• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Bio dynamic grapes grown in alignment with the moon and stars.

I saw this sign at Central Market grocery store here in Austin earlier and couldn't believe this lol. When organic just isn't organic enough apparently there is super organic. "Grown in alignment with the moon and stars."

Pls don't California my Texas.

FiKYKWoh.jpg

"If there's a single trend in how to grow wine grapes, it's biodynamics—admittedly an odd development for an approach based on a series of lectures given in the 1920s by Austrian philosopher Rudolf Steiner.
What is biodynamics?
At its most basic, the biodynamic approach to grape-growing sees the vineyard as an ecological whole: not just rows of grapevines, but the soil beneath them—an organism in its own right—and the other flora and fauna in the area, growing together interdependently.
Where biodynamics differs from other forms of organic or sustainable agriculture is in its idea that farming can be attuned to the spiritual forces of the cosmos. This might mean linking sowing and harvesting to the phases of the moon or the positions of the planets; it also might mean burying cow manure in a cow's horn over the winter, unearthing it in the spring, diluting a minute amount of the substance in 34 liters of water, "dynamizing" it by stirring it by hand in alternating directions for an hour or so and then spraying the mixture over one's vineyard.
Does it work?
Well, adherents of biodynamics think so, though the success of the practice is impossible to quantify: Scientific measurement of the spiritual is a contradiction in terms. The most effective argument for biodynamics is that wines produced employing it are more evocative of the place they're grown—and, consequently, better. Consider that converts to biodynamics include some of the most significant high-end wine producers today, such as Lalou Bize-Leroy of Domaine Leroy in Burgundy, Peter Sisseck of Dominio de Pingus in Spain, and Olivier Humbrecht of Alsace's Zind-Humbrecht. Also, a growing number of large-scale producers—Maison Joseph Drouhin in Burgundy, DeLoach Vineyards in Sonoma County—are experimenting with biodynamics. Finally, regardless of the more outré aspects of the biodynamic approach, the intense attention it forces growers to pay in the vineyard can't be anything but good."

Full disclosure: I couldn't resist the urge to investigate this hippie horseshit and bought some. :lol:

05oGEfwh.jpg

Tbh they're pretty good grapes. Maybe I should get take my garden into the shop and get my shit aligned lol.  :rofl:

Paying attention to the lunar calendar might mean better planting times and, as D3's excerpt points out, this ethos does mean more attention is being given to the plants. A holistic approach to one's garden does make sense, given that every plant therein is both taking from and giving back to the soil they all use.

Ultimately though, the cowhorn thing is witchcraft and the celestial alignment thing is astrology, both of which are bullcrap of the highest order.

Not really witchcraft, hot manure is packed in the horn and burried (essentially composting) then it's dug up diluted and used as a foliar spray, not sure if any calcium from the horn makes it into the mix but would assume a small amount does.

The act of adding manure to the soil is good, sure. The act of then digging it up again is weird. It's taking potential nutrients out of the soil, probably disturbing roots in the process, just to add them back again in a slightly different form after a nonsensical ritual is performed.

Ok, not really off-topic, but when I was a pup I was a long-hair musician type, and my hippie-dippie hairdresser told me that if you want your hair to grow twice as fast to have it trimmed on every full moon. After a year of her cutting my hair I could sit on it.

That being said, I don't go for the witchiepoo aspect of it all, there's physics in there somewhere.....

Back