smokers Built in BBQ Smokers

anyone have a built in BBQ/smoker? I am working on designing one for my patio. With the amount of cookouts and parties we do throughout the year its worth it to me.... Here is a "CRUDE" drawing of what I am planning to build it is a horizontal smoker....

patioplan.jpg

We are going for a Tropical or Tiki Style for our pation. I have a small built in firepit in the corner of the patio that I am gonna convert to s small foutain. The lil Tiki Dude standing there to the right is gonna be peeing into the small pool for the foutain. LOL

Looks interesting
I have some designs I've been considering although I want mine to be a smoker but also have a built in brick oven for bread and pizza etc.

I think it would be really nice, but the design you have seems a bit large for a smoker. Looks more like an outside oven or pizza oven then a smoker. Keep in mind that a smoker that size would take a LOT of wood to even heat up let alone maintain a temp of around 250 degrees. Plus you would loose most of your smoke right out of the front and the top as it's not really air (smoke) tight. I've seen a smoker built into a patio, but it was basically an internal unit that was then covered with brick to match the rest of the grill. It was a tall offset smoker that was lined with thick metal to ensure it was air tight and had a large adjustable baffle at the top. Basically looked like that took a large vertical smoker that was already made and just put the brick around it.

Here are a couple of pics of verticle smokers that you could use to gage the concept that i'm talking about.

landmann-patio-barbecue-cooker-quadque.jpg

24-vertical-open.jpg

Looks good Dyce.....

I do agree with LGHT in regards to be not looking like a smoker but you did mention pipes and such to get the heat and smoke to the cooking area....How does that work?

I'm slowly building a UDS (ugly drum smoker) using a 44 gallon drum...Can't wait till it's done....

I am also going to have something that looks more like what you have drawn, in the future, but it will be an outdoor woodfire pizza oven....

the newer design I have....I've pushed the storage cabinet over to the left and added a smaller firebox to it. I will scan the new drawing in a lil while and post it. The smoker is not really that large.....the big smoker is out back.....it measures 3' x 4' x 5' tall looks like an outhouse has an firebox off to the side for cold smokeing and a burner inside for hot smoke. That one is not completed yet I usually make a hell of a lot of sausage and kielbasa and smokies!!!

44 imperial gallons equals our 55 US gallons - same drum

moyboy said:
Looks good Dyce.....

I do agree with LGHT in regards to be not looking like a smoker but you did mention pipes and such to get the heat and smoke to the cooking area....How does that work?

I'm slowly building a UDS (ugly drum smoker) using a 44 gallon drum...Can't wait till it's done....

I am also going to have something that looks more like what you have drawn, in the future, but it will be an outdoor woodfire pizza oven....

Back