• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Blossom End Rot

Can I use pelletized lawnlime as a source of calcium on my tomato plants for BER? I got some for a very good price without doing any research, it just said on the bag that it was a good source of calcium so I bought it. Now,.......can I use it?

I got a bunch of BER on my one Early Girl plant, but I think it was from too much rain in June. I gave it a tablespoon of Tomato Tone and it went away, but I really don't think it was the TT that did it. Just went away on it's own. Not sure about the lime and tomato needs for soil ph, but Potawie would know.

Dunno about the lime, but unless your soil is absolutely devoid of calcium, BER is caused by uneven uptake of calcium ie. uneven watering. If you can, try to water your tomatoes on a regular schedule if you're worried about or experiencing BER. There is likely plenty of calcium in your soil, and the only factor that will cause the rot will be if they get drenched for a period of a few weeks, and then go dry, or some other watering irregularity.

Back