• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

pod Brown/Caramel Pod

mystery-naturefresh_ca.jpg

This past week I picked up three different packs of hot peppers at a local supermarket. Two packs are labeled "Ghost Peppers" and the third "Trinidad Scorpions". With each pack they through in one or two extra varieties. The company website indicates a very small list of types they produce: Trinidad Scorpion, Ghost, Scotch Bonnet, Spanish Chilli, Pencil Hot, Shishito.

This pod pictured certainly isn't a Scorpion, Ghost or Scotch Bonnet. I had to look up the Spanish Chilli, Pencil Hot and Shishito and it doesn't seem to fit the bill for any of those.

While it has the same shape as most Jolokia's I've seen, it's longer, larger and much more smooth and thick-walled. With a small bit of it I found it has a rather sweet taste to it that, at first, reminded me of a Bell pepper. After taking the seeds out (to save) I ate half of it and at that point the sweetness was still there, but the taste seemed closer to a Cayenne or Super-Chili. I'd place the heat level as close - but quite - near the Super-Chili. But unlike the Super-Chili it doesn't have a "bite" - it doesn't just hit you. It builds a tiny bit, levels off and then dies off.

Any idea of what type this may be? (sorry I don't have more info!)

Thanks!

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Cappuccino Ghost perhaps... I grew them last year and again this year. Mine looked more ghostly...

Yeah, this one is pretty smooth and nowhere near the heat level of a Ghost. It's definitely on the lower end of the heat scale and the taste is more like the Annuum's I've had. There does appear to be a few pods in the packs I picked up that appear to be chocolate/brown Ghost peppers. I plan to cut one open tonight and see how that goes. :)

Agreed with above. The thickness and skin texture reminds me of a jalp. Shot in the dark, but I'm guessing that that a jalapeño was bred into that at some point down the line. It is quite a pretty looking pepper though btw

JutsFL said:
Agreed with above. The thickness and skin texture reminds me of a jalp. Shot in the dark, but I'm guessing that that a jalapeño was bred into that at some point down the line. It is quite a pretty looking pepper though btw

That is was.. the color and shape is what caught my eye and convinced me to buy the pack (other than the fact that I wanted Ghost peppers lol). :)

Is it possible that the pepper in question wasn't 100% ripe?  I grew Jimmy Nardelos last year, and they went completely brown before finally turning red.  I was confused at first, but decided to leave on the plants longer, and sure enough, they started going to red.  Of course, what you have isn't a Jimmy Nardelo, but perhaps if we envision that it can go to red, it might open the door for more possibilities.

compmodder26 said:
Is it possible that the pepper in question wasn't 100% ripe?  I grew Jimmy Nardelos last year, and they went completely brown before finally turning red.  I was confused at first, but decided to leave on the plants longer, and sure enough, they started going to red.  Of course, what you have isn't a Jimmy Nardelo, but perhaps if we envision that it can go to red, it might open the door for more possibilities.

Good point.. I'm rather leaning towards thinking it's an Annuum, or at least a hybrid of one as has been suggested. The taste was nothing like the Hab, Ghosts or Naglah I've had. I tagged the company in a post I made on Twitter yesterday, but there's no response yet. Today is a holiday though, so hopefully there's still a chance they get back to me on it. :)

Back