• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Building a heat tolerance

You know, I wish the burn in my mouth would never go away. I can taste things fine, but I just love that long lasting burn. To me, the winding down of a good burn is like slowing down at the end of a great roller coaster ride.

You know, I wish the burn in my mouth would never go away. I can taste things fine, but I just love that long lasting burn. To me, the winding down of a good burn is like slowing down at the end of a great roller coaster ride.

For a Chilehead, I'm sure no truer words were ever spoken.

I have too have enjoyed the burn, but I have to admit to certain limits, as I have not yet attempted to eat my first fresh super hot yet.

Perhaps with any luck at all, I will have that chance next year, and then I will know what a TRUE burn is all about.;)

dvg

I , actually love the "HEAT" to stay and hate to let it go.

It gives a high as long as it is there.

Nowadays, I got a Thai hottie plant in house. I chew on a pepper straight from the plant and 

enjoy the bliss.

I read an article in the New York Times, where Dr. Paul Rozin at the University of Pennsylvania had found evidence of benign masochism in Chile Heads.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/21/science/21peppers.html?_r=3&ref=science

For example, he tested chili eaters by gradually increasing the pain, or, as the pros call it, the pungency, of the food, right up to the point at which the subjects said they just could not go further. When asked after the test what level of heat they liked the best, they chose the highest level they could stand, “just below the level of unbearable pain.” As Delbert McClinton sings (about a different line of research), “It felt so good to hurt so bad.”[end of quote]

And I experienced something similar last night.

I tried a smallish sized very ripe red habanero and really enjoyed the subtle burn in my mouth.

Enjoying the burn so much I tried another similar sized Hab and enjoyed it as well.

I even commented to my wife how much I was liking the burn.

Later, I tried a large red Habanero, and though the heat came on very slowly at first, it continued to build to the point that it was becoming uncomfortable, and I wouldn't say that I was really enjoying that burn, as much as I was just barely tolerating it.;)

dvg

wow, you got it going good on your way to becoming a chile head, I gotta work on that myself to, suprisngly chips that used to be spicy aren't anymore haha, if only I could eat or even try a habañero, probably would run straight to the water or something.. lol

No habs in AK? I can send you some.

woah, you'd send em my way :shocked: I'm not so sure if they'd survive the trip to my island haha

Ha ha. Maybe not. Not sure what I can do. If you know a way I can send them to ya without them gong bad I can. Just message me your address and what not. It's terrible you can't have one and I'd be happy to help!

Ha ha. Maybe not. Not sure what I can do. If you know a way I can send them to ya without them gong bad I can. Just message me your address and what not. It's terrible you can't have one and I'd be happy to help!

umm, I wondered about how to send em my way too, had a thought of vacuum sealing in a bag and it may survive, but then again I have doubts on that. but if you can think of a way too that'd be great, message sent :D

I guess that would be a "downfall" of building a tolerance. The hotter you go, the more the "old" sauces and peppers just dont cut it. BUT, with super hots, once you have had them, thats it. I think that's why a lot of us that have had the super hots Start to just seek out the better tasting peppers, even if they arent as hot. True, you can eat extracts. Good luck eating THOSE every day. Nothing GOOD can be had by eating extracts. Taste like SH*T, and screw your body up. True, there are a couple that taste decent, but just dont compare to regular sauces made with just peppers.
Some people will stick with eating super hots. I know that some people, including myself, have started going backwards a little and search out taste over heat. But, for ME, to keep my tolerance up, I still eat super hots on a regular basis to keep the tolerance up. Hell, I usually carry a little shaker with either super hot powder, or super hot flakes, just so I can get some heat in my food when I go out. lol

I do exactly the same, I always have one in my vehicles, my lunch box, my locker and cooler. Eating just isn't the same without a little burn to go with it!!

Doug, you stud!!
I'm very curious, what super hot types you're planning to grow this season.

I love to eat food cooked with the hottest types…I do taste the flavors they bring to the dish. There is no other ingredient that satisfies the pallet the way the super hots do. "Chocolate and Red Bhut" pizza is a weekly tradition at my house. My freezer is full so pizza will remain on the menu for quite some time. I eat two Caribbean Reds a day. The orange habs do nothing at all.

No worries Doug, your stomach and blow-hole will let you know when you have reached the tipping point. Then you will have to decide if it's worth it to continue or cut it back a tad. I choose to keep it all natural…and my body seems to love it that way!!

My 13 year old son's heat level is equal to mine, he gives me a big kick when commenting on other's wimpy heat tolerances. I have to remind him that most people are not as fortunate you and have no Idea what hot really is. Can you imagine what it must be like to grow up with these bad boys? Most of us have only known about them in our adult life. I wonder what the long term side effects might be.

Back