• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

bpiela 2020 grow + OW's

Getting to the point where I will start seedlings for 2020.  Still finalizing seed lists.  I need to buy some new lights this year. 

I have brought inside the following plants that I grew in containers with plans to overwinter:

Amarillear
7 Pot Bubblegum White
Aji Charapita
Bhut Jolokia Red
Bhut Jolokia White W Strain
Bonda Mahala F4
CAP 691
Mini Red Rocoto x2
Riesen Rocoto
Rocoto Yellow

The Aji Charapita was not happy and quickly perished.  The other plants are doing well, but I seem to have gotten a bit of an aphid infestation.  My plan is to take the plants out of the containers, recycle the old soil into my garden beds, wash the plants off and douse in Insecticidal soap, trim root ball if needed, trim plants if needed and replant back into the same container with new soil.  I am thinking of using Pro-Mix for the soil.

I will follow up with some pics of the plants currently.

Wow Ben, even with the plague that rent your grow asunder I'd guess you still have many times the survived plants that I have even planted!  Good luck to you...

I supposed you're pretty much all edjumacated up on that potato virus by now...aphids, eh? Bastiges. I'd like to just kill zem....kill zem all.....uh, sorry, my fictional Star Trek Freud is showing. Damned social distancing, anyway....

bpiela said:
Ooh, I have been hit hard today.  I decided to drop a couple of plants off at Rutgers Plant Diagnostic Labs to find out what is going on with the curled leaves.  I got an email back today stating that the plants tested positive for the presence of a potato virus Y group virus (poty group).  The only solution is to destroy the plants.

I would say most of my plants are suffering from this.  This is a bummer.  I had good germination rates.  I was very happy with the plants I had selected.  Right now, almost all of my chinense plants are to be destroyed.  A sad day indeed.
Dang! That's a rotten piece of luck Ben. [emoji53] Are you gonna sterilize and start again?

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

I'm so sorry Ben. That's just crazy!

Sterilize everything, I bleached all my pots before I started this year. I hate to say it but if you touch a plant in the garage and then touch one in your new grow....there ya go.

I started gardening in 1982, and used to buy starter plants. About 11 years ago I had 4 or 5 dozen tomato plants going. I never thought about the mold or fungus at the plant stem when I bought them. They were 4 feet tall and one just started looking like it needed water, and it was watered well. I lost 20 or so plants to Southern Wilt. I pulled each plant as it became ill and trashed it away from the garden. I also made sure the affected plants were the last thing I did in the garden that day. After that I started buying seeds and have done that since. But the area in the garden was infected where these plants were. The next 2 years I had a bit of issues, just lost a few nightshades. Crop rotation helped.

Sooo...the long winded explanation ^^^^^ is for caution. On other thing, can you treat the outside for this?

Be safe and move forward. Wishing you the best!

Well, my baccatum's were not infected so I started putting some in the ground today.  Pics to come tomorrow.  Today I planted: 2x Aji Amarillo, 2x Peruvian Giallo Arancio, 2x Aji Pineapple, 2x Aji Lemon Drop, 2x Aji Fantasy, 2x Aji Guyana, 2x Aji Ayuyo, 2x Malawi Piquante, 2x Bolsa de Dulce, 2x Aji Omnicolor, 2x Amarillear, 1 Aji Golden and 1 Erotica Orange.  Tomorrow I will plant out the remainder of my baccatums which are 3x Aji Melocoton, 3x While Lightning Bolt, 2x Sugar Rush Cream. 

Devv said:
I'm so sorry Ben. That's just crazy!

Sterilize everything, I bleached all my pots before I started this year. I hate to say it but if you touch a plant in the garage and then touch one in your new grow....there ya go.

I started gardening in 1982, and used to buy starter plants. About 11 years ago I had 4 or 5 dozen tomato plants going. I never thought about the mold or fungus at the plant stem when I bought them. They were 4 feet tall and one just started looking like it needed water, and it was watered well. I lost 20 or so plants to Southern Wilt. I pulled each plant as it became ill and trashed it away from the garden. I also made sure the affected plants were the last thing I did in the garden that day. After that I started buying seeds and have done that since. But the area in the garden was infected where these plants were. The next 2 years I had a bit of issues, just lost a few nightshades. Crop rotation helped.

Sooo...the long winded explanation ^^^^^ is for caution. On other thing, can you treat the outside for this?

Be safe and move forward. Wishing you the best!
I am not sure I can treat the outside for this.  I did ask the folks at Rutgers if it is in the soil and they told me no.  I have sterilized as much as I can.  I have eradicated the aphids.  I do think that I "helped" spread the virus by smooshing aphids by hand from one plant to another.  I am trying to do a test right now, in that I am starting a bunch of seeds inside in my grow area.  I want to see if I have cleaned things well enough for next year.  Whatever germinates, I will keep inside until next year.  At least that is my plan.  If I get the virus again, I will clean again and test again until I can safely grow inside again.  Anyways, I have been enjoying everyone's glogs.  You guys are growing alot of cool stuff this year!

Glad to see that you still have some plants
to go forward with, Ben. Really sorry to hear
about the potato virus. Darn Solanacae, anyway.

I hope your indoor test germination grow shows
that your indoor grow space is good to go.

Got a couple of rows of plants in the dirt, baccatums and annuums. 

lWx94nL.jpg

After a good rain, went out to the garden to pick my first few pods.  2 Cristal peppers that clearly crossed with something hot (maybe with Chile de Arbol), 3 runty Red Scotch Brains, 1 runty Hidalgo, a rotten Oda, and a branch that fell off one of my Sugar Rush Cream.  In hind sight, I should have saved the branch and tried to clone it, but that didn't happen.  Overall, garden is green and looking healthy.

A couple of pics from today.  This first one is of my baccatum row and an annuum row, same that is on this glog earlier.  Just to show the difference.

This is of a Kangg White Thai in a container.  Looks like I have a little purple in it?  Got seeds off of a train so they definitely could've crossed with something.

iss9c4p.jpg

Siv said:

From what I've seen, that's normal - they start white then go purple - yellow - red. Here are some pics posted by Khang himself: https://kcdgarden.com/103/ks-white-thai

roper2008 said:
Yes, that’s normal for Khang Star White Thai.  I grew it last year.
Cool!  I had seen someone else's pics online and they just showed yellow orange and white, no purple, so I just quickly assumed the worst.  Thanks both of you for setting me straight!

Weep-Womp!  Looks like I will not be harvesting any White Fingers Eggplants this year.

iZNo6YV.jpg

On a lighter note, here is a cool pheno coming off my Red Scotch Brains.  Nice tail!  (Not a great photo)

RwfBQxL.jpg

Lastly, the Masquerade pepper.  Beautiful purple color without the purple in the leaves.

ZeMJMjs.jpg

Some more little bits drizzling in.  Here we have a couple of Serrano's from Bonnie, a few small Hidalgos, my first chinense to grow to a normal size a CGN21500 x Moruga F2 from the seed train, two small peppers labelled Sorrento from the seed train, 4 Purira from Chilepepper.com, and a few orange (supposed to be yellow) Devil's Brew from Fatalii.net.  I have two plants of the CGN21500 cross, one with purple leaves and one with green leaves.  This pod came from the green leaved plant.

5ApLfi6.jpg

Back