• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum Brain Strain - Jalapeño cross question

HAJ said:
It's certainly no less boring! But still an annum X chinense hybrid.

The effects of crossing a F1 with another chili is more or less the same as a "normal" F2. You get a mixed set of genes from the F1 parent and a fixed set of genes from the stable parent. I.e. all seeds will carry a different set of genes. Theoretically the offspring plants should, on average, tend to be more like the stable parent, but again that really depends on which parent has genes that dominates more than the other. If you only grew 1 plant, and are happy with the result, forget the theory  :shh: and grow out the as many plants of the next generation as you can. Select the best and repeat. When you reached a generation where all the plants seem the same, you have a new variety  :dance:
Thanks !

Spankyscolts said:
Let me throw a Monkey Wrench into all this. So far the folks Ive given this pepper to have went gaga over its taste it is sweet and juicy, very juicy and has a nice heat but what gets you is the flavor. Im now wondering if was a Jalapeno it crossed with OR a Carmen. I grew Carmen's last year to use on my salsa I didn't even know they could cross with supers so I did nothing to seperate them. This mutt has a super sweet taste like a Carmen. Now here is the problem. The Carmen is a sweet hybird. Since its a hybird that complicates this cross quite a bit if its indeed a parent correct? These things are succulent sweet, then damn HOT. It's taste is awesome so I definately want to perserve this.

You'll need to overwinter that plant to have exactly the same fruit.  Growing out the seeds will lead to uncertain results.  You could also root cuttings from the plant and keep it going this way.  Quite a few people clone plants this way.

Back