• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

plant Bonnie Serrano plant? Not looking like it...

Not sure if I will buy Bonnie plants again. I got some bogus Dragon Cayennes and now this serrano plant is not looking too serrano-y.

Interesting thing is that the main stem/trunk seems to have split in three with all three stems growing upright together.

Here is a pic looking straight down at it. Looks normal.

3yZiDFR.jpg

Now, I peel back the leaves and you see the truck split into 3 vertical stems. There are a couple of peppers there that look larger than a seranno. Perhaps a bell? I am slightly bummed because this was my only serrano plant. I did pick up seeds from MWCH, but those were for next year.

qXqlEHn.jpg

They definitely have a problem with their plants this year. I bought a handful of their plants this year, I bought a cowhorn plant and a orange habanero plant and it looks as if they are both the same plant and some mutant cowhorn/hab cross. The pepper is wrinkly and a few inches in length like a cowhorn may want to grow but not as long and is the exact hab colour. The pepper has almost hab heat which is more than the cowhorn but a plain boring taste.

20150610_182814_resized_zpseij6nloj.jpg

Doesn't look "fuzzy" enough to be a Serrano either. The serrano's I grew last year had a definite bit of furriness? to them. Being a generally big box brand, could be entirely possible either people let their kids do whatever they want, which meant they played tag switch, or even adults did the same thing. Could also be an unintentional hybrid.

MeatHead1313 said:
Doesn't look "fuzzy" enough to be a Serrano either. The serrano's I grew last year had a definite bit of furriness? to them. Being a generally big box brand, could be entirely possible either people let their kids do whatever they want, which meant they played tag switch, or even adults did the same thing. Could also be an unintentional hybrid.

I think there is a deeper problem than a few kids or doofus workers swapping labels.  Most of the time, the Big Box will have a single shelf loaded with multiple plants, all of which are the same variety and are individually labeled as such.  It seems unlikely that an unruly kid would would go through the trouble of actually swapping the peppers (and labels) from another shelf. 

FWIW, I've bought a total of 4 plants from them, and suffered one mix up.

Geonerd said:
I think there is a deeper problem than a few kids or doofus workers swapping labels.  Most of the time, the Big Box will have a single shelf loaded with multiple plants, all of which are the same variety and are individually labeled as such.  It seems unlikely that an unruly kid would would go through the trouble of actually swapping the peppers (and labels) from another shelf. 

FWIW, I've bought a total of 4 plants from them, and suffered one mix up.
Agree on the deeper problem re Bonnie plants. My first year orange hab was a cross so who knows. That being said, may just be the kids/parents down here that are attributable to the label swapping.

took more pics of the flowers and the peppers, but I really am not good at taking pictures. It is too blurry when I try to get close. Maybe I shake too much.

Anyways, here is a blurry pic of the peppers. That large one is definitely not a serrano. I grew serrano's last year and they were long and skinny. This looks like it will be large.

hea4tE0.jpg

The flowers were all facing downward, but I managed to pull one up in order to take a picture of it. Amazing that it is not blurry.

HTTT9X5.jpg

I actually have the exact opposite problem and too many Serranos and what not.  I just couldn't get myself to throw away the extras.  So I squished my one garden left and added in the weaklings,  

But what I really came here to say, is why don't the hardware stores sell flats anymore?  Or even 6 packs?  All they seem to have are those expensive Bonnie plants.  Grrr.....

This year I've been surprisingly lucky with the Bonnie Plants Lottery.  I only purchased a few chiles at the HD due to having so many overwinters, but the C.annum that I did get are growing true:

Golden Cayenne
Cowhorn (Long Hot Red Cayenne)
Early Jalapeño

fM5xty1.jpg

qyYFE1O.jpg

New less blurry picture of the "Serrano". Looking more bell-ish.
IWRQCUJ.jpg

Now, possible interesting turn of events. Next to this pseudo Serrano is a Bonnie Jalapeno. Call me crazy but doesn't this look more like a Serrano than a Jalapeno?
wBvdQZ4.jpg

bpiela said:
New less blurry picture of the "Serrano". Looking more bell-ish.

Now, possible interesting turn of events. Next to this pseudo Serrano is a Bonnie Jalapeno. Call me crazy but doesn't this look more like a Serrano than a Jalapeno?

LOL, it sure does!  :)

Back