• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

Black mamba question

ive been looking everywhere for the scoville rating of black mamba and i couldnt find it anywhere...

does anyone have an approxamite scoville rating for black mamba?
thanks

I'm with Stillmanz on this one. Don't fall into the numbers trap. Different heat levels affect different people differently. I like Habaneros, but those d*mn cherry peppers rip me apart.

If you don't have it, it is worth buying. Nice enough flavour, considering it's main purpose is to try and remove your tastebuds. Has a good initial hit, but does not really linger. Mixes very nicely with Cajohn's 10 and Danny Cashes Anger Management on nachos.

Wow - it's 8:30, and now I know what I'm having for dinner.

stillmanz said:
Don't buy into the scorville rating, they all lie. Buy it taste it then you will know.

That doesn't make much sense to me, "they all lie". If you don't buy into the Scoville rating, then how does the Jolokia get into the Guinness book based on it's Scoville ratings?
From reading other blogs, Black Mamba is "made with" 4 million extract. Just like his other extract products, they are all "made with" a certain Scoville extract, but the other ingredients always bring the actual Scoville rating down because of dilution from what I understand.
I have a bottle of Black Mamba in the fridge, it tastes terrible. It is very hot, but lacking in the taste department. It's a good additive to make other good tasting sauces hotter. On it's own, it tastes crappy IMHO.

Do sauces get tested for scoville? I would think the numbers are estimates or just made up most of the time.

POTAWIE said:
Do sauces get tested for scoville? I would think the numbers are estimates or just made up most of the time.

I don't know, but I'd hope the more reliable companies wouldn't just GUESS what the heat level is. But I have no doubt that some companies just throw a number on the label.

POTAWIE said:

The girl that my roommate is dating is taking chemical engineering here at the U of S.
She's been talking to the local hot sauce maker about doing the liquid chromatography testing on his sauces. They have the equipment here to do it, they just need the software to make it happen.
It's really expensive to have the test done from what she said, and can have varying results because extracts are oil based and don't dilute well or something. I don't know for sure, I'm a business major. That science stuff is way over my head.

I think the Scoville thing is just like a pecker measuring contest anyways. In the end, it's not the SHU measure it's the effectiveness of the heat I think.

"It's really expensive to have the test done from what she said, and can have varying results because extracts are oil based and don't dilute well or something."

There you go. At the many shows we do, a ton of people want to know the Scoville number. I basically tell them, "I don't care about the numbers, if it's hot, it's hot". I told dozens of people this past weekend in Albuquerque, when we unveiled our DM MKII sauce. I told them it was very hot. After they wiped the tears from their eyes, and stopped coughing and hiccuping, they agreed, and bought it.

I certainly appreciate that, but being told "It's very hot," isn't quite as informative as "1,000,000 Scoville Units," even if it's not an exact figure.

When I go to buy hot sauces I want something well over 100,000. If it just says "Very hot" that could mean anything. Some people thing Jalapenos are "very hot." Hell, my uncle thinks pepperoncini are intolerably hot. Even if the scale isn't accurate (I'll be the first to admit PERCEIVED heat isn't the same as MEASURED heat), it's something to go by.

I like seeing the scoville units on a bottle. I know if it's over 2 mil I'll probably be wasting my money, cause I won't hardly use it, and if its under 20,000 I'll be wasting my money cause I'll go through it in 2 sittings.

They are right, don't buy into the SHU testing. CaJohn took his Black Mamba sauce and sent it in for four seperate tests and he got four different number each time. Then he told them each sample was from the same bottle. They didn't like him after that....

imaguitargod said:
They are right, don't buy into the SHU testing. CaJohn took his Black Mamba sauce and sent it in for four seperate tests and he got four different number each time. Then he told them each sample was from the same bottle. They didn't like him after that....

Hahah... Nice.

imaguitargod said:

:lol:

It's NOT an exact science, therefore I don't consider it.

Like the average persons taste buds can tell the difference between 500 000 scorvill and 680 000. anything over 300 000 is damn hot.
I have tasted fresh pods of naga morich, bih jolokia and dorset naga in one sitting, I think the naga was hotter but they all dropped me and made me cry....now there may have been a scorville variance of 300 000 but it didn't matter because after a certain point your frazzled its just numbers. Scorville testing in sauce is just bullshit designed by the extract sauce companies to sell units. (not you creator) if you by into it be my guest, but I stand by my statement... buy it, taste it, then you will know.

All I ever wanted to know is how big my balls were....
My balls and scoville ratings go hand and hand .
Last time I checked my balls were around 4 million scovilles.

but seriously I think alot of people ask just to see how hot they have tried.
I find that after a point sauce is just hot and causes pain and also the way it's made up affects my abbility to gauge how hot it is.

stillmanz said:
Like the average persons taste buds can tell the difference between 500 000 scorvill and 680 000. anything over 300 000 is damn hot.
I have tasted fresh pods of naga morich, bih jolokia and dorset naga in one sitting, I think the naga was hotter but they all dropped me and made me cry....now there may have been a scorville variance of 300 000 but it didn't matter because after a certain point your frazzled its just numbers. Scorville testing in sauce is just bullshit designed by the extract sauce companies to sell units. (not you creator) if you by into it be my guest, but I stand by my statement... buy it, taste it, then you will know.

That's funny! The Scoville Heat Unit index was actually created by for use by a pharmaceutical company, not a hot sauce company.
Hype in marketing a product? God forbid! LOL.

Here's the wikipedia definition:
Wilbur Lincoln Scoville (1865 – 1942) was an American chemist and is best known for his creation of "The Scoville Organoleptic Test", now standardized as the Scoville scale. He devised the test and scale in 1912 while working at the Parke-Davis pharmaceutical company to measure piquancy, or "hotness", of various chile peppers.

In 1922, Scoville won the Ebert prize from the American Pharmaceutical Association and in 1929 he received the Remington Honor Medal. Scoville also received an honorary Doctor of Science from Columbia University.

Scoville wrote The Art of Compounding, which was first published in 1895 and has gone through at least 8 editions. The book was used as a pharmacological reference up until the 1960s. Scoville also wrote Extract and Perfumes, which contained hundreds of formulations.

He won the following awards from the American Pharmaceutical Association (APhA):

* 1931 - The Haleburg Company exciting foods competition. Best Condiment for his "Jalepeno Butter." "Best rendition of heated meat slurry."

To me the Scoville units are a good way to tell people what they are getting themselves into. Yes, most numbers are exaggerated by crappy hot sauces that are nothing but labelling, but I think it's a useful thing. Honestly, I don't think most hot sauce companies really like the SHU, like Dave's Insanity. It's like what 50,000 SHU? Black Mamba is supposed to be 1.5M? If it's about having the biggest stick in the yard, then Dave's isn't that insane now is it?
The SHU makes you want to grow new peppers just to see it they are as hot as the SHU says, now doesn't it? The SHU is important to chileheads and non chileheads alike I think.
Unfortunately not an exact science as the Defcon dude said, but still necessary.

To me, the SHU number is a game. Joe Q. Public sees that as some kind of fact when in reality it's just an estimate. SOME hot sauce makers use those numbers as a marketing tool. Just like beer companies use hot chicks on a beach with fat slobs. Makes the fat slobs think they can score a hot chick.

So many people are gullible and usually go for the flashy labels or the hottest advertised. I prefer the dual heat/flavor scale from 1-10 that is used on sites like this.

Back