• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Blues Fans?

I've been a big fan all my life. Recently scored the Scorsese box set of docco DVD's...lots of great old tracks & clips.

TB, I know you'll be reading this, I been meaning to ask you how those mp3's were & did you get to see the film clips too (Tom Waits etc.)

Oh, I love the blues. Sippie Wallace has been on the cd player rotation for a couple of weeks now.

Just now listening to Otis Spahn, one of those players who hung around Chess with every other Chicago player.

I play in a local blues band as an hobby and we play mostly Chicago/urban blues.

Buddy Guy and Junior Wells, Chicago Blues heros:

budjr1.jpg

I have a collection from very old scratchy 78's all through to modern (Keb Mo, Tom waits, etc.) all on mp3 now - around 2800 songs.
Faves would be Robert Johnson, Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee, Howlin' wolf, Lightnin Hopkins, B.B.King, John lee Hooker...well. lets say they all my faves & theres too many to type out :P
Listening to SRV - Tin Pan Alley now ...saw him live when he was a 3 piece band...what a tragedy

bentalphanerd said:
Sippie Wallace...i thought I knew them all lol

I'd never heard of her until I heard her do a duet with Bonnie Rait. I quickly found a CD of hers after that.

Now Bonnie Rait I know from a real saucy track with John Lee Hooker on his Duets album - they did "I'm in the Mood" together...that track steams.

Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, Howling Wolf, John Lee Hooker, Albert King, Buddy Guy, James Cotton, WC Clark, Charles Musselwhite, Johnny Winter, Lightnin' Hopkins, Bobby "Blue" Bland.....

There's not much blues I don't like, really

Lately I've been feeling swampy....

Dr. John, The Funky Meters, Marcia Ball, Professor Longhair...

A little blues story for everyone....

Shortly after I moved to Dallas,TX in '90 I went down Greenville Ave. to check out some of the local music scene. I popped into this joint called Blue Cat Blues and it was open mic night. Well, I bellied up to the bar and ordered a beer and this short little redhead yelled to the bartender, "Hey Brick, put this guys beer on my tab." Well, I turned to clink her glass and say thank you...but the words didn't come out. I guess I stared a little bit.

"Hi, I'm Bonnie."

Yep... THAT Bonnie. She was drinkin' whiskey like iced tea and sat in with the band for a few tunes. Amazing slide player, she is.

Anyway, we got to talking about this and that and I heard the door open. Her eyes got really wide, so I turned around to see... Stevie Ray Vaughn walk in the bar, put his name on the sign up sheet to sit in and came over and sat with us....ordered a club soda. This was right before his helicopter crash.

Truly an amazing night.

Bent...don't know how I missed this thread before. Everythang' was great as per the cd's...excellent in fact! Damn...gotta' go...smoky oven with new pizza stone...

DevilDuck said:
"Hi, I'm Bonnie."

Yep... THAT Bonnie. She was drinkin' whiskey like iced tea and sat in with the band for a few tunes. Amazing slide player, she is.

Anyway, we got to talking about this and that and I heard the door open. Her eyes got really wide, so I turned around to see... Stevie Ray Vaughn walk in the bar, put his name on the sign up sheet to sit in and came over and sat with us....ordered a club soda. This was right before his helicopter crash.

Truly an amazing night.

No kidding! I'd have been so awed that I's have been tongue-tied. I'm impressed that you kept your cool and chatted with them.

DevilDuck said:
A little blues story for everyone....

Shortly after I moved to Dallas,TX in '90 I went down Greenville Ave. to check out some of the local music scene. I popped into this joint called Blue Cat Blues and it was open mic night. Well, I bellied up to the bar and ordered a beer and this short little redhead yelled to the bartender, "Hey Brick, put this guys beer on my tab." Well, I turned to clink her glass and say thank you...but the words didn't come out. I guess I stared a little bit.

"Hi, I'm Bonnie."

Truly an amazing night.

DD -.... dude. I dont know if I should laugh or cry or swear at you. Man I'm sooo jealous. Did Bonnie & Stevie get jammin?

When I saw SRV, like I said was a 3 piece band then & probably less than 100 ppl came to the concert and everyone in the first 3 rows. He sat on the edge of the stage with his legs dangling off smoking a big scoob. Something screwed up with the Bass, it had no sound, so Stevie just sat there for an hour and solo'd until they got the Bass sorted - Then he did the full concert anyway. What a gig!

The funny thing about that evening was that no one seemed surprised that they were there.

Yes, Bonnie and Stevie got up and jammed to an old Albert King tune. Just one song. They didn't play all that much...left most of the playing to the locals.

Back