• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Burned leaves...

What could cause this? Sun or fertilizer?

I can tell you that these plants (nagabons) are near east side window together with anaheims, jalapenos and some chocolate cherry tomato. Fertilizer is same for all because they are in self watering bottles. Only nagabons have burned leaves and this one which I took a photo, fell off this morning.
:tear:

so, that is the reason?

could be that anaheims, jalapenos and tomatoes are more hungry than nagabons...
:/

I've just did some measuring. My tap water is 430ppm and diluted with liquid tomato fertilizer (half dose) is 550ppm. Full dose for tomatoes is 750ppm.

I diluted (and dedicated) one bottle , for nagabons only.

Burned leaves will fall off, for sure?

Not necessarily. Mild burn typically won't cause them to fall. If they are severely burned, then yes they probably will. I have a few plants that had fert burn from my previous fertilizer and they never lost the burned leaves.

plant transferred into bigger pots, properly flushed and I feed them with rain water only, so far, no noticeable improvement:

dsc02276ma.jpg

dsc02277vk.jpg

dsc02278o.jpg

dsc02279ty.jpg

and this is my only tam jalapeno, everything was great till yesterday.
dsc02280k.jpg

anaheims and tomatoes doing great under exactly the same conditions.

I found that nagas are pretty sensitive to fertilizer. It's also very tough to work with small containers! The sunlight through the window shouldn't burn them :) .

I found that nagas are pretty sensitive to fertilizer. It's also very tough to work with small containers! The sunlight through the window shouldn't burn them :) .

pretty sensitive to fertilizer? what do you mean by that, should I use no fertilizer at all or should I use some specific one?

they are in 7l (little less than 2 gallons) self watering containers at the moment but that is not their final "destination".
;)

pretty sensitive to fertilizer? what do you mean by that, should I use no fertilizer at all or should I use some specific one?

they are in 7l (little less than 2 gallons) self watering containers at the moment but that is not their final "destination".
;)

I can't figure out a balance for fert yet :( . I'm using red plastic cups to start mine and then I'm planting them in the ground. You will have an easier time with the bigger pots. What I'm doing now is not feeding them at all since I nuked them pretty good, lol. My cayennes needed food and they did fine so i thought the superhots would like the same amount of fert (not at all, lol). I'm just getting my plants ready for going into the ground so someone who has more experience with potted plants will have good advice. My plants are in the ground before they reach the size of your plants.

The soil looks quite wet. Is the top damp?

It does look too damp. Less water is better than too much water. I've let a few wilt and their roots grow much more (seems like they are searching for water!). Be very careful with water it can dampen root growth (some of mine that I gave too much water have shallow root systems) and even cause rotting.

Edit: I just notice that your soil is covered (tinfoil?). That could cause water to get trapped in there. Remember that peppers are typically from hot dry climates.

I'll keep an eye on this thread. 3/4 of my Lemon Drops have leaves just like those, yet the fourth and all my habs, jalapenos, bonnets and my Trinidad Perfume are totally fine. Was wondering if it could be too much fertilizer, but it started at a point where I'd only given them a single small dosis. Those three plants have also been watered a bit less than the others for a while and they've been located in another windows that the ones that are healthy.

my all three problematic pots smells like mold. anaheims are obviously much more thirsty (same conditions and anaheims grow like crazy) than jalapenos and nagabons. funny thing is that nagabons had) tons of buds (almost all pinched by now, at least 30 an two plants both) despite to all troubles. those are little fighters and I think they'll return me all that back through fruit hotness.
:)

all three water reservoirs are empty now, we'll see what will happen in the future.

soon I'll have to start hardening them off so it's time to breath some more life to those plants.

it could be but I think that the main reason is over watering.
my plants are still live but not very happy, there are a lot of future flowers on them, though, but it'll be long recovering progress.
will post some pics these days...

IMO the majority of the time when your plants start dropping leaves, they are too wet...

over-watering is the number one killer of chili plants...well, it may be number two, growers being too "careful" with their plants kill a lot too....

Back