• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Bonda ma Jacques, a.k.a. Bonda Man Jacques, a.k.a. Bonda Man Jak

The pods that I have in the picture were from St Lucia, I can rack my brains to figure when we were there but it would be easy to ask my wife. The last picture of the indivual pod is like the norm that I get off the plant. They're only about 1.5" long. I also brought back some seeds from the islands this past Sept. I should fire those up soon. I've got one variety that looks identical (tear drop shaped) to the Caribbean Red, but this one is yellow......good tasting . For some reason the market pods on St Kitts, Bart's and the one's brought over from Guadelope to St Martin (where the hot sauce production takes place) are all considered or called Scotch Bonnets.........hmm.

Thanks Greg! As far as I can tell, then, there is the Red Congo-looking Martinique version, and the Fatali/Devils-Tongue-looking St. Lucia version of the Bonda Ma Jacques.

Yum yum. All this talk about Madame and maJaK making me want to go to st Lucia. Nice to know all this background info about the peppers. Thanks

I know. It must suck to live there, where you can grow chiles all year!

Nice info Gary. Bonda and Madame Jeanette are surely closely related, maybe a local variant of the same pepper. Madame Jeanette is also a more commercial pepper in Netherlands so maybe there was some hybridization on the way and results may very depending on the seeds source... from what i've read/seen Madame Jeanette seems more smooth in the shape and a little less hot than Bonda. Cya Datil

Thanks, Datil! I just received some Madame Jeanette seeds from meatfreak in Holland. (Thanks Stefan!) So in a few months I can do a side-by-side grow. Germination time cannot get here soon enough!

Yeah, the Bonda seed I gave you was isolated from a plant grown from his seed...

Thanks Charles! Those seeds grew some formidable plants. (video below)

Back