• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

BPWilly's 2014 grow

Well, I am finally creating a blog here.  I started making my wish list back last year and collected seeds throughout the year.  Weeded it down a bit, but then I ordered some addtional seeds from PepperLover and of course I got a bunch or extra seeds which I had to include in my grow this year.

Here is the list of what I finally put into the germination pots.  I listed where I got the seeds so I could trace how successful they were as well as what the differences might be is I have the same kind of pepper from a couple different sources.

These were all started Mid January.

Type                                                   Obtained from
7 Pod Barackpore                               seed swap  June 2013  Torno
7 Pod Brain Strain Yellow                    Pepperlover Orig and bills 2013 seeds
7 Pot Brain Strain 2014                      PepperLover
7 Pot Chaguanas  purple                    Pepperlover Orig and bills 2013 seeds
7 Pot Congo SR Gigantic Yellow        PepperLover
7 Pot Jonah                                         PepperLover
7 Pot Primo                                         Watcom Seed
7 Pot White                                         PepperLover
Aji Panca                                             PepperLover
Bahamian Goat peppers                      From MidWestChilihead  2013
Bhut Jolokia                                        seed swap  June 2013  Sicman
Bhut Jolokia Chocolate                       seed swap  June 2013  Brad Ford OP
Bhut Jolokia Peach                             PepperLover
Bhut Jolokia Red                                Pepperlover
Bhut Jolokia White                             Pepperlover Orig and bills 2013 seeds
Bhut Jolokia Yellow                            PepperLover
Biquinho Yellow                                 seed swap  June 2013  Dragon Peppers
Black Naga                                         PepperLover
Blue Mystery                                      PepperLover
Carolina Reaper                                  Pepper Joes   Orig order 2012 and bills 2013 seeds
Charleston Hot                                    seed swap  June 2013  RedHawk
Chocolate 7 Pot                                  PepperLover
Chocolate Habanero                           seed swap  June 2013  Sicman
Chocolate Habanero                           PepperLover
Congo Trinidad Black                                    PepperLover
Congo Trinidad Red                           Tomato Growers 2012 and Bills 2013 seeds
Congo Trinidad Yellow                        PepperLover
Devils Tongue Chocolate                    PepperLover
Devils Tongue Yellow                          PepperLover
Dorset Naga                                        seed swap  June 2013 - Unknown
Dorset Naga  2014                              PepperLover
Fatalii Chocolate                                 PepperLover
Fatalii Yellow                                      Tomato Growers 2012
Fish Pepper                                         seed swap  June 2013  Spoonman
Fresno                                                 Wapato 2012 Orig and bills 2013 seeds
Giant Mexican Rocoto                        PepperLover
Habanero Big Sun                               PepperLover
Habanero Chocolate Long                  seed swap  June 2013  Dragon Peppers
Habanero Mustard                              PepperLover
Habanero White                                  PepperLover
Jalapeno                                              Wapato 2012 Orig
Jalapeno Corking                                seed swap  June 2013 - Unknown
Jalapeno Cracked                                PepperLover
Jamaican Yellow Scotch Bonnet          PepperLover
Jamaican Yellow Scotch Bonnets MoA         From Steve954
Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion                From Maxius
Lemon Drop                                        seed swap  June 2013  Sicman
Lemon Drop (ají limon)                       Totally Tomatoes  bills 2013 seeds and Orig
Manzano                                             Smokemaster  2013
Mystery                                               seed swap  June 2013  nutenaro
Nagabon                                              seed swap  June 2013
Red Goat                                            Wapato 2012 Orig and bills 2013 seeds
Silver Surfer seeds                              seed swap  June 2013
Super Chile                                         seed swap  June 2013
Sweet Cayenne                                   PepperLover
Tepin                                                   seed swap  June 2013  Brad Ford OP
Trinidad 7 Pot Brain Strain                 Pepperlover Orig and bills 2013 seeds
Trinidad Douglah                                PepperLover
Trinidad Perfume                                PepperLover
Trinidad Scorpion                               seed swap  June 2013  Sicman
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T strain       seed swap  June 2013
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T strain       Pepperlover Orig and bills 2013 seeds
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga                  PepperLover
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga                  seed swap  June 2013  Sicman
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Yellow     PepperLover
Trinidad Scorpion Orange                  PepperLover
Trinidad Scorpion Yellow                  PepperLover
Trinidad Scotch Bonnet Red              PepperLover
Trinidad Smooth                                 PepperLover
True Cumari                                        PepperLover
Unknown pepper                                From Maxius

Off to the races,  Will include pictures of how it is going so far.

Got a nice surprise in the mail today!  OCD Chilihead sent me some seeds that I had been looking for.

Thanks so much,  Got my planning for 2015 started!

IMAG0686_zps4e2c4ef5.jpg

LS929 said:
Bill,

The giant mexican rocoto looks incredible, along with all your other growing.

I'm glad I got to see someone else grow these though. I have these on my list to grow for next year's plants and was taken back by the black seeds. They look delicious and hearty as well. Do they have a fruity flavor or would it pair well with them in a tropical salsa?

LS929

They do have a fruity flavor, but the first thing I thought of when I tasted them was that they would go great in a salsa in place of the traditional Jalapenos that we use around here.   Yes, the black seeds are very different, but it seems that all the different peppers in this species have them which does make them unique in a way.   I was worried about them being able to grow in my climate, but they seem to really like it and the plants are larger  any of my other peppers.  There is a topic on this list about these peppers, and yop will see some very large plants in there (monsters).  Give them a try next year, I bet you will like them.  ThThere are several different colors and types, and I have only tried to orange Rocoto and have a Orange Manzano ripening soon.  The two plants (Manzano and Giant Mex Rocoto) look identical as do the peppers themselves, but I see different sizes and colors on this list, so have many more to grow out in the following years.

Good luck and I should have more pictures later this season!
Just some pictures of some peppers that I pulled today.  Having fun with the camera tring to get close-up pictures. 
Here are my first Trinidad Scotch Bonnets.  Shape is different from the jamaican SB, but they look great none the less.  Have not tried one yet, but will on the next day or so.
TrinidadScotchBonnets-2_zps29b96e76.jpg

next up are a couple of Aji Lemons (or Lemon Drops) never sure what the differnce is
Ajilemon-1_zps2c209965.jpg

Some Charleston Hots  (first year for me on these, nice heat!)
CharlestonHots-4_zps96ae1f11.jpg

Another Rocoto.  This is the third one and they are all about the same size and shape. (1.75 inch  x 3 inch)
GiantMexRocoto-1_zps343e1e15.jpg

My very first MOA.  Not a typical shape but exciting to me none the less.  I figure the first pods are going to be strange shaped, buit was excited to taste it.  Great flavor, heat was less than a Hab, but hit the back of my throut first and then worked its way forward!  A first for me.  looking forward for more in the future.
MOAScotchBonnet-3_zps123d0b3f.jpg

My first early Barrackpore, all the rest are still small and green.  Will be tasting this soon as well
7potbarrackpore-1_zps4b766990.jpg

That is it for harvest today,

will post some pictures of the soon to be pods next (not ripe, but waiting for them to get there!)

Thanks for putting up with my picture taking experiments!

Thanks Bill, they sound quite wonderful. I've never actually heard of the Manzano's before either so I'll have to check those out too.

bpwilly said:
Got a nice surprise in the mail today!  OCD Chilihead sent me some seeds that I had been looking for.

Thanks so much,  Got my planning for 2015 started!

IMAG0686_zps4e2c4ef5.jpg

LS929

They do have a fruity flavor, but the first thing I thought of when I tasted them was that they would go great in a salsa in place of the traditional Jalapenos that we use around here.   Yes, the black seeds are very different, but it seems that all the different peppers in this species have them which does make them unique in a way.   I was worried about them being able to grow in my climate, but they seem to really like it and the plants are larger  any of my other peppers.  There is a topic on this list about these peppers, and yop will see some very large plants in there (monsters).  Give them a try next year, I bet you will like them.  ThThere are several different colors and types, and I have only tried to orange Rocoto and have a Orange Manzano ripening soon.  The two plants (Manzano and Giant Mex Rocoto) look identical as do the peppers themselves, but I see different sizes and colors on this list, so have many more to grow out in the following years.

Good luck and I should have more pictures later this season!Just some pictures of some peppers that I pulled today.  Having fun with the camera tring to get close-up pictures. 
Here are my first Trinidad Scotch Bonnets.  Shape is different from the jamaican SB, but they look great none the less.  Have not tried one yet, but will on the next day or so.
TrinidadScotchBonnets-2_zps29b96e76.jpg

next up are a couple of Aji Lemons (or Lemon Drops) never sure what the differnce is
Ajilemon-1_zps2c209965.jpg

Some Charleston Hots  (first year for me on these, nice heat!)
CharlestonHots-4_zps96ae1f11.jpg

Another Rocoto.  This is the third one and they are all about the same size and shape. (1.75 inch  x 3 inch)
GiantMexRocoto-1_zps343e1e15.jpg

My very first MOA.  Not a typical shape but exciting to me none the less.  I figure the first pods are going to be strange shaped, buit was excited to taste it.  Great flavor, heat was less than a Hab, but hit the back of my throut first and then worked its way forward!  A first for me.  looking forward for more in the future.
MOAScotchBonnet-3_zps123d0b3f.jpg

My first early Barrackpore, all the rest are still small and green.  Will be tasting this soon as well
7potbarrackpore-1_zps4b766990.jpg

That is it for harvest today,

will post some pictures of the soon to be pods next (not ripe, but waiting for them to get there!)

Thanks for putting up with my picture taking experiments!
Your more than welcome Bill. Hope they all sprout. Just paying it forward.

Nice pod pics. Still trying to figure that out. I've notice lighting as the biggest factor when I take pics. They never come out the same. Keep it up. Congrats on the MOA. Let us know how the Bonnets and Barrackpore taste.

Thanks for sharing

Chuck

OCD Chilehead said:
Your more than welcome Bill. Hope they all sprout. Just paying it forward.

Nice pod pics. Still trying to figure that out. I've notice lighting as the biggest factor when I take pics. They never come out the same. Keep it up. Congrats on the MOA. Let us know how the Bonnets and Barrackpore taste.

Thanks for sharing

Chuck

Chuck,  there are a few folks on this list that take some incredible pictures, and you are right, the lighting seems to make the most difference.  In the Wilds blog, I have notices that some seem to use a black backdrop or something to make the plant color and flower color really pop out.  I do know that I need to work on learning how to best capture the depth of filed that I want and to use a tripod, as hand held seems to be a 50/50 chance for me at best.  sometimes I luck out and others I get everything but what I was hoping to capture.  But some of my pictures are getting better, so someting is working. 

I will post how the pods taste to me as I am not use to eating some of the super hots like some folks seem to be.  I remember last year when I triued by first reaper.  Thought I was going to be permenently in pain.  I would much rather use that one in sauce rather than eating it fresh again.  I try, but am not able to munch on these like others, but they sure are fun to grow and the powder is easier to use when needed.

I made some pepper infused salt with by yellow Bhuts and yellow Brain Strains last year and it goes great on popcorn.  I just have to remember to not inhale in when stuffing my face with popcorn.

bpwilly said:
Chuck,  there are a few folks on this list that take some incredible pictures, and you are right, the lighting seems to make the most difference.  In the Wilds blog, I have notices that some seem to use a black backdrop or something to make the plant color and flower color really pop out.  I do know that I need to work on learning how to best capture the depth of filed that I want and to use a tripod, as hand held seems to be a 50/50 chance for me at best.  sometimes I luck out and others I get everything but what I was hoping to capture.  But some of my pictures are getting better, so someting is working. 

I will post how the pods taste to me as I am not use to eating some of the super hots like some folks seem to be.  I remember last year when I triued by first reaper.  Thought I was going to be permenently in pain.  I would much rather use that one in sauce rather than eating it fresh again.  I try, but am not able to munch on these like others, but they sure are fun to grow and the powder is easier to use when needed.

I made some pepper infused salt with by yellow Bhuts and yellow Brain Strains last year and it goes great on popcorn.  I just have to remember to not inhale in when stuffing my face with popcorn.
My girlfriend takes pictures of her products she sells online in a light box. I might give that a try as soon as I get some ripe pods to shoot. Still learning outside pics with time of day. I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Smart Camera. Still trying to figure it out.

I've resorted to slivers with super hots so I can taste the flavor. Then I munch more to judge heat.

Hey Bill, how are your peppers doing?  Did they enjoy the rain last week?  I'm curious how your MOA are doing?  The one you gave me has grown into a pretty good sized plant, but has only one pepper on it.  Its kind of odd behavior, since the rest of the plants you gave me are doing awesome, especially the Fatalii and Trinidad Scotch Bonnet.  Both of those are packed with pepper waiting to get ripe.

Hope all your plants are spitting out peppers like mad!

turbo said:
Hey Bill, how are your peppers doing?  Did they enjoy the rain last week?  I'm curious how your MOA are doing?  The one you gave me has grown into a pretty good sized plant, but has only one pepper on it.  Its kind of odd behavior, since the rest of the plants you gave me are doing awesome, especially the Fatalii and Trinidad Scotch Bonnet.  Both of those are packed with pepper waiting to get ripe.

Hope all your plants are spitting out peppers like mad!
Turbo,

Most all the plants are really growing now with the cooler but sunny weather.  I have one MOA that while late, does have quite a few pods on it, but like yours, they seem to be a lot later than most of my other plants.  I am guessing the the pods I have are a first run quality, because there are not any with what I see called grade A pods, but they are at least getting some size to them, so I will have to see how they actually do, if they get ripe in time.
This seems to be a late year for this area, as my Fatallis are runnig later than they were last year, yet I started them earlier.  I am getting some nice looking pods, but they are ll green except for my Manzanos, rocotos and lemon drops.  I did get a couple of choc Devil tongues and I have 2 real nice red Bhuts that look ready to pick.  All in all, I think we are just going to have a laet season here, so we need to prey that the weather holds out till October.

I do need to get some pictures, as I have some nice looking (green) yellow Brainstrains, that if they get ripe will be a great treat.  I know they came in well last year towards the end of the season.

What has been surprising me is the congos, as they have always been pretty dependable, but so far all I have gotten if those little early ones, hot, but small.

I will get some pictures in the next few days to post.

Sounds great Bill. Can't wait for some pics. I have tons of flowers and pod formation. I have a feeling Fall is coming quick. It's dropped 10 degrees daytime and night. Ouch. The plants are loving it for now. They just keep pumping out flowers. A learning curve here. You almost need a green house here for Spring and Fall.

Time for a update.  Had my PC go belly up on me, so needed to pick up a replacement.

Things are starting (slowly) to ripen up.  Have lots of green pods, but am getting color on some of them.
Here is a 7 Pot Yellow PS
7PotYellowBS2_zps242e8db4.jpg

A Aji Panca  - not a lot of pods on these this year.
AjiPanca_zps1c6b77bb.jpg

Black Naga  ( I hope these turn from red to black!)
BlackNaga4_zps27f54764.jpg

Yellow Congo
YellowCongo1_zps1faa2cdb.jpg

Trinidad Scotch Bonnet
TrinidadScotchBonnet1_zps8fa518c6.jpg

Chocolate Habanero  (date is upside down, because I had to shot this while bending over)
ChocHabanero4_zpsd0b88b8b.jpg

7 Pot Chaguana
7PotChaguana3_zpsc4daf05c.jpg

7 Pot Chocolate
7potChoc1_zps47fc6d00.jpg

Chocolate Bhut
ChocBhut3_zps3a3b65d1.jpg

"Not Yellow" Bhut   I must have messed up on the labeling, as my other yellow bhut does look different (Yellow!)
BhutJolokia-notYellow4_zpsaba11ffe.jpg

Have a lot more pictures to show, just not a lot of color besides green!

Did you switch to a mac?  Unfortunately I think your red peppers are not going to turn brown... there's always next year...

Wow Bill. Pods are looking great. Prolific plants. Green pods are just as cool. Black Naga is crazy.

Thanks for sharing. Great pics Bill.

Spicegeist said:
Did you switch to a mac?  Unfortunately I think your red peppers are not going to turn brown... there's always next year...
No, not a Mac for me.  I use to have one years ago and really liked it, but have gotten use to the normal PC so am sticking with that for now. 

Bummer to hear about the Black Naga or "Not" Black Naga.  I will miss having the black ones, as they made a great sauce last year, but I fifugre I can make the same with the regular ones just as well.

Your right about next year, I am already thinking about what I will be planting and how many I will be planting.  I have some many in the freaser now from before, plus lots of dried peppers, so it is not like I need any, but they are funt to grow and see what works and what surprises I run into.

OCD Chilehead said:
Wow Bill. Pods are looking great. Prolific plants. Green pods are just as cool. Black Naga is crazy.

Thanks for sharing. Great pics Bill.
Thanks Chuck.  I just hope we have enough time so some of these pods get ripe.  A few of my Manzanos have 10-20 pods on them and the Rocotos are podding up again, so I will hand in there till the frost takes them.

Noe I need to start thinking about What and how many plants I should try to OW.  Have never done that, but I don't have much room.  My garage is unheated, so I think it might get to cold.  Guess I can try and see what happens.

Need a bump and I will post some more pictures

Bump!

I'm trying to figure out OW'ing some plants too. Might make some sort of rudimentary greenhouse, and use xmas lights for heat.

Thanks for the bump,

Here are some more shots of the current crop.  More green than I would like, but at least there are pods.

Trinidad Perfume (first year gowing these)
TrinidadPerfume3_zpsd1f5f441.jpg

Giant White Habaneros
WhiteHabanero3_zps77e85c36.jpg

Red Congo
CongoRed2_zps7ab22e05.jpg

Yellow Congo
CongoYellow1_zps7be9565c.jpg

Black Congo
BlackCongo1_zps23f84b11.jpg

Dorset Naga
DorsetNaga_zps004de30f.jpg

Biquino Yellow  (first time growing these)
BiquinoYellow2_zps27eb2046.jpg

Devils Tongue
DevilTongueYellow3_zpsab335924.jpg

MOA  -  No "Grade A" shapes here, but it is getting pods!
MOA3_zps7c26883a.jpg

MOA  -  One of my other MOA planst, no Grade A shapes here either.  But the taste is spot on!
MOA2_zpsbf35e20f.jpg

Need another bump, as I have a few more

PIC 1 said:
Very nice bp....your plants are just loaded down with pods. The unripe one's will be hitting you in waves of colors...soon !
Thanks, I am hoping that is the case.  Sometimes we have a nice and long mild Sept/Oct, and if that happens this year, I should be OK.  Either way, it is always fun to grow and learn more about growing these peppers.   I plan on using more AACT next year and see what difference it makes.  I know it can not hurt.

Here are the rest of my pics that I toook the other day.

Trin Scorpion Orange  (Again taken upsidedown!)
TrinScorpOrange1_zpse0371caa.jpg

Choc Hab
ChocHabanero3_zps6e63835e.jpg

Manzano
Manzano2_zpsc3933e64.jpg

Rocoto
MexRocoto1_zps4440c9d1.jpg

Yellow Fatalli
YellowFatalii1_zps39ae067a.jpg

Yellow Bhut  -  pretty small pods, but at least the right color this time
YellowBhut1_zpsdd40e8e3.jpg

YellowBhut2_zpsc6315ad1.jpg

That should be it, until I start getting more color

Well I was out watering the plants in the back and was able to pull a few ripe pods today.

Starting at the bottom, and moving counter CCW

Yellow Congo,  Bhut, Fatalli, 7 Pot Chaguana, 7 Pot Choc, 7 Pot Yellow BS, Yellow Bhut, Small Red Congos, Bahamian Goat, Choc Hab, Lemon Drop, Butch T, Choc Bhut  (some not as ripe as I thought they were)

DSC_0101_zps2ddae6d3.jpg

Back