• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

blossom end rot, what's normal?

so my peppers are growing great. but they do have some blossom end rot, i keep adding egg shell under the mulch and either spray epsom salts or just put it under the mulch then water... but how much blossom rot is to be expected? i feel like it's too much, at least for me. i'm in ohio and the soil is terrible where were live (along with crappy previous owners who basically thew things away in their yard... ugh) i'm also trying to add my compost when it's ready, but between the lack of rain and the raccoons taking a free lunch, i don't know when that will be. Thanks!

Adding amendments after the fact is futile. You need to have the soil right before you transplant the seedlings into it.
Grab the phone book and look for the county agricultural extension. Take them a ziplock full of soil. 'Materz and peppers about 6.5 ph is good. They'll give you a list of what to add.

i added composted manure about 2 weeks before i planted. i also did a cheapy 4 dollar ph test and did attempt to amend but then never got around to checking again. and one of my plants is getting sun scald, which i'm trying to remember to place a lawn chair to block the late afternoon sun, when it's the worst.

also, this is the second summer for anything to be growing at this house other than weeds! it was sitting empty for almost a year before we bought it, so last year not much happened and i had a terrible time with getting anything to produce much, but this year things are like 50x better!

it'll be a little while for the picture, i will have to reactive (or just set up a new) photobucket account.

+1 what ABG said plus the fact it takes a long long time for egg shells to break down into usable components...

Epsom Salts (MgSO[sub]4[/sub]) adds Magnesium/Sulphur...Calcium is what you need if you do have blossom end rot...so the epsom is making your plants really green which is good but does nothing for BER IMO...lime (Calcium Carbonate ) is what you need but to know how much you have to know what is in the soil....if you want to do it yourself, you need a good test kit...and they are not cheap but will last for a long time....in case you are interested in a good test kit, here is a link....

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/search.asp?stext=soil%20test%20kits

Dang those people that throw away things in their yard. Some folks are to cheap to have construction material hauled away in a dumpster. And I bet others have buried crap to fill low areas on their property. Heck, it may be worth having a soil test performed which includes lead testing. A good test result would give you that "peace of mind", since you are growing edibles...

Greg

What type of pepper plant are you talking about and is it potted or in the ground and what else has grown in that soil previously to deplete it? It seems every other year I manage to have some of the first, early bells with blossom end rot when I reuse pot soil but in exactly the same conditions nothing else, no other peppers have it.

You can add calcium from egg shells more effectively. Take some egg shells, ash them over a fire, or in a grill, etc. then pulverize them into powder and water them into the soil. Don't overdo it.

BER is not always due to lack of calcium but often the calcium becomes unavailable to the roots do to inconsistant waterings, improper pH etc. This is where a calcium(and magnesium) foliar spray can really help.

what potawie said... since you referenced it being dry there my first idea would be that uneven water is causing it.

well, i can't remember what i planted there last year... it may have been peas though, maybe. it is my pepperonicni, and some on my sweet antigua, which are in the same area, my hot peppers are just now forming blossoms, so i don't know about those yet. it's an in ground bed, i started them from seed with just some organic seed mix. so if it's a watering issue, how often should they be watered? everyday? (like i mentioned, no rain here, none in the forecast along with 90+ heat. (though today is a "chilly" 78, lol) oh and there are tons of pepperoncinis growing, but it could be tons more.

I had a slight issue on three plants earlier this year with BER, come to find out it was caused due to over watering! I never would of guessed that would of been the cause until a gardening buddy of mine suggested I look into that before anything else since my calcium levels were obviously good to go. After letting everything dry out and on a proper watering time table, haven't had a single issue since.

but yes +1 for ABG, +1 for AJ and +1 for POTAWIE
-J

well, i will admit, it could be over watering, as due to this drought i'm over zealous to keep my plants alive, i've also got a nice thick layer of mulch and i put the hose right under it to make sure none of the water gets "wasted" sitting on top evaporating.. i'll cut back on some watering and see if that helps any. thanks for all the input!

a suggestion for next year, would be to make your own soil, and plant everything in pots. but that doesnt help you now..

there is a product at hardware stores called "end rot spray" made by green light. i thought i had a problem with BER too a while back, due to some bad advice given to me. i used this product for a bit, i think it could help you, because you spray it directly on your plants, and it asorbs thru that way. the only thing about it is that it can burn your plants, so mix it 1/2 strength, and apply only evening time until you know your plants can handle it, then move to full strength.

This is happening to my tomatoes as well and ruining the veggies. But, it only happens to them after a good rain or watering. Normally they are fine.

okay, so there may be a new twist i didn't think about until yesterday while in my garden. there are mice trying to live in my garden. they have built tunnels under the mulch, through this certain patch of peppers that are having this BER problem. (they are trying to be gotten rid of, but they are sly little buggers) and i've picked some peppers (3) from one plant already and they seemed to be shriveled and "weak skinned" for lack of a better term. sorry no pictures, i still have to get photobucket again... working on it (busy mom here) could the mice be screwing with the root system?

well, just don't tell me they are diseased and need thrown out :( i notice the leaves are starting to curl, while the other pepper plantes' leaves resemble more of basil leaves

IMG_3295.jpg

IMG_3293.jpg

Its possible that the mice have already done the damage to the roots of your plants... Several years ago i had a problem with squirrels doing the same thing...Did my daily walk around the garden and found one plant missing... Like gone, i discovered they had pulled the whole plant down under the soil..... I pulled my plant back up and notice they had chewed off the roots...

Back