• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Butch Scorpion

Its been 2 weeks,

and im not seeing nothing popping up out of the dirt out of 30 seeds I dropped, but since some of the seeds did

go deep due to pouring water, causing them to be buried bout 1 inch to 1.5 inchs.

Any body having issues about with the hippy seeds? im hoping just for a 10-25% sprout rate now.......

Ive had nothing short of excellent results from every seed I have received from Hippy!
I agree that you may have planted a little deep!
But have patience, they will find their way up!! :cool:

Kevin

You kind of answered your own question papadaca. Seeds planted an inch to an inch and a half deep, no matter how they got there, are going to take forever to break the surface.

I'll echo bradley26's question about soil temp. Mid 80's is about the best temp to germinate superhot seeds at.

i personally found that using a spray bottle to wet the soil till they pop up and till the they are big enough to just water in full! that way i do not over water them!

I have had the illusive little buggers come up a month later. Don't give up on them - Chinense variants have a reputation for being very late sprouters.

Enough water to bury them that deep is way too much water. you need to keep them moist, not wet.
There's nothing wrong with Neil's seeds. top grade.

i personally found that using a spray bottle to wet the soil till they pop up and till the they are big enough to just water in full! that way i do not over water them!
I also use a spray bottle to water the pods I sowed seeds into. I don't want the seeds to move about in the mix especially after they've germinated. I found that even when pouring water carefully the potting mix moved too much for my liking.

I still use the spray bottle after they've sprouted as a watering method that allows me to measure how much I've watered each seedling by the number of sprays.

I have (re)moved the medium from above seeds that have germinated carefully to expose hooks that were too deep. This may be an option although you need to be careful not to damage the hooks and stop excavating the pot the moment you see the top of a hook.

100%..... correct-toe,....Can't see what your using without photos, but if your using seed flats it helps to keep a plastic dome or a piece of saran wrap over it , moist is the key, not wet air needs to circulate through the soil, I'm growing Butch T's from "Hippy", no problem with germination, more than 3 wks seems alot, I don't like to do this but if you think the seeds were pushed to deep you could always probe up the soil a bit to make sure the seeds didn't rot, that would also let some air in which might help dry the soil a bit.........go look again they're probably starting to come up now ......one-by-one :)

They should only be about 1/4" deep. What is the soil temperature?
I will guess room temperature.

cause im finding it funny, I planted them the Same day as my Nu Mex heritage 6-4 seeds and the new mexico chili so far, 13 of those bad boys sprouted............

any of you order from the hippy's? 36 seeds total and not one chili-ling

Ive had nothing short of excellent results from every seed I have received from Hippy!

Kevin

technically I planted on top of the soil, some are still above. but I may break out the humidity dome?

do any of you gentleman think is time for the dome????

were lookin at 80s this week.

I will guess room temperature.

cause im finding it funny, I planted them the Same day as my Nu Mex heritage 6-4 seeds and the new mexico chili so far, 13 of those bad boys sprouted............

any of you order from the hippy's? 36 seeds total and not one chili-ling

It's not the seeds. It's your gardening. Use something small to empty your cells and use a toothpick to break up the soil and find the seeds if they haven't rotted yet. Then put them 1/4" beneath the soil. Then water from the bottom so they don't get buried again.

Kevin

technically I planted on top of the soil, some are still above. but I may break out the humidity dome?

good news everybody

I have one that sprouted!

thank CHili gods for this rain. Something about this rain water that causes plants to sprout.

I will have one butch scorpion plant!

It's ok to break the humidity dome once they have some real roots, in fact it's necessary after they're no longer hooks or you might get dampening off.

If I plant 36 seeds I want to see 36 plants.

So you planted 36 seeds with hopes of how many growing? Some seeds are buried, some are on the top, and who knows where the rest of them are right? Growing peppers isn't hard, just about idiot proof actually. The thing is you have to help them get started, not dare them too. Use a moist growing medium and once you place the seed about 1/8 of an inch deep into it keep it moist. MOIST! Not soaked. You should keep the growing medium warm, mid to upper 80's also. The dome is one more thing that should be used while the SEEDS ARE TRYING TO GERMINATE!! Once they've popped through the soil then remove them from the germination station and put them under lights. Florescent lights are the best at this time. The light needs to be close to the seedlings. Like two inches close. Good luck.

If I plant 36 seeds I want to see 36 plants.

So you planted 36 seeds with hopes of how many growing? Some seeds are buried, some are on the top, and who knows where the rest of them are right? Growing peppers isn't hard, just about idiot proof actually. The thing is you have to help them get started, not dare them too. Use a moist growing medium and once you place the seed about 1/8 of an inch deep into it keep it moist. MOIST! Not soaked. You should keep the growing medium warm, mid to upper 80's also. The dome is one more thing that should be used while the SEEDS ARE TRYING TO GERMINATE!! Once they've popped through the soil then remove them from the germination station and put them under lights. Florescent lights are the best at this time. The light needs to be close to the seedlings. Like two inches close. Good luck.

you think LED ilghts will work at the 3-4 inch away proximitey?

LED lights have different projection angels and different luminous output. some LEDs will not work an inch away and some will work 2 feet away.

Its been 2 weeks,

and im not seeing nothing popping up out of the dirt out of 30 seeds I dropped, but since some of the seeds did

go deep due to pouring water, causing them to be buried bout 1 inch to 1.5 inchs.

Any body having issues about with the hippy seeds? im hoping just for a 10-25% sprout rate now.......

Yeah, this year I ordered 5 varieties fromm Hippy, 4 had 0% germination rate and one had 60% germination rate. I don't know, people seem to have had good experiences with Hippy, maybe I just got unlucky, but with some other suppliers I basically always get close to 100% germination so I think I'm gonna stick with them.

Yeah, this year I ordered 5 varieties fromm Hippy, 4 had 0% germination rate and one had 60% germination rate. I don't know, people seem to have had good experiences with Hippy, maybe I just got unlucky, but with some other suppliers I basically always get close to 100% germination so I think I'm gonna stick with them.
That's odd. what varieties did you order? what medium did you use? what was the temp? how long did you wait? also, did you tell Neil about it?

That's odd. what varieties did you order? what medium did you use? what was the temp? how long did you wait? also, did you tell Neil about it?

Hot cherry, Numex Twillight, Fatalli, Jalapeno and I think one of the Habaneros...

I used the same thing I always use, vermiculite in little plastic cup things... The temperature was between 24 and 28 celsius, I waited for 2 months (3 weeks actively and then I just left them while I germinated Judy's seeds).

No, I didn't tell Neil - at that point I wasn't sure whether or not I was doing something wrong. Now I know, I wasn't.

EDIT: I was particularly surprised "Hot Cherry" didn't germinate, because there were a gazillion seeds in the pack... In the end only NuMex Twillight germinated with an "ok" rate.

Back