• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Big problems with my Bonda and Aji Habs - help needed

These 3 plants were transplanted a week ago. They were having problems pre-transplant, but I figure up-potting them and moving them into the sun might help. Instead, they seem to be worse. The bonda (first two pix) has SEVERE yellowing on the leaves except the veins, which are nice and green. I have never really seen that pattern before.

The 3rd pic is of 2 Aji Habaneros. They have been problems since they were sown. Note that the leaves are yellow bordering on white. These might be dead or something.

If anyone has ANY ideas how I can get the Bonda or the Aji Habs back on track, or what's wrong with them, please let me know. So far, I've tried: up-potting, cutting back on the watering, fish fert, epsom salt, and finally 2 days ago decided maybe the Aji Habs are lacking a substantial amount of some unidentified nutrient so I gave them a full blast of Miracle Grow Tomato Food (15-15-15). None of this has made any difference.

OK - 2 pics of the Bonda. Notice the INCREDIBLE yellow versus the green veins:

008-8.jpg

009-4.jpg

Now for something even worse - here's my Aji Habs. They're in one pot because I didn't want to waste a pot until I figured out if either of these would live. It's a little hard to see in the pic, but the leaves are basically white, not yellow, except for the green veins.

Any ideas? Some strange virus? Should I get these plants away from my others?

TIA

011-6.jpg

im still a newbie, but you might want to try epson salt or some calcium. and when you put them outside, you should do it at a moderate rate throughout an entire week. dont just put them outside and let them get hit by 12 hour sun. they need to harden properly. and they look pretty fine by me. i have no experience in those peppers, but the color might be natural.

What are you feeding them?? I had a couple that I got locally that looked similar. I just fed them a little fish emulsion and it seemed to work after a week or so. Did this happen abruptly?

You Bonda Ma Jaques looks like it has a nutrient deficiency. I would try giving that guy some epsom salt spraying. The two Aji Habaneros look like they have a couple things going on. For one, they look like they got burned by the sun pretty badly or maybe fert burn. Have you been feeding them a lot lately?

What are you feeding them?? I had a couple that I got locally that looked similar. I just fed them a little fish emulsion and it seemed to work after a week or so. Did this happen abruptly?

No, not abruptly, I've been struggling with these three since they were seedlings. When they were in 4" pots as seedlings, I gave them 1/2 strength fish emulsion and a smidge of bone meal. Plus I misted them with epsom salt once or twice. When I up-potted them and put them outside, they got TomatoTone mixed into the Promix, which contains everything they should need (and usually works great to make 'em perky). Seeing no sign of improvement, I've moved into "experimentation" mode. The Bonda got a BIG dose of Epsom, and the Aji Habs got a full strength dose of Miracle Grow (seeing as they appear to be hopeless I figure why not do something radical). So basically, they've gotten a taste of all the various nutrients they should want. That is why I'm wondering if it's some kind of disease, as opposed to a nutrition issue.

Note: this is not a hardening off problem - these plants were suffering this condition before they were put outside, and they're only getting 3-4 hrs of sunlight/day. This is something internal to the plants.

idk, that looks like classic iron deficiency to me.

did they yellow from the bottom up? or top down?
iron is immoble so it will start from the top.
iron from what i know will result in a totally white leaf(sans the veins) that will not recover.it starts out as general intervenial chlorosis like you show tho. iron among others is easily effected by PH issues as well.

nitrogen starts from the bottom, as it is mobile. it sounds like the plant has had alot of nitrogen however so i kinda doubt thats it. nitrogen is also a more uniform chlorosis, not interveinal like that. if you find that it IS nitrogen i would feed it a source of nitrates and not ammonium you will see a much quicker response to nitrates as they are immediately available.

idk i always found it easier to look at what im giving the plants, THEN look at what could be too low. its very possible that the miracle grow has no micronutrients at all.

Way to much fertilizer!! Get them into some new soil and give them nothing but water. Ferts high in nitrogen if given too much will make the plants look just like yours. Just trying to help.

Charles

i think the ones at the top with the yellow veining is magnesium deficiency can be fixed w/ epsom salts.
the one with the white leaves looks like iron chlorosis

do you have any lime in your soil?

what you have is called "Chlorosis"...usually a tablespoon of epsom salt in a gallon of water fed to the plants will clear that up...I have found that some pepper plants are more magnesium "hungry" than others...

here is a link to tell you about it and what to do...

http://urbanext.illinois.edu/focus/chlorosis.cfm

magnesium deficiency occures mostly at the leaf margins tho. i would think he would have noticed that. plus he said he hit them with epsom salt already.

I saved this from another post with a member having a similar problem. So far I have been really lucky, haven't needed to use it yet.

Good luck!

Plant Nutrient Deficiency Symptoms

Macronutrients
Calcium (Ca) •Symptoms:
New leaves are distorted or hook shaped. The growing tip may die. Contributes to blossom end rot in tomatoes tip burn of cabbage and brown/black heart of escarole & celery.
•Sources: Any compound containing the word 'calcium' and gypsum.
•Notes: Not often a deficiency problem and too much will inhibit other nutrients.

Nitrogen (N) •Symptoms:
Older leaves, generally at the bottom of the plant, will yellow. Remaining foliage is often light green. Stems may also yellow and may become spindly. Growth slows.
•Sources: Any compound containing the words: 'nitrate', 'ammonium' or 'urea'. Also manure.
•Notes: Many forms of nitrogen are water soluble and wash away.

Magnesium (Mg) •Symptoms:
Slow growth and leaves turn pale yellow, sometimes just on the outer edges. New growth may be yellow with dark spots.
•Sources: Compounds containing the word 'magnesium', such as Epson Salts.

Phosphorus (P) •Symptoms:
Small leaves that may take on a reddish-purple tint. Leaf tips can look burnt and older leaves become almost black. Reduced fruit or seed production.
•Sources: Compounds containing the words 'phosphate' or 'bone'. Also greensand.
•Notes: Very dependent on pH range.

Potassium (K) •Symptoms:
Older leaves may look scorched around the edges and/or wilted. Interveinal chlorosis (yellowing between the leaf veins) develops.
•Sources: Compounds containing the words 'potassium' or 'potash'.

Sulfur (S) •Symptoms:
New growth turns pale yellow, older growth stays green. Stunts growth.
•Sources: Compounds containing the word 'sulfate'.
•Notes: More prevalent in dry weather.

Micronutrients
Boron (B) •Symptoms:
Poor stem and root growth. Terminal (end) buds may die. Witches brooms sometimes form.
•Sources: Compounds containing the words 'borax' or 'borate'.

Copper (Cu) •Symptoms:
Stunted growth. Leaves can become limp, curl, or drop. Seed stalks also become limp and bend over.
•Sources: Compounds containing the words 'copper', 'cupric' or 'cuprous'.

Manganese (Mn) •Symptoms:
Growth slows. Younger leaves turn pale yellow, often starting between veins. May develop dark or dead spots. Leaves, shoots and fruit diminished in size. Failure to bloom.
•Sources: Compounds containing the words 'manganese' or 'manganous'

Molybdenum (Mo) •Symptoms: Older leaves yellow, remaining foliage turns light green. Leaves can become narrow and distorted.
•Sources: Compounds containing the words 'molybdate' or 'molybdic'.
•Notes: Sometimes confused with nitrogen deficiency.

Zinc (Zn) •Symptoms: Yellowing between veins of new growth. Terminal (end) leaves may form a rosette.
•Sources: Compounds containing the word 'zinc'.
•Notes: Can become limited in higher pH.

Hi guys, tnx for the info. I've now searched around the web and compared some pix, and it does look like it's chlorosis from perhaps too high pH. The weird thing is, these were grown in ProMix, which I thought had a carefully-tuned neutral pH. So maybe it's chlorosis due to something else.

I should mention that the yellowing (and now whitening) started at the top of the plants, and from the inside of the leaves. The yellow has worked outward to the tips of the leaves, and downward to the lower leaves. It started in every case at the very top, new growth and from the stem-side moving to the tips.

Now here are two more plants - both Caribb habs. One is healthy. The other is suffering this chlorosis malady. The thing is - same cultivar, both grown in the same medium, with the same ferts, under the same lights - yet one is sick!

Healthy caribb hab:

015-5.jpg

Sick caribb hab: notice it is the very top leaves that are worst, and then it moves out and downward:

016-5.jpg

not being a jerk but its technically 'interveinal' chlorosis ;) it makes all the difference when diagnosing some problems
check your nutrient labels, its possible that Miracle grow has no mircos, they probably expect you to plant these in soil not a soiless mix like promix. look on the label for iron/copper/maganese/zinc EDTA/DPTA or sulphates something like that.

are all your plants fed identically and in the same soil?

I don't use any MG products at all…just feel that's they're much better options available.
ThatÂ’s just me.

Back