• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

baking Bread Maker

if you like fresh bread then definitely get your own breadmaker. they are easy to use, (almost) foolproof and turn out a consistent product. as said above, get one with a timer and the ability to make a larger loaf. powdered peppers are better than sliced or chunks. a nice hab/ham/cheese loaf is one that will have you raving for weeks on how good a baker you are. of course the cheaper option is doing it by hand and baking in the oven but a breadmaker does all the kneading and resting of the dough for you - it's a no-brainer. they're especially good if you're into gadgets or can't be bothered doing the manual labour thing or don't have the time to do it 'by hand' but still want to make your own bread.

Here's the final product. As I mentioned earlier, the mix was Hawaiian sweet bread. Very sweet, not doughnut sweet but pretty sweet. The freshly chopped habbies gave it a perfect kick.
This turned out AWESOME TASTY!!!
I highly recommend getting one of these bread machines. Making your own recipe costs less than half of the price of a pre-sliced loaf at the grocery store. Better bread, less money, what more can you ask for. Plus, cleanup is almost nothing. The loaf popped out of the teflon pan with ease. One quick rinse and I'm ready to go again.

Sorry about the image quality, my camera-phone kinda sucks.

loaf_2.jpg

Nice looking machine, Patrick. I would have preferred to spend more for a better machine, but times are tight and right now I am trying to maximize my food budget.
For under 2 bucks and a little electricity I can nicely load my belly.

StoneySauce said:
I would have preferred to spend more for a better machine, but times are tight and right now I am trying to maximize my food budget.

Mate you have got a pretty good one yourself....Their's nothing wrong with sunbeam........and by the way you are banging on about it, you are pretty bloody happy with what it produces....:lol:......So all is good. :)

moyboy said:
...by the way you are banging on about it, you are pretty bloody happy with what it produces.

Absolutely. Sunbeam has always been a respectable brand.
I am blessed with some very cool neighbors who love to share their good food. Alone each dish is great, but when we gather and all add something to the table it becomes a remarkable feast.
Give me some tropical Florida sunshine and a table loaded with everyone's good ol' home cooking.
thumbsup.gif

Money spent doesn't mean anything, it's the final product that makes the grade. From what I can see and your description StoneySauce you're doing just fine. Congrats.

moyboy talking about the smell got to me, time to fire ours up. Nothing smells better than fresh bread.

StoneySauce said:
I highly recommend getting one of these bread machines. Making your own recipe costs less than half of the price of a pre-sliced loaf at the grocery store. Better bread, less money, what more can you ask for. Plus, cleanup is almost nothing. The loaf popped out of the teflon pan with ease. One quick rinse and I'm ready to go again.
Hey StoneySauce, I have the same machine and love it! It works perfectly for me.

One lesson I've learned is to block that puppy in, on the counter. Somewhere around my 10th loaf, it walked itself right off the counter and fell to the floor, scaring me and the cats about half to death. It's a tough one. A little plastic damage, but it still works perfectly.

If you cruise the net, you'll find that you can make many other things in it besides bread. Soups, puddings, cakes...

Very cool machine! Congrats on the purchase!

Jalapeno Bread

Ingredients:
1 cup water
3 cups bread flour
3 tablespoons nonfat dry milk
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 tablespoons butter, in small pieces
2 teaspoons active dry yeast
2 to 3 tablespoons chopped canned jalapeno peppers
1/4 cup finely shredded Monterey Jack cheese or finely shredded Mexican blend of cheeses

Preparation:
I used undrained chopped jalapenos from a small 4-ounce can, but alteratively, you could use mild chopped chile peppers from the can or chop canned jalapeno rings.

Add the ingredients to the bread machine pan according to your bread machine manufacturer's suggested order. Select white or basic with a light or medium crust.
Use fewer jalapenos or mild chile peppers for a milder bread. Makes a 2-pound loaf.

NatGreenMeds said:
Jalapeno Bread

Ingredients:
1 cup water
3 cups bread flour
3 tablespoons nonfat dry milk
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 tablespoons butter, in small pieces
2 teaspoons active dry yeast
2 to 3 tablespoons chopped canned jalapeno peppers
1/4 cup finely shredded Monterey Jack cheese or finely shredded Mexican blend of cheeses

Preparation:
I used undrained chopped jalapenos from a small 4-ounce can, but alteratively, you could use mild chopped chile peppers from the can or chop canned jalapeno rings.

Add the ingredients to the bread machine pan according to your bread machine manufacturer's suggested order. Select white or basic with a light or medium crust.
Use fewer jalapenos or mild chile peppers for a milder bread. Makes a 2-pound loaf.

Awesome. This will definitely be my next loaf. Thanks.
But...
Canned jalapenos? The Pepper Gods might strike me down.

StoneySauce said:
Awesome. This will definitely be my next loaf. Thanks.
But...
Canned jalapenos? The Pepper Gods might strike me down.
Sure, I'm not a fanatic about the subject. Peppers are good from cans, jars, friends, and people I don't even know. I like them fresh, canned, frozen or pickled. Mixed, matched, multiplied and mistaken for other types. I like them on every day of the week, 365.

To limit them to only fresh is to miss out on all the other ways of enjoying them.

Have fun with the bread! You can, of course, put diced fresh of any kind in the recipe and put in as much as you like to a point. three tablespoons of diced 7-Pot would prolly heat it up nice.

NatGreenMeds said:
To limit them to only fresh is to miss out on all the other ways of enjoying them.

I certainly can't argue with that logic. You are exactly right. I'm sure there are plenty of tastes and flavors that have earned them the right to have their procuct canned. I'm just very partial to my own garden. With them I am exactly sure of what I'm getting.
I will follow your recipe exactly. Do you strain and rinse the jalapenos out of the can?

StoneySauce said:
I certainly can't argue with that logic. You are exactly right. I'm sure there are plenty of tastes and flavors that have earned them the right to have their product canned. I'm just very partial to my own garden. With them I am exactly sure of what I'm getting.
I will follow your recipe exactly. Do you strain and rinse the jalapenos out of the can?
Yes, I do. Like you, I'm never sure of exactly how canned foods were processed and what precise measurements of additives were added to that particular can or jar. I always dump canned food into a collender, rinse it in my local running water, let it drain a bit and then use it. The flavor won't be as intense as when using fresh produce, but you can add more to gain both more flavor intensity and heat from the canned peppers if you like. It also makes the appearance of the bread better when you use more than in my suggested recipe. I don't know what your tolerance is for the heat, but be careful; you don't want to make it so hot that it overpowers the foods you're enjoying with the bread. (Of course, if someone is a bad cook, you could do this on purpose to mask flavors that aren't to your liking.

Good luck! Let us all know how it turns out!

NatGreenMeds said:
I don't know what your tolerance is for the heat, but be careful; you don't want to make it so hot that it overpowers the foods you're enjoying with the bread.

Agreed. I personally have a high tolerance for hot food and I have long outgrown the need to have a macho contest to see who can tolerate the hottest pepper. I usually win and I never feel very proud of it.
The flavor, not the contest. ;)

StoneySauce said:
Here's the final product. As I mentioned earlier, the mix was Hawaiian sweet bread. Very sweet, not doughnut sweet but pretty sweet. The freshly chopped habbies gave it a perfect kick.
This turned out AWESOME TASTY!!!

Sorry about the image quality, my camera-phone kinda sucks.

loaf_2.jpg

I love to eat Hawaiian bread with a spinach dip...so good.

Great thread Stoney. I've always thought about buying a bread maker so I might just hafta get me a Sunbeam for X-mas.

Turk said:
I love to eat Hawaiian bread with a spinach dip...so good.

Great thread Stoney. I've always thought about buying a bread maker so I might just hafta get me a Sunbeam for X-mas.

Cool. Forget those high-dollar brands. This Sunbeam jams! So far it's above and beyond my expectations. I've found some great pre-made bread mixes. Put in the mix, add a cup of water and hit a couple buttons. 3 hours later the house smalls great. The spinach dip sounds great.
I've been thinking about making a loaf on the dark setting, scooping it out and filling it with French onion soup. I've had it that way in restaurants on a smaller scale.
Spinach dip done the same way would be great. Matter of fact, I'm thinking Super Bowl party fare.

Hey Stoney,

Here's a little method of making something to go along with that home-made bread:

Home-Made Blender Butter

Using a half-pint of heavy whipping cream and
having a 2 cup container of half ice-half water ready:

Pour the whipping cream into the blender. Note the time. This takes exactly ten minutes.

Run the blender at it's slowest speed until you see that the cream has become whipped and no longer hitting the blades. (About a minute) You'll hear the difference also.

Add enough ice water, (not the ice), to make it watery again where it's flowing nicely around the blades in a funnel shape.

Keep the blender running and add water each time the mix gets too thick to "funnel" in the blender.

At ten minutes, stop the blender and dump the batch into a screen strainer over the sink.

Let it drain and then dump it into a container twice the size of the butter.

Mix a SLIGHT amount of salt into it and "work" the butter with a spoon. You'll notice that more water will come out of it. Keep pouring off the water.

When it looks like not much more water will come out of it, pack the butter into the container of your choice and put it in the fridge to harden.

That's it.

You now have home-made butter.

It's really, really good.

The 8 ounces of whipping cream made exactly 5.7 ounces of butter with 2.3 ounces of water loss.

Enjoy!

No additives, no factory oils or rat droppings....pure, sweet home-made butter.

Back