• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Brown Colored roots/ root rot

I have noticed I am having some problems with the a root disease on my plants. The roots are turning brown and then the plant is dying. I heard peroxide will solve this any other cures? at what rate should h2o2 be applied? What could be the cause of this issue? Thanks for any help.

I am growing in containers under floros.

I'm guessing you are using a hydroponic method? There are solutions like "Zone" by Dutch Masters that helps out root rot, etc. You can find it for sale at most on-line hydroponic dealers. Cause could be lack of sufficient aeration, not enough 02 in the water.

I am growing in containers.

Its possible I over watered a bit.

I wish I could take pictures but I am a student and this is finals week (my parents plant sit during the week) the earliest I could get a picture is Wednesday. And cant do anything serious until Friday.

A simple fix for now would be great along with some long term prevention/treatment.

If I over watered watering more with peroxide wont be helpful, anyway around this.

Thanks for the help, sorry this is so complicated.

One benefit of peroxide is that it will oxygenate the roots as well as kill harmful critters. One very extreme method would be to take the plant out of the growing medium, remove (cut away) the visibly bad roots and then place the root ball in a solution of peroxide (3%) for about 10 minutes and then replant in new dirt. As mentioned above; 1 - 2 tbsp. of peroxide (3%) to 1 gal. of water.

It kills all beneficial bugs and bacteria as well as harmful ones.

But other than that it is pretty safe. If you have a compost pile at your parents house just put a scoop or two on top of each plant to try and replenish the good guys.

millworkman said:
It kills all beneficial bugs and bacteria as well as harmful ones.

But other than that it is pretty safe. If you have a compost pile at your parents house just put a scoop or two on top of each plant to try and replenish the good guys.

See, I am wondering if i didn't pick it up outside. We had trouble last year with the tomato blight and I can't help but wonder if its related( The effected tomatoes were disposed of elsewhere). The last plants I potted up I mixed in soil form the manure pile(well broken down) and those seem to be the ones that are mostly effected. Although I watered them a good bit more than I usually would, because they were very dry when I transplanted and i wouldn't be home for 2 weeks.

Back