• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Blueprint for a non sweet sauce

Hello again,

While I wait for my previous fatalii and pineapple sauce to get to know each other in the fridge it's time for me to make another batch.

I have about 30 red jalapeños, 5 green jalapeños, 4 7douglah, 15 charlston hots(cayenne), 40 chiteplin Texas little pods, and an almost infinite amount of red cayenne...... I planned on using these peppers together for a sauce that was NOT SWEET.

I searched this forum and the recipe forum and BELEIVE it or not most recipes involved fruit.

Does anyone have a suggestion of ingredients that would compliment these peppers that will create a tasty flavor that isn't sweet?

My other combo of peppers I have that I need to figure out what to do with is 40 orange habs, 3 yellow 7 pots, 10 Datils, 4 ripening fatalli...... I figured these peppers belong together, although I have enough habs to make its own sauce. Just wouldn't know what to do with the rest.

Make a batch with the 40 habs and others listed with it.

Take the red 'peno's and make a small batch with just them.

Same with the cayenne's.

Make BLT sammich's.

Throw away the lettuce on the BLT's and sub the green jalapeno's.

The 40 chiletepin's aren't enough to do anything with except pop in your mouth between bits of other yummy stuff.

Peppers, Vinigar, and salt and water. Most of the traditional hot sauces you buy have very few ingredients.

If you want a hot sauce, don't put in anything milder than a Cayanne unless you want it for flavor. In some of my hot sauces, I'll add garlic, onion, carrot, jalapeno and/or chipotle but only for flavor. The vinigar washes away any heat they did have and even cayanne is pretty mild in a sauce (read: Frank's red hot mild). You really want habs and hotter to spice up a hot sauce. If it is too hot for your taste, cut it with carrot or more onion.

Make a batch with the 40 habs and others listed with it.

Take the red 'peno's and make a small batch with just them.

Same with the cayenne's.

Make BLT sammich's.

Throw away the lettuce on the BLT's and sub the green jalapeno's.

The 40 chiletepin's aren't enough to do anything with except pop in your mouth between bits of other yummy stuff.

Sounds good. Where would you put the 7 pot douglahs? In the cayenne sauce or the red peno?

Throw all the red chiles you want to use in a pot. Add onion to equal about 10% of the chiles, add some garlic.

Add about 1 cup vinegar per 10 cups chiles/onions

add about 1 tsp salt per 10 cups chiles/onions, or to taste
add any other spice that sounds interesting or that you like

If you have plenty of hot red chiles and want to "bulk up" your quantity, add some red bell peppers. They'll carry the red chile flavor profile and give you some bulk without the sweetness of fruit. It will reduce the heat of the hotter chiles, but the same thing would happen if mixing superhots with fruit. It all depends on how hot you want it.

Some people think you must keep each variety of chile separate in order to taste only that variety of chiles. There is some truth to that if you are concerned with tasting one specific chile. But I see nothing wrong with mixing a bunch of different chiles as long as they are similar. Mixing red and green chiles will give you a brown sauce, so I usually try to keep those separate, but throwing in a bunch of reds.... or a bunch of green pods if it's the end of the season and frost is on the way..... go for it~

Back