• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Black Compass

8,000 feet above sea level, low temps, low humidity, let's see if we can grow hot peppers at the top of the Rocky Mountains.

Strains

Round 1 Germ: Transplanted to 3 gal grow bags

Carolina Reaper - Baker Creek
Death Spiral - Baker Creek
Dragon's Breath - Refining Fire Chilis
Apocalypse Chocolate - RFC
Romanian Sweet - RFC
White Moruga - Bohica

Round 2 Germ: In cups awaiting transplant

7 Pot Chocolate - BC
West Indies Red Habanero - BC
Scotch Bonnet - BC
Sugar Rush Peach - BC

Round 3 Germ: Started 12/19

Pink Tiger x BBG7 - Texas Hot Peppers
Bahamanian Goat - THP
KS Peach Starrkist - THP
Hallow's Eve - THP
Thor's Thunderbolt - THP

Round 4 Germ: Started 12/28

Black Panther - THP
Scotch Brains Red - THP

Anyone that has grown plants indoors knows that it is impossible to move lots of adult fruiting plants somewhere to water them and let them drain their waste runoff after a certain size. I built a drain table that is slightly inclined so it will allow me to collect the runoff. I can also set up an automated system down the road to cover when I am on vacation.

The plants in the cups are ready to transplant but since I live in a pretty isolated area, I have to go down to Denver to the hydro shop to get more soil, and some panda film to finish the drain table. I am using Fox Farms Grow Big for veg and Fox Farms Big Bloom for flowering and Ocean Forest for the soil.

Attachments

• vail-village.jpg
    vail-village.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 935
Last edited:
Beginning stages are always exciting to do, but not so much to see so he is a quick time lapse of them getting to be juvenile.

Attachments

• IMG_6299.jpg
    IMG_6299.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_6285.jpg
    IMG_6285.jpg
    348.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_6276.jpeg
    IMG_6276.jpeg
    245.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_6180.jpg
    IMG_6180.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_6100.jpg
    IMG_6100.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_6087.jpg
    IMG_6087.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6105.jpg
    IMG_6105.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6306.jpg
    IMG_6306.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 47
Almost done with the table, so nice to have all the dirt and sawdust off the floor. Currently, I have a 510 watt LED panel and a 260 watt LED panel. Eventually I want to run dual 510 but they plants cant utilize that much light right now anyways. Put mylar insulation over the bedroom window to keep it from getting cooler at nights if I can.

Attachments

• IMG_6340.jpg
    IMG_6340.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_6326.jpg
    IMG_6326.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_6312.jpg
    IMG_6312.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_6308.jpg
    IMG_6308.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Plants are coming along nicely. Still getting them adjusted to the light, so not full power yet. Have some new seedlings cycling in from Texas Hot Peppers and also some on order in the mail. Still need to get a PH meter and water set up to fix the hardness. Some of them are starting to develop flowers. When do people who add water nutrients usually switch to a bloom based formula instead of a growth nitrogen heavy?

IMG_6372.jpg

Planted the Scotch Brains today, 3 went in, 2 will come out to move to adulthood and flowering. The Hallows Eve seedlings have started showing foliage colors so that is pretty exciting. Looking forward to seeing them grow out. The Pink Tiger BBG7 is planted and starting to be weaned off of the humidity and under the lights. Running 75% strength lights now most of the day. Still getting some leaf tacoing from the lights so hopefully another week and they can take it better. Lots of plants are starting to throw out flowers. I need them to start showing me genetic traits as soon as possible so I can remove what is not needed. My Pumpkin BBG seeds from Texas Hot Peppers should be here soon and will go right into the chamber.

IMG_6389.jpg

I’m not sure about the fertilizer l. I think I will not switch until I have them outside and have reached the expected size or under a much better light.

I had a hard time getting the reapers to start. Looks like you did not have that problem.
My red reapers did really well in germination. Those were from Baker Creek, which I will see if they grow true to type, but they had shockingly fast germ rates in all of their seeds I have gone through with this set. I foliar fed a plant earlier, hoping it is not burnt to a crisp in the morning. It was done outside of the lights. I will use the bloom formula for the next time I water. My bloom has some nitrogen in it also to help support new growth.

Im having some Ph related issues, im going to be getting a meter and fixing it soon enough. At the moment, I am using spring water and that has got to end. Our water is stupid hard here and the plan is to do half tap and half RO water but that is another set up to install. The wife will use the RO water for her espresso maker so it is helpful for both of us.

Last edited:
Ordered my PH meter and all the fun chemicals that go along with it. Grabbed a few calibration packets, 500ml of storage and of cleaning solution. @salsalady do you think this meter is accurate enough to use for PH verification for sauce and food products? I can always swap probes for food use and nute use.

Received my seeds from Texas Hot Peppers and already have the pumpkin BBG7, Primo Lucifer XL, and Blue Ghost V2 soaking.

Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 3.52.03 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 3.53.56 PM.png

.02 is defiantly accurate enough for food. That’s a nice meter.
Good to know, I figured but definitely want to be food safe.

Had a Devil's Tongue White finally shake it's helmet off, one seedling didnt make it from the helmet head, and a third one in process of shaking her's off. Weird to see all 3 have the same issue, maybe theyre genetically prone to it.

Good to know, I figured but definitely want to be food safe.

Had a Devil's Tongue White finally shake it's helmet off, one seedling didnt make it from the helmet head, and a third one in process of shaking her's off. Weird to see all 3 have the same issue, maybe theyre genetically prone to it.
After a day or two I just pull them off after soaking with water. It’s not all 100% successful but I feel like I need to do it.

Last edited:
What are you feeding with? Maybe I’ll do it a few times…
Fox Farm Grow Big, 1/2 TSP / G for foliar and seedlings. I am getting ready to switch to the Tiger Bloom for some of the plants that are throwing flowers. I feed light since I am still learning the plants so I could use a little nitrogen bump for them quickly. For the next plants that are seedlings now, I am going to go 16oz solo cup, 1gal grow bags, then 3 gal grow bags. I am wanting to shorten the time between waterings and feedings. These I went straight to 3gal bags from solo cups.

Last edited:
After a day or two I just pull them off after soaking with water. It’s not all 100% successful but I feel like I need to do it.
So still had one of the Devil's Tongue with a shell stuck on it, so I tried your advice. I propped it upside down in a bowl of spring water for about 10 minutes and then used one of my tools to gently slide it off, worked like a charm!

So still had one of the Devil's Tongue with a shell stuck on it, so I tried your advice. I propped it upside down in a bowl of spring water for about 10 minutes and then used one of my tools to gently slide it off, worked like a charm!
Glad that worked. I usually spay a couple times with water until it’s nice and soft. I learned it from pepper geek on YouTube. Sometimes I tear them up too much.

Glad that worked.

Last edited:
Back