• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Bird's Eye spread

My Bird's Eye was producing lots of pods and today alone I picked 44 pods. Here's the plant before I picked them:

DSC02425.jpg

I meant to create a hot spread to spice up my breakfast anyway, so I decided to use these hotties for it.

I added Pimenton de la Vera, Chipotle, Ginger, Macis, Salt, dried tomatoes, dried onions as well as coconut oil + yeast. Some fried soy "meat" for the bite.

Tastes great, I'll let it cool down now and enjoy some of it later. It has a smoky taste and is spicy as well, the heat takes a little while to kick in.

DSC02431-1.jpg

Yep! You can't tell by looking at the pic how bushy that plant is and how many peppers it is producing, there's still a s**tload of green pods on it and even a few buds.

I know how it's like. really thick bushes with loads of pods. EXCELLENT producers. some of my personal best. :)

Ooops, I forgot to mention that I used kidney beans as a base!!! Even 44 Bird's Eye peppers wouldn't fill 3 jars on their own, you'd need 444.

Chiliac said:
Ooops, I forgot to mention that I used kidney beans as a base!!! Even 44 Bird's Eye peppers wouldn't fill 3 jars on their own, you'd need 444.
Actually more, but ya. :lol:

Nice plant but the spread looks to kill for.You ought to post the recipe i`d like to try it.

Glad you like the looks of it, it tastes really good imo and is getting hotter day by day.

I'll try my best to remember the recipe (it was just an idea I had, so I gave it a go).

-Bird's Eye peppers (or whatever you fancy, Cayennes would be good, too. Use as many as you like, depending on the heat you want)
-2 cans of kidney beans
-fresh ginger
-dried tomatoes (I used 2 I dehydrated myself)
-tsp sea salt
-1/2 tsp black pepper
-3 tsp Chipotle powder
-2 tsp Pimenton de la Vera powder
-1 tsp Macis powder
-half a pack of yeast

Put all of that in the blender and well... blend it...

-one bag of soy meat cubes (or something like that, I guess you can use minced meat, but I think the spread will be good for a longer time with the soy, jmo)

Cook in a far too strong broth, then blend them for a very short time, to get small pieces and fry them in some olive oil.

-half a block of coconut oil/fat

Dissolve in a pan or pot and add all the other ingredients, let it cook for 5-10 minutes while stirring slowly and fill into jars. That's it.

Back