• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Biggest Cooking Failure in the Kitchen

What do you think has been the one biggest thing you've tried to cook that had turned out to be a complete disaster?

tufu.jpg

Go to MIL's house she made dinner, i make desert(cookies)
Turn on oven to 375 for preheat.
smells like something is burning...
open oven, melted plastic on the heating element, smoke alarm going off.

this is how i learned MIL stores her frequently used pots, pans, and utensils in the oven.

melted plastic a bitch to clean up, oven smelled bad for weeks.

juanitos said:
Go to MIL's house she made dinner, i make desert(cookies)
Turn on oven to 375 for preheat.
smells like something is burning...
open oven, melted plastic on the heating element, smoke alarm going off.

this is how i learned MIL stores her frequently used pots, pans, and utensils in the oven.

melted plastic a bitch to clean up, oven smelled bad for weeks.

Great story.  One Christmas I received a sweet Enameled dutch oven for a gift. I took it home and the next day preheated the oven to 500F as I was going to make some bread. I placed my DO in the oven to preheat- while I walked to the neighbors for a quick beer.  Well at some point the day before someone put a bag of individually wrapped chocolate's inside my DO. Didn't even think to look twice inside. When I came back from having a beer the smoke alarm was going off... the rest is history. 

lol Scott 
That pic makes you go on a diet for now  :rofl:

I seen one of the guys here posting a fermentation project went bad, it was worse than this. 

I received a crock pot as a gift way back when. My mom never used a crock pot and nor had I at that point, so I purchased a crock pot cook book. I pretty much love any kind of Mexican food (I could and have eaten it 3x/day), so thought I'd go for what was listed as "Mexican Meatloaf." 

After 2 bites I threw the entire meatloaf away. Threw the cookbook away, too, without even trying anything else in it. Yeah, it was that bad. Kept the crock pot, though, and just figured out how to best use it on my own. I still remember lifting the lid of the crock pot to find this grey mass actually floating in a pool of grease. Ew. :shudder:

Back