• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Building tolerance?

How long does it generally take to build up to the hots? I've tried a couple of habs, but I'm really not ready for them yet. I also didn't wear gloves when slicing one...big mistake.

I started out 9 months ago with some habanero hot sauce and chopped jalapenos on most meals. I then moved onto habanero powder and worked my way progressively up the heat range of a certain company's hot sauce from tingly to apocalypse. As of about 3 months ago I have entered super hot territory with no adverse effects (stomach pain, etc).

So for me it was 6 months of moving progressively hotter. There is nothing that will prepare you for a moruga scorpian or some of the bhuts, but that's part of the fun. It's always a nice surprise to taste something that knocks me on my a$$, and there will always be something.

Good luck!
:onfire:

it depends on the person, i started literally just last month eating under 100k, then i just started eating the orange habanero powder i made on EVERYTHING. and then well......you can go see the video for yourself XD. i leaped really really far and ate a whole chocolate bhut jolokia........it did not end well, but just last night i ate half a red bhut and no promblems whatsoever :D all depends on the person i believe. :cheers:

I started eating habanero's on everything. And then I got a hold of some dried bhut jolokia and started eating one in whatever I was eating. I have eaten a couple of dried bhut jolokia by themselves. They are hot as hell but tolerable now. I am waiting on some fresh pods so that I can see how hot they are. Just eat them and it will become easier.

Welcome Mandorin!
I say, have a couple drinks and start with a half of a Fatalli, or a whole Hab. Once you see the rainbows and unicorns, (aka endorphins)... you're hooked and well on your way.
I't's kind of like swimming in cold water, Just jump in!
No matter what tho, Have Fun!

P.S. People here are divided about the glove thing, I personally ehr on the side of caution, I'm "pro gloves". Never no mind, just prepping you... :welcome:

Welcome Mandorin!
I say, have a couple drinks and start with a half of a Fatalli, or a whole Hab. Once you see the rainbows and unicorns, (aka endorphins)... you're hooked and well on your way.
I't's kind of like swimming in cold water, Just jump in!
No matter what tho, Have Fun!

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I made the mistake of picking up some sliced peppers with my fingers... 4-5 days later I still tasted heat when licking my finger eating some chicken.

LOL..

I'm pro-glove also... I have small kids.. I don't need to rub there head and leave 1.4 million scoville burning there forehead. Might be a small surprise when
my wife comes home and kisses them good night and burns her lips off.. That wouldn't go over to well.

I'm already hooked on the endorphins. I just get them from serranos at the moment. I love my coffee, but when it comes to waking me up, it just doesn't do anywhere near as good a job. I must admit, I adore the flavor of a hab.

Honestly, it has been years since i have had a Hab. And it was A Hab. A few weeks ago Justaguy sent me a Yellow TScorp, and Down the hatch. I figured, I'm not gonna DIE, although I may feel that way. Tried an Assam Bhut Monday and thought this is it, you CAN die from a pepper. But it is over, great experience, and now onto bigger/hotter things.

I think that tolerance may not matter AS MUCH when talking about Supers. I am fairly new to it, but we are talking hundreds of thousands of SHU differences. If you can eat a few Jals raw, you could probably eat a Serrano or two without much of a problem. But if you can eat a few Habs and manage it, there will still be a HUGE difference when you down something in the "Super" category. I am sure building up tolerance can help with the heat management, but i am a bit :crazy: and figure if i eat the hottest, everything else will be cake...

Someone like Beagle may have a way different opinion as he has eaten pretty much anything.

Just do it.

Matt

With such a big gap between the hottest normals and a super, and it begs the question: why the gap? With pepper hybridization, shouldn't it eventually be possible to aim for a new cultivar every 50,000 SHU or so? (Keep in mind, I know very, very little of gardening, and far less than that of hybridizing). Found out the hard way earlier that I have farther to go than I thought. Took a teaspoon full of hot sauce, trying to make up for a lack of pods. It wasn't even very impressive hot sauce. My eyes and nose had no complaints. My stomach, however, felt like a scene out of Alien.

With such a big gap between the hottest normals and a super, and it begs the question: why the gap? With pepper hybridization, shouldn't it eventually be possible to aim for a new cultivar every 50,000 SHU or so? (Keep in mind, I know very, very little of gardening, and far less than that of hybridizing). Found out the hard way earlier that I have farther to go than I thought. Took a teaspoon full of hot sauce, trying to make up for a lack of pods. It wasn't even very impressive hot sauce. My eyes and nose had no complaints. My stomach, however, felt like a scene out of Alien.

Was it a hot sauce with extract?

I don't think so. It came as part of a larger bundle, and the ingredients were on the box the bundle came in. Going by the way it felt in my throat, I'd say it had some cayenne and some generic 'chili powder'. This was the first time any of the bottles in the bundle gave that kind of reaction, and this wasn't the hottest of the bunch (I finished that one some time ago.)

I love my coffee, but when it comes to waking me up, it just doesn't do anywhere near as good a job. I must admit, I adore the flavor of a hab.

This is so true. A fresh hot pepper, first thing in the morning, is the best way to start the day. No late morning crash either. I quit drinking coffee about 5 or so years ago.

Back