• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hybrid Breeding question

Here is a Capsicum genes list (292 items)
The list contains information about genes which influence colour of immature and mature fruits.

Hope it'll be helpful for anybody who has such hobby as a pepper breeding.
wink.gif

Very cool find, Varg. Thanks for posting that. Very information dense.

Don't mention it, Sawyer!
By the way, last year I used Fatalii with orange-yellow fruits
Fatalii_210_days_ripe_fruit1.jpg

and Pimenta da Neyde
Pimenta_da_Neyde_142days_fruit.jpg

in my breeding test.
So I got a red fruit at my F1 hybrid plant.
Fatalii%2520X%2520Pimenta%2520da%2520Neyde%2520F1_127days_1st_pod_ripening2.jpg

Can anybody explain me why it's red?

Here is a Capsicum genes list (292 items)
The list contains information about genes which influence colour of immature and mature fruits.

Hope it'll be helpful for anybody who has such hobby as a pepper breeding.
wink.gif

Awesome find! Do they explain which dominant genes are which? How do they annotate in the table which ones are dominant?

Don't mention it, Sawyer!
By the way, last year I used Fatalii with orange-yellow fruits
Fatalii_210_days_ripe_fruit1.jpg

and Pimenta da Neyde
Pimenta_da_Neyde_142days_fruit.jpg

in my breeding test.
So I got a red fruit at my F1 hybrid plant.
Fatalii%2520X%2520Pimenta%2520da%2520Neyde%2520F1_127days_1st_pod_ripening2.jpg

Can anybody explain me why it's red?

Maybe the pimenta da Neyde has a dominant red color gene that isn't expressed, because it doesn't ripen (like jalapenos and other fruits). The purple is a separate process.

Edit: It's a bit odd that the stalk didn't purple on your F1. Do the leaves have any purple tanning going on?

I was thinking something sort of like that. In (overly) simplified terms, the yellow and purple colors are both the result of expression of recessive genes. In order to maintain that color, any offspring would need the recessive gene(s) from each parent. The purple doesn't have recessive for yellow and vice versa, so the color defaults to red. Or something like that. Pure speculation on my part.

I was thinking something sort of like that. In (overly) simplified terms, the yellow and purple colors are both the result of expression of recessive genes. In order to maintain that color, any offspring would need the recessive gene(s) from each parent. The purple doesn't have recessive for yellow and vice versa, so the color defaults to red. Or something like that. Pure speculation on my part.

Looks like you are on the right track. You are becoming a Mendelian. Great photographs btw.

Is it typical that chinenses sometimes get puple leaves in the early stages... I have not had more than 50 plants in total but have seen those nice purple leaves on 3 plants... All did not continue to set the purple leaves...

Back