• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Bubbleponice Superhots

JSKaiser

Banned
Okay guys. I have experimented with HIDs and different lighting and such, but this will be my first time going Hydro. I started my first Bubbleponics sytem this week. Ill be deciding what plants to put in it soon. Thought I would post up a little thread following the construction of the setup.

I plan on running this with my superhots. Not sure which ones to put in there. For sure some CPI Bhut Jolokias, and some Yellow 7 Pods. Any other suggestions?

So I started out with 2 36 Gallon Sterlite storage containers as resevoires.
HydroSetup105.jpg

Took the lid and figured out the placement of the net pots, and drew on the cutout sections.
HydroSetup112.jpg

Cut em out.
HydroSetup117.jpg

Making sure all of the pots fit well.
HydroSetup116.jpg

Resevoires with pots and lids in place.
HydroSetup118.jpg

Each resevoire is getting its own pump and 4 air stones, so the drilling commenced. Going to be using 1/4" hosing for the air, so the holes for each insert on the corners are for 1/2" rubber grommets.

Marked out spots on each corner to be drilled out.
HydroSetup120.jpg

Drilling.
HydroSetup121.jpg

Holes in place.
HydroSetup122.jpg

Inserted all 8 grommets.
HydroSetup127.jpg

Going to be using a submersible pump to keep water from becoming stale. Ended up choosing this one.
HydroSetup132.jpg

Next step was to drill a hole for its cord to fit through the lid.
Chose this spot as it is a little more sturdy, and there is a lesser chance of water making its way up out of it in any fashion.
HydroSetup135.jpg

Just about where the pump will be stuck to the inner wall.
HydroSetup136.jpg

Air pumps being used. Got one pumping into each resevoire.
HydroSetup129.jpg

Out of the box.
HydroSetup124.jpg

Using 2 10' pieces of 1/4" hosing and 2 6' pieces for each setup, so roughly 70 feet of hosing.
HydroSetup137.jpg

looks like you have done a pretty professional job there mate. What are you going to use for your medium?

Time to choose the air stones. Ended up deciding on 8 6" blue triangular air stones. May end up switching to larger stones depending on the perfomance of these guys.
HydroSetup153.jpg

Gave 2 of em a test run with one of the submersible circulation pumps to ensure proper function of the equipment.
Hooked up to the pump.
HydroSetup155.jpg

In the water working hard. Going to be so much oxygen. The plants will definitely love it. There will be two more stones in both resevoires, so most efinitely going to work well.
HydroSetup156.jpg

Next was the hard part. Lighting. Couldnt decide on HID or High Output Fluorescents. Finally decided on some full spectrum fluros to avoid the changing of bulbs and heat of the HIDs. Going to have 3 Red Spectrum Fluorescent bulbs and 3 Blue Spectrum Fluorescent bulbs in each fixture. Ening up going with the SunBlaze 46. Going to have a fixture over both setups to ensure adequate lighting for all of the plants.

HydroSetup159.jpg

Havent taken mine out of the box, but for comparison, this is the SunBlaze 48. It has 8 bulbs rather than the 6 Ill have going. Its a 4' T5 Fixture.
HydroSetup161.jpg

Going to be working on the Nuteints and feeding schedule this week as well as starting the seeds in some root riot trays to get them ready to put in ASAP!!!!

Picked up 20 Liters of Hyroton to use in the netpots.
Got 2 bags of this stuff just to make sure I have enough. 1 bag just didnt look like it would be enough.
HydroSetup139.jpg

Going to be using foil to cover the hydroton in the netpots when the plants are in place to avoid any light penetration to the roots and/or water. Dont want any damage to the roots or possible algie growing in the resevoires.

Dont have pics yet, but today I picked out the PPM food meter, and ph meter, as well as some resevoire water thermometers to monitor the temps. Got some hanging supports to support the lighting fixtures.

Also ended up getting some fox farm ocean forest potting soil for the potted plants.

The light fixtures themselves are 47"x17 1/2"x2 1/2" and put out 30,000 lumens with 6 4 foot 54W T5s running at 6,500 degrees K.

Heres a super short clip of the the testing of the air pump and circulation pump.

Ill be setting everything up at home tomorrow for the most part. Ill have pics up, and a video whenever its fully functioning.

Here are the 6" blue airstones.
HydroSetup2006.jpg

HydroSetup2005.jpg

The PPM food meter.
HydroSetup2002.jpg

PH Tester
HydroSetup2003.jpg

Probably going to get a 3 in one tester once I get the hang of things.

Resevoir Thermometers
HydroSetup2004.jpg

Also got some 3/4" hosing for the circulation pumps just in case there are any issues with the nozzle attachment. Figured I can attach the hose to the side of the resevoir and pump the water in a circular motion constantly to avoid it becoming stale and such.

All this being said, any suggestions on what plants to put in this bad boy? I have 2 for sure. CPI Bhut Jolokia, and Yellow 7s are a must like I said, but Im stuck on what else to add. I believe I will do brain strain, and maybe a Scorpion of some sort. Im open to ideas, experiment suggestions.

All products in the construction of this setup were provided by my associates and partners at JSH Equipment & Supplies, LLC. Horticultuure/Indoor Hydroponics

Thanks guys!!!
HydroSetup109-1.jpg

Keep an eye out for us. Soon we will have many many products available to you from my site. There will be indoor and outdoor equipment, lighting, buckets, mediums, nutrients, you name it.

Keep an eye out for us. Soon we will have many many products available to you from my site. There will be indoor and outdoor equipment, lighting, buckets, mediums, nutrients, you name it.

Hey JSKaiser, prices here for lighting are ridiculous. I was looking at those sun blaze fittings, what would it cost for shipping down here to New Zealand?

If you can PM me your address, I can get you an exact quote. Is this the system your interested in? There is a Sunblaze with 2 lights, 4 lights, 6 lights, and 8 lights. There are also some that are 24" bulb fixtures with 4, 6, and 8 lights.

Okay, quick edit to the above. The Light Fixture runs at 6,500 degrees K with the Blue Spectrum 54W T5s, and at 3,ooo degrees K with the Red 54W T5s, and still puts out about 30,000 Lumens. Forgot to put in the difference in the lights.

Looks good but one thing I did not see - how will you monitor both the water level and ppm/pH? Once the plants get any size lifting the net pots will become a real PITA.

I usually cut a small square hole on three sides, allowing me to fold back the plastic. I use a turkey baster to get a water sample and measure that. The flap also allows me to make sure the air is still bubbling. I've had air stones get clogged in the middle of the grow and though I knew the pump was working, the plant was not getting an oxygen.

Mike

Wow that's a really nice set up I can't wait to see what that system is really capable of mine was a big flop. My hateful wife wanted it to stay outside in the non air conditioned shed with a 400 watt hps light and that didn't work at all.

Back