event Building the better burger

Just submitted my entry for this years Sutter Home "Build a better Burger" contest !!!

I call it the "Fried Pinwheel Cheese Garlic Burger". (OK not a great name, but it says what it needs to.) It's an all beef burger with a fried plank of Mozzerella and Proscuitto pinwheel cheese dredged in a mixture of breadcrumbs and French's fried onions. It also has a glob of my homestyled dilled/roasted garlic aioli.

Hoping for good news, they announce the finalists on Sept. 4th.

I will expect all of you to cross your fingers for me. The burgers are to kill for, but the prep can be a bit fussy, so I am hoping they over look that last part.

Wanna get in the fun (first prize is $50,000, now that's FUN!) www.buildabetterburger.com/

Nice work! And thanks for the link.

Thanks. I, of course, think it's the best burger I ever ate and my wife is in total agreement (which means a lot cause she ain't afraid to tell me I suck), you just never know.

Now I can spend more time and effort on the sauce contest (s).

CH...there is no end to burgers bro. Between burgers and pizza, it is debatable which is the more perfect food. Course then there's BBQ. Your's sounds like another great burger. If you haven't already, go check out Chuk Hells burger on the thread of favorite burger joints. He does a great take on the Jucy Lucy. There is also a great burger site, A Hamburger Today, that absolutely rocks!! Hmmm...I love good proscuitto. Maybe time to fire up the grill and try your recipe. As always, Cheers Bro

chiliman said:
fried plank of Mozzerella and Proscuitto pinwheel cheese dredged in a mixture of breadcrumbs and French's fried onions.

Best of luck......I may be overly skeptical, but it sounds like a Heart Surgeons new Porsche.

Oh yeah, I don't cook for the health of it. I am all about the gluttony and pleasure. I would not suggest eating it daily!

chiliman said:
Oh yeah, I don't cook for the health of it. I am all about the gluttony and pleasure. I would not suggest eating it daily!

have you ever seen a psychic about your possible past lives? not that I believe in that stuff, but I'm having a vision of you being Henry VIII reincarnate...

chiliman said:
fried plank of Mozzerella and Proscuitto pinwheel cheese dredged in a mixture of breadcrumbs and French's fried onions.
"All cooked elements of the recipe must be prepared on a standard outdoor grill."

Was it deep fried on the grill?

chiliman said:
but the prep can be a bit fussy, so I am hoping they over look that last part.
"The Preliminary Judging Panel will eliminate entries with lengthy ingredients lists, complicated techniques, or too many components, as well as recipes that are deemed too fussy or too fancy."

Hope so too!

Inasfar as the fried piece, I start the burgers on the grill in a fry pan, allowing the fat to collect in the pan (3 minutes or so on each side) then transfer them to the grill rack. Then the cheese goes into the hot grease and fries while the bugers finish on the rack.

For the ingredient list, I checked out a bunch of the recipes on the list of past winners, and mine is not out of hand compared to what has been done before.

I usually go for very simple recipe's but just was having a ball with this one and it grew, I hope, as well, that it pases through. If not, I will post the recipe here for all to enjoy!

chiliman good luck! I entered 4 recipes. Maybe we'll get to compete against each other!

4!!! You are a burger beast! I only got my 1 recipe entered because of a rampant case of insomnia. I guess being a guy who's business peeks in the summer months is slightly detrimental to my chances! ;)

I would like nothing more than to go toe to toe with the Pep! Good luck and see you in Cali!

So chiliman and I did not make it this year. Here's one of the four, exactly how I submitted it. I made all four up the night before or day of lol. The other three were simpler, and I may improve upon them. Next year I'm going to start earlier and actually make them :lol:
=======================================

Greek Geek Burger

I call this the Greek Geek Burger... it's a burger with Greek ingredients in a pita pocket, which is a nice hand-held bread that prevents drips from hitting your keyboard, hence, Greek Geek.

Ingredients: *
1/2 lemon
1 tablespoon fresh dill
3 garlic cloves
2 cucumbers
2 8 ounce containers plain yogurt
1 cup olive oil
1 1/4 teaspoons sea salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
3 vine ripened tomatoes
1 red onion
1 cup fresh spearmint
1 pound ground lamb
1 3/4 pounds ground sirloin
1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
8 ounces pitted Kalamata olives
4 ounces feta cheese
6 pitas (pocket)

Instructions: *
First prepare the tzatziki sauce so it can chill. Tzatziki sauce preparation: Juice the lemon half, chop the dill, peel the garlic cloves, and peel and dice one of the cucumbers. Combine them in a food processor or blender along with the yogurt, 1/2 cup of the olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon of the sea salt, and the white pepper. Blend until a smooth consistency. Put into a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until ready to use. Toppings: Peel and dice the other cucumber and the tomatoes. Slice the red onion into thin rings. Rub the spearmint between your hands to break it up. Mix these ingredients in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until ready to use. Forming Patties: Combine the lamb and beef in a bowl. Mix well by hand. Add 1/2 teaspoon of the sea salt and the cracked black pepper. Stuff each olive with feta cheese. Now, put the stuffed olives into the bowl with the meat. Carefully mix the olives into the burger meat. When mixed well, form six patties by hand. Cooking: Heat the gas grill to medium/high, lid open. Let the grill heat up. When ready (keeping lid open while cooking), lay each patty on the grill and baste with olive oil liberally. After 6 minutes turn the patties over. Now baste this side with olive oil liberally (save enough olive oil to baste each pita, each side). While the burgers are cooking, cut the top third of the pita pockets off to open the pocket. Brush each side of the bread lightly with the rest of the olive oil and sprinkle lightly with the rest of the sea salt. Throw the pitas on the grill (over the flame) and heat on each side for 15 seconds. Remove the burgers after six minutes. Slide the burgers into the pitas, add the fresh toppings, and top with the tzatziki sauce. Ready to eat!

chiliman, they open back up 4/15. You ready?

We are travelling to Disney this next week, I may take a page from your book and just write recipes and send them.

Alright Pep, had some thinkin time inthe car to Disney. I have, at this writing, 4 good recipe's to send. I am working on a alternative burger as well. I used two Disney restaurants as inspiration for burgers, made one up within twominutes of getting in the car, and had one in the queue that I should have sent last year. So I will be sending at tleast 5 at this point.

Whatchoo got?!

Good luck, they had this contest in Bon Appetite mag in 2000, burger sounds good, hope you win the extra Beer money.

Back