• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

BrooklynXpat's First Grow Season - 2013 - Pod harvest 8/16

Hey THPers!

Just wanted to get my 2013 Grow Season off to a good start. I have begun doing some things and will try to backlog as much of what I did in the log here.

I built 3 4x6 Cedar Raised beds and have a handful of planters that I plan on using to get some more starts for the 2013 season. To fill my Raised beds I bought the following plants from CCN (Cross Country Nurseries in NJ) and have been babying them inside my house near a sliding door with good ambient light since its been real cold for the past 2 weeks.

7 Pot
Datil Sweet
Fatalii
Chocolate Hab
Jalapeno Jumbo
Limo
Marconi Golden
Thai Yellow

Non Peppers
Black Cherry Tomato
Cherokee Purple Tomato
San Marzano Redorta Tomato
Sunsugar Tomato
Black Beauty Eggplant
Cloud Nine

I began hardening them off this week and I think they are almost ready to get outside - monday is only day they say that will drop below 50 @night.

Getting delivery of my 3cu yards of 50/50 mix of organic compost and topsoil
img20130419092055.jpg

After one of my raised beds was complete
img20130410115628.jpg

After un-boxing the plants from CCN (ill start taking close-ups)
img20130423151932.jpg

Repotting into 6" planters
img20130424085446.jpg

I'm open to suggestions as far as spacing is concerned since i want to maximize my space as much as possible without hindering growth. As you can how my setup is currently for my beds. Dont mind all the dead grass - after Sandy - most things haven't come back yet or are completely dead :(
img20130509132011.jpg

Thanks and hope to keep everyone updated with more info/pics as time goes on.

Devv said:
Sorry your season is winding down, but you had a good one!

Try not to work so hard, life goes by so quickly...geeze my older G-daughter will be driving soon...just crazy!

Mañana be Friday!
Not bad for first season, cant complain - got a few more peppers on the plan that i am hoping will ripen up. Most of my peppers went to the freezer since i only picked 1 or 2 at a time, i will make some sauces.

Life does go quickly - I really need to learn to appreciate it and not stress so much about work. Thanks for the kind words :P

Still waiting for paver guy to come and clear out some of the backyard so i can start figuring out the amount of garden space i will have. Next year will be interesting, news to come soon :)

Back