not going through all the hassle of lighting coals, soaking wood chunks, and waiting all that time for the temps to be right just to grill myself a steak or some brats.  I like being able to crank the heat on the gas grill up all the way and have a steak resting on my cutting board five minutes later.  I said I am going to buy a BGE, but I am ALSO going to buy a new gas grill.  Kind of like major upgrades from the Brinkman barrel smoker and little Webber gas grill I have now.

Do me a favor and don't buy the gas until you buy the BGE.

I've alluded to it, and PIC1 alluded to it, too.

You can operate a kamado-type like a gas grill, starting and stopping it for a cook - without having to fuck w/ the fuel for every cook etc ...

I walk outside and open the lid and vent ... hit the lump w/ propane torch for like 60 seconds, maybe blow on it a little (with glasses, lump pops and shoots out shrapnel), hit it once more w/ some torch for good measure and walk inside for 5-10 mins while it gets a footing ... then I put the vents where I want my final temp and walk inside for 30 mins to an hour and let it do it's magic ... I don't open the lid during this time, I just make sure the temp is creeping up on the dome thermometer ...

Then I cook, and when I'm done I hit the top of the CI grates w/ a little balled up foil ...

Then I close the vents and go inside and forget about it until the next time ...

A basket of lump lasts quite a number of rounds of traditional burger/chicken/sausage grilling sessions ...

It's about as convenient as a gas grill, really, and you don't have the issue of running out of gas ...

BGE it up.

PIC 1 said:
I've been using the BGE for some time now. Great results on grilling and smoking....Burgers, Chops...Black and Blue Steaks.....even pizza's. 
Although, I have to agree with my friends that have the 55 gal or torpedo smokers........the BGE will not support an army at the picnic tables. Cooking area is small, but if you're making a quality item(s) for a few folks, then it's well worth it because it rocks out the results. 

Here's one of the pizza's I made yesterday.......around 850 F. 
After the pies I added some more lump wood with some soaked cherry logs then shut down the vents to obtain a temp of 225 F.

This photo was shot 1/2 hr ago.....2 pork butts put in a 7 pm last night. The temp of the smoker is still at 225 F....internal temp of roasts is at 180 F. I'll be wrapping the roasts in foil shortly until in internal temps reach 200 F.

Oddly enough when I first opened the kettle lid this morning the combo of lump and cherry wood started to flame up again !
Down boy I need to take a picture........ :fire: ............... :lol:
One last mention....clean-up is very easy and shutting the vents down right after cooking will save the lump for the next bbq. It take quite awhile to go through a bag of fuel.

(maybe I'll shoot a sandwich shot later....after I make the coleslaw...)

Enough said. Where is my bge?   

Back