• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Building a new pepper garden.... Need your help.

I think it'll be tough to do with the "hoop holders" on the outside. You could cut or drill holes in the top of the beam and weld in a pipe to accept the PVC. Then you could just roll the cloth around another piece of PVC a few times and clamp it to the beam. I know it's a bit more work but it's just a thought. Lookin good so far. :cool:

50% shade cloth.

Hinged Grommet Fasteners

Ball Bungies

Or you could use screws with a washer under its head to attach the cloth to a 1"x2" length of wood and roll it up on the 1 by 2 strips when done. You'd need to match your section lengths to your 1/2" PVC spacing and allow a little overlap. Some hooks spaced along the steel and proper length of the cloth sections would allow a stretch installation across the PVC bows with the 1 by 2s tension anchored under the hooks. You'd still need some of the grommet fasteners for the end pieces.

Another method I considered would use taught steel cable stretched the length of the row, two above and two below attached with a small standoff to the steel beams at rows end or possibly split into 2 lengths meeting in the center of the row. Using the hinged grommets would allow the cloth to be easily slid along the cable to add or remove shade/shelter when needed.

I would go with 1" PVC just for piece of mind. If your climate get ANY rain or snow you DO NOT want any flat roof surface what so ever!! It will just collect rain until its to heavy and collapses. BTW your gonna LOVE those raised beds, they look awesome!!

So many good suggestions... I plan to research it this weekend and pick an option. I like the cable idea, but need to stand out there and visualize what will work best for me. I still have two weeks or so to get it done. We are continuing to fill the planters with alternating layers of top soil and compost. Irrigation goes in on Monday, using a 3/4" main line down the center with drip lines for each plant. I’m installing enough emitters for plants to be spaced at 24” (74 plants) but may decide to put the plants further apart when all is said and done. I'm trying to figure out how to include an injection point for fertilizer like AJ always talks about. Need to go back and find where he gives the link to the system he recommends.

2011-03-11_11-30-39_319.jpg

Oh and is there a difference in the following plant layout? Seems like if you stagger the plants you get a bit more room plus if you plant 3 of the same you get a nice little semi-protected area in the middle that could help to produce isolated seeds. The other way you would have to put 4 plants to get the same protect center area. The staggered layout also seems to have just a bit more room for each plant but I can't tell if it is just an optical illusion. The parallel layout is easier to do but the staggered layout seems a bit better, and if it is it would not be that big a deal to do. The below picture is assuming a 24" on center plant spacing.

GardenLayout.gif

Season started.... so I just planted even though I was not finished. Actually the landscapers start Wednesday morning to do the whole backyard. I will post pictures when they finish. My grow log has some photos with this seasons plants in it. Will post an update tomorrow.

Alright, thanks! I look forward to seeing the finished product. Also, I started reading your growlog last night. It has a ton of great info.

Matt

Back