• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Butch Ts, Red Congos- no success

None, really. I found that being as simple as possible made everything work. I used a peat pot, and some Home Depot Miracle Gro soil, all in a propagation tray under a heat mat. Otherwise, some people use the ziploc bag method to do it too.

Patience is a virtue. Keep em warm and moist. I like to spritz mine with a water bottle twice a day just to keep them moist till they sprout not soaking wet just moist

Try the cups method. It worked well for me, better than sandwich bags IMO.

Check out the experiment and methods here

+1

DSC02050.jpg

I put my BT's in a tray mixed with 1/2 vermiculite and 1/2 mg seeding soil. Got them good and moist, put the seed in about 1/4", covered the tray with plastic wrap and put in a warm place and then voila', seedlings.

Photo-0188.jpg

Photo-0193.jpg

Butch T's can take up to 10 days under the most ideal conditions, and possibly longer if not using optimum methods. As far as Red Congo's go, I stripped the seeds from pods sent to me by Gary (Windchicken). Those seeds were dryed, but very fresh. Four days from planting they were poking thru the soil. On the other hand, my own seed stock of the Congo's took seven days. They were seeds dryed out of peppers from this past July. Harder hulls? Different origin?............who knows

The best thing you can do is give it time.

Greg

I have used Jiffy seed starting mix every year. I have a small rack with a plastic cover, a small electric heater/fan and set it at 78..it keeps it around 80-82 in there. I have had red congos and bhuts pop up in 5-10 days. I mist them as needed and I do soak the seeds overnight before I plant them.

+1 on heat and moisture....somewhere around but not over 86F constant is best..

and moisture...yup...that's the thing....once the germination process starts...if at any time the soil you are starting them in dries out, instant death...it kills the embryo...

Back