• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

BRING IT ON!!!

Who is going to win???

• Total voters
Looks like Team Tonly has hit one out of the ballpark...with men on base! Nice vid of the hydro set up and the other "men" in the lineup... :cool:

It looks like Tonly has officially won the "first ripe pod" category. We will be making measurements later to determine the winner of the remaining categories. The weather here has been very cool at night (40s and 50s) and not very conducive for ripening pods. That being said. . . CONGRATULATIONS TONLY ON WINNING THE FIRST CATEGORY!

I have really enjoyed this contest and will most likely be doing something similar from here on out.

Alright, now for the remaining categories.

Height - Looks like 29.5" to me...

BCHEIGHT.jpg

Width - Measurement taken at thickest part of stem, not a a branch node
Looks like 7/16" to me...

BCWIDTH.jpg

Let me just say, I really enjoyed this contest from beginning to end. You are one hell of a grower Toby!!!

Just got home from work. You definitely have the "tallest" category. Will have to measure and post an update later today.
We both get to start shopping for some sauce now. :dance:
Even though he was cheering for the wrong team, I am gonna have to get something from JustaGuy. Looks like he was the only sauce maker really following this little contest and his sauces sound like winners to me.

Will post pics tonight.

Definitely have enjoyed this. Thanks to RedtailForester and also all the folks following along with us. This has been the most fun I've had growing a few plants. Will be looking forward to many more.

Well done, Tonly.

Your contest inspired the romy6 vs. Newtune contest and I hope it will inspire others. It really is a lot of fun and I hope it encourages more people to start growing.

Thanks Newt! Will be watching your "growdown". I'm not much of a cook, but I can see from this how much fun the monthly throwdowns here at THP are for all the folks that can cook. I guess this has been sort of a growing version of a throwdown. Hope to see many more.

Here are my final pics. My tallest plant was only about 18 inches probably due to our record heat this summer. Almost from the beginning we had upper 90's to as high as 110F. Many triple digit days. The plants stayed very compact with a short inter node length.
Nutrients I used for this was GenHydro 3 part. Also added a little CalMag a couple times. Only changed the nutrient solution once. The extreme heat caused the nute solution to get pretty hot but I don't think there were any problems because of that. I had intended to build a chiller for the reservoir but work commitments didn't allow time.
Well, Pics are still uploading to photobucket and dinner is ready so, I'll add the pics later.

Tallest of my plants:

DSC_0006-1.jpg

Ripe Pods.

DSC_0005-1.jpg

DSC_0004-1.jpg

Here's what I meant by short internodal length. I Pruned several branches off this one plant.

DSC_0003-2.jpg

I think I may have a very slight edge on stem thickness. It's about 1/2 inch. I say we call that one a draw and we both get 2 bottles of sauce.

DSC_0002-1.jpg

I put all of my contest pics in one album. Here is a Slide Show

Had to root for the local. I feel the weather he feels so I could tell it would be good. I think if y'all did this again with in ground only he would have ya Tonly, but on the same note if y'all did it with DWC then Tonly would champion it. You both are great growers. Sooo many ways to skin a cat. :rofl:

I didn't originally plan on using ONLY hydro. Just got busy (lazy) and never got any in the dirt.
My plants probably survived because I was too busy to mess 'em up. :D

this is about the time i chime in and post something goofy.......but..... i'm empty.

great job to both growers.

wait....feel something coming on........wait until it rains and soilboy's orange crayon washes off, we'll then see the ultimate grower! Go team Tonly!

wait....feel something coming on........wait until it rains and soilboy's orange crayon washes off, we'll then see the ultimate grower! Go team Tonly!
:rofl: Just for a second there BC I thought you weren't going to slate RedTail :rofl:

Thanks for a few months of entertainment guys :clap: , hope you enjoy your sauces and I hope you do it again next year!

since this post has almost ended perhaps we can get tonly and redtail to do a beagleguy like video and do a taste tester.

i have eaten a raw bulgarian carrot, as one of the participants in the challenge knows, hmmmmmm, and i liked the flavour. but i have read other posts on members that were really turned off by the taste.

let's end this post with a final taste review of the end product, what do you say guys?

That's a good idea BC. I'll see if I can find time this week to do that. I'm not much of a reviewer but I'll give it a try.

How could these plants be winterized ?

Should I start over with seeds in the spring, or can these plants survive the winter in-doors.

Thanks

donald

Back